PDA

View Full Version : Automaker Lays Off Detroit Office With Blog Post

speech
10-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Tesla notifies Detroit workers today they were laid off two days ago...today! In a sign of what this new Financiapocalypse might bring, employees in the Metro Detroit branch of electric car maker Tesla Motors were laid off via a blog post. Yesterday, we reported that Tesla would be cutting back and reorganizing, which included shutting down the office in Rochester Hills, near Detroit. Unfortunately, no one told the employees in Rochester Hills. Some of them logged on to find that they were now, according to their own website, obsolete. But it gets worse.

We're hearing that approximately 90% of the office was simply let go, and the remaining employees have to make their way to the San Jose headquarters with no moving costs covered, no increase in salary and no help getting rid of their old homes. Fortunately, the real estate market in Detroit is red-hot, and the cost of living is about the same in San Jose.... right?

The relevant section from the Tesla pink slip blog-post-of-death below:

There will also be some headcount reduction due to consolidation of operations. In anticipation of moving vehicle engineering to our new HQ in San Jose, we are ramping down and will close our Rochester Hills office near Detroit. Good communication, tightly knit engineering and a common company culture are of paramount importance as Tesla grows.

That's right folks, "good communication" is key.
http://waronyou.com/forums/index.php?topic=1778.msg4553;topicseen#new

angelatc
10-17-2008, 04:59 PM
I don't understand how it wouldn't be better to close the San Jose offices and stay in Michigan.

Real estate is cheap, labor is plentiful, and it's not California.

I hope nobody buys their stupid cars.

torchbearer
10-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't understand how it wouldn't be better to close the San Jose offices and stay in Michigan.

Real estate is cheap, labor is plentiful, and it's not California.

I hope nobody buys their stupid cars.

Aren't they very expensive cars?
I had once looked into getting a Tesla, because they make very aesthetically pleasing cars with much performance for an electric car.
But the price tag was the same as homes in my area.

http://defensivedrivingcars.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/who-tesla-electric-car.jpg

JohnMeridith
10-17-2008, 05:38 PM
wow, way to tarnish tesla's name.

satchelmcqueen
10-17-2008, 09:18 PM
yes the best way to treat employees who made YOU money is laying them off via blog post. WAY TO GO CHAMP!