PDA

View Full Version : JREF forum

BillyDkid
10-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey guys, I have been a member of the James Randi forum for a number of years and for the most part I have been a lone voice for liberty (in the libertarian sense) and the contempt for libertarians is palpable. I have also been defending Ron Paul for a long time and they invariably parrot back the same horse shit they have been spoon fed by the media. I need some allies over there. It would mean a lot to me to get some more people who understand economics and liberty and the dangers of big government in there with me.

I do the best I can, but am not the best possible spokesman. There are a lot of interesting discussions over there besides politics. Be warned though, these are generally very smart, if narrow minded people and if you go in there like a blowhard and half cocked they will hand you your ass. If you make a claim, be sure you can support it. You're just not going to win an ideological argument, but if you can support your positions with evidence and with logic, maybe we can make some headway. There will always be those who will call you and Dr. Paul whackos and conspiracy theorists not matter what you say.

The reason I think this matters is this - these are almost all very smart, post grad/ professional type people and honestly, I don't think we can make any headway next time without reaching these type of people. Additionally, it matter to me because I have been a member of that forum for a long time. Also, in here and other places like this it is great to share feelings and ideas and get support, but we are mostly preaching to the choir. We don't need to convince other freedom lovers of the value of liberty. We need to convince the people who think the answer lies with government and the social engineering from our betters. Thanks. It would be nice to have some support in there and it would be nice to be able to convince some people who already think they know everything.

yongrel
10-17-2008, 05:00 PM
I've been a lurker over there for a while. I've had no desire to dive in with political posts because I know I'll automatically be tarred with the brush of the truthers. Perhaps I'll rethink this and try a few posts.

BillyDkid
10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I've been a lurker over there for a while. I've had no desire to dive in with political posts because I know I'll automatically be tarred with the brush of the truthers. Perhaps I'll rethink this and try a few posts.Thanks, I appreciate it. You know, for people who supposedly love the truth some of them are pretty closed minded. Often their only argument is to post the laughing dog - the suggestion being that what you have said is not even worth responding to. I was up late the other night and posted a not very well thought out defense of libertarianism. Honestly, I have been afraid to go back and look at the responses. I am a pretty sensitive guy and get my feeling hurt pretty easily.