PDA

View Full Version : Pamphleteers of the Second Revolution

AbolishTheGovt
10-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I've been so extremely frustrated with the state of affairs in this nation over the past couple years, and especially the past couple months. For a short moment in time, We the People thought we had stopped the horrid financial bailout bill dead in its tracks, only to find out a week later, as we watched it soar through the Senate and House without a hitch, over the heads of 90% of Americans, that apparently the reason Congress didn't pass it the first time was not because they feared the will of the People or the financial damage this theft would do or even their sacred oaths to uphold the Constitution. The reason was, apparently, that the bailout wasn't big enough. This was just the icing on a cake that included such offenses as the Democrats' complete and total spineless capitulation to the Bush regime on the war and personal privacy, an upping of the aggression against foreign countries like Russia and Pakistan and Iran, the first deployment in our country's history of US military in our own backyards under US Northern Command, and on the night of the debate, the assault on and trampling of our veterans by yellow-bellied police goons, too cowardly to come down off their big strong horses and try assaulting our brethren in uniform man-to-man.

I know many of you are just as pissed off as I am about the direction this country is going. A few weeks ago, I proposed starting a movement to abolish the United States federal government on November 5th, 2009 (as our Declaration of Independence and many of our state constitutions authorize us to do). I got a lot of approving sentiment behind it (60-70% of RPF was behind the idea), but no one was willing to truly commit to the idea and help out in tangible ways. I understand that it may be too early to get enough people together to accomplish something of that magnitude.

That idea didn't seem to float, but I can't sit down and merely keep doing what I've been doing for the past couple years since I found out about Ron Paul and became a libertarian. For us to keep doing what we've been doing for the past two years (and for the past two centuries, really) is TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE. We need a new plan. Something big. Something that will actually work.

I started thinking of ways to really shake things up, and I suddenly remembered back in the days of the Republican primaries how we noticed vast improvements in Ron Paul's polling numbers in districts where newspaper campaigns had been waged by the grassroots. For some reason or combination of reasons, even in this high tech age, old fashioned newspapers still seem to have a far greater effect on the public dialogue than almost any other form of media. In fact, it was through ordinary printed pamphlets and newspapers that both the original American Revolution and the adoption of our Constitution came to fruition. But before our Second Revolution, as many on this board have rightly pointed out, we must have an educated populace, otherwise our Revolution may simply result in an even worse form of government replacing the current one.

So, here's what I propose:

Would anyone be willing to join me in a group of writers who would pledge to submit editorials, articles, letters to the editor, etc. to their local newspapers on a very frequent basis (maybe a pledge to submit at least one piece every month)? The goal would be to get a strict libertarian piece in every issue of every notable newspaper in the country. We may never achieve that quantity, but the point is to be aggressive and ambitious and unyielding in our pushing of the truly important issues back into the national debate.

Part of having a group called the Pamphleteers of the Second Revolution would be that we could help each other coordinate, we could network our resources, and we could have a number of skilled editors who would be willing to proofread other writers' pieces and help one another get the best quality literature out there that is most likely to be picked up by local papers.

Is this a campaign that anyone would be interested in? Can you truly commit to submitting writings to your local newspapers on an extremely regular basis?

ClockwiseSpark
10-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Already doing it here.

AbolishTheGovt
10-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Already doing it here.

Thank you. That's terrific.

I realize a lot of you folks are already on the ball regarding this, and part of the group would be to bring those people into the fold to help aspiring revolutionaries learn the ropes of writing for newspapers, getting published, writing well, etc.

ClockwiseSpark
10-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you. That's terrific.

I realize a lot of you folks are already on the ball regarding this, and part of the group would be to bring those people into the fold to help aspiring revolutionaries learn the ropes of writing for newspapers, getting published, writing well, etc.

We had the great fortune to have a old school revolutionary guiding us. He set us straight rather quickly.

AbolishTheGovt
10-17-2008, 09:13 PM
We had the great fortune to have a old school revolutionary guiding us. He set us straight rather quickly.

Awesome. That's the kind of guidance and knowhow I'd like this group to be able to grant access to for revolutionary writers across the country.

ClockwiseSpark
10-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Awesome. That's the kind of guidance and knowhow I'd like this group to be able to grant access to for revolutionary writers across the country.

Well, if you like I can speak to my friend. He's 83 years old and this is his life. I know he would be interested in helping.

AbolishTheGovt
10-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Bump.

TastyWheat
10-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Not sure how this would work out, but how about starting a wiki-based site to collaborate on articles? I'm not sure if an open, anything-goes kind of site would be the best way to collaborate and refine ideas of liberty. Just throwing it out there.

Anyway, I write a semi-regular blog as it is. Might as well write to an audience that may actually read it. :(

AbolishTheGovt
10-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Not sure how this would work out, but how about starting a wiki-based site to collaborate on articles?

What's that, and how do you do it? I'm not entirely familiar...

TastyWheat
10-19-2008, 12:02 AM
What's that, and how do you do it? I'm not entirely familiar...
I've never done it myself, but you can download MediaWiki (Wikipedia's framework). It's just a system in which anybody can create "articles" and edit them. I'm not sure if it would work be a very efficient system, but it may help take rough ideas to a more polished letter, pamphlet or newsletter. Just throwing it out there, but it could be just as effective, if not more so, to just agree to submit letters to newspapers every month.

yongrel
10-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Gentlemen... meet the Free Turkey.

http://thefreeturkey.com/

;)

raiha
10-19-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm thinking of having a blog called "The Shackled Goose"

Thanks for the mediawiki tip. I'm writing away as fast as i can in this country but i often get too hooked into the internet, reading rather than writing....There's SOOOO much going on economically and globally right now,.. its hard to focus on writing...sigh

gb13
10-19-2008, 10:10 AM
This should be stickied... Now.

mediahasyou
10-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Aye. Let's take this revolution off coarse of the internet. And infiltrate the world.'

p.s. my local newspaper has a place on the net where blog entries can be submitted. About 2 blogs are shown in each paper.

dr. hfn
10-19-2008, 10:14 AM
bump, i already send letters to editor every month to all the local and national media

AbolishTheGovt
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
bump

ItsTime
10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Members of my meet up group started a whole paper! It is doing very well.