PDA

View Full Version : EU Bank Prez Calls for Return to Gold Standard (Bloomberg)

InterestedParticipant
10-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Reading through the article there is obviously some good with the bad. A return to a Gold pegged currency is certainly what the public is pushing for in order to constrain the Monetary Elite who have run a muck with their fiat based currency system. However, there is some very scary language in this article about the need for global controls, as I am immediately concerned about who will create, regulate and monitor these global controls, and will the public have any input or redress in this proposed system?

Overall, its good to see that a gold standard is even making it into the public discourse. But we must be vigilant to restrain these globalists from developing new systems of unbridled and unchecked institutions that dominate all nations and their sovereign economies.

Trichet Urges Return to `Discipline' of Bretton Woods (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aq2lp4hW487g&refer=news)

Oct. 15 (Bloomberg) -- European Central Bank President Jean- Claude Trichet said officials reshaping the world's financial system should try to return to the ``discipline'' that governed markets in the decades after World War II.

``Perhaps what we need is to go back to the first Bretton Woods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretton_Woods_system), to go back to discipline,'' Trichet said after giving a speech at the Economic Club of New York yesterday. ``It's absolutely clear that financial markets need discipline: macroeconomic discipline, monetary discipline, market discipline.''

Some European policy makers are pushing to tighten oversight of markets after the past year's credit squeeze culminated last week in the biggest stock sell-off since 1933. British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has suggested the most sweeping rethink of global financial architecture since U.S. and European officials met in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, in 1944. The rules they drew up there governed much of the world economy for the following 30 years.

``Creating stability by adapting frameworks that have worked historically can improve credibility and hence the effectiveness of policy stabilization measures,'' said Lena Komileva, an economist at Tullett Prebon Plc in London. ``This idea may gain traction with policy makers.''

Fixed Currencies

At Bretton Woods, nations agreed to fix exchange rates, establish the International Monetary Fund and start the process of rebuilding Europe's economy in the aftermath of World War II by encouraging coordinated economic policies. Brown said national regulators must coordinate their work and banks should be pushed to disclose more trading positions.

``If we don't have discipline, then we are putting into question the functioning of the market economies and the functioning of our financial markets,'' Trichet said.

Asked whether the escalation of the financial crisis exposed shortcomings in the global monetary system, Trichet said central bankers have ``been up to their responsibilities in these exceptional circumstances.''

Trichet and U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke are struggling to restore order to credit markets after the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and $638 billion in writedowns make banks reluctant to lend. The ECB and the Fed last week cut interest rates in tandem and this week agreed to flood the financial system with dollars.

Trichet suggested that slowing growth in the 15-nation euro region may curb inflation, paving the way for more rate cuts after the ECB reduced its benchmark by 50 basis points to 3.75 percent.

`Downside Risks'

``There has been a materialization of the downside risks to growth and we have to take that into consideration in all respects, and particularly as regards the influence that it has on the upside risks for price stability,'' Trichet said.

He indicated that recent market turmoil was partly a consequence of the deregulation that occurred after Bretton Woods' demise. That was triggered in 1971, when inflation forced the U.S. to abandon the dollar's peg to gold, an anchor of the system, heralding the era of floating exchange rates.

``The explosion of the first Bretton Woods in a way could be interpreted as a rejection of discipline,'' said Trichet.

Brown, who has pushed for a decade to strengthen the hand of international authorities overseeing the financial system, said Oct. 13 in London that ``we must devise new rules for a world of global capital flows'' just as the founders of Bretton Woods ``devised rules for a world of limited capital flows.''

``We now have global financial markets but what we do not have is anything other than national and regional regulation and supervision,'' Brown told reporters today before a European Union summit in Brussels.

To contact the reporters on this story: John Fraher in London at jfraher@bloomberg.netGabi Thesing in New York at gthesing@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: October 15, 2008 05:31 EDT

InterestedParticipant
10-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Gold's Honest Discipline (http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/10/eu-calls-for-summit-to-end-bretton.html)

I certainly agree with Trichet about the need for discipline. When Nixon tossed aside gold convertibility, all fiscal discipline went out the window. On my reading list on the left is a fine book by Vincent R. Locascio called The Monetary Elite Vs. Gold's Honest Discipline (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=The%20Monetary%20Elite%20Locascio&search-type=ss&tag=mishsglobalec-20&index=books&link_code=qs).

Locascio argues that it is not impossible in theory to devise an honest monetary system based on something other than gold, but in practice it is unlikely to happen. It's a good book that those in favor of a return to a gold standard would enjoy.

What I think needs to happen is fourfold

1) Formulate a basis for a sound system of currencies
2) Eliminate central bank setting of interest rates
3) Eliminate fractional reserve lending
4) Eliminate FDIC

Numbers 2-4 are redundant actually because a sound currency system could not have the likes of a Fed micro-mismanaging things or the FDIC guaranteeing anything. And certainly no one would trust banks who made reckless or excessive loans in a free market system unhindered by FDIC.

Instead the summit participants will likely bicker over regulation without agreeing to do anything until the current system blows sky high. That might not be too much longer at the current rate of progress.

Knightskye
10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Bump for the gold standard.

Dr. Paul should introduce legislation to put us back on Bretton Woods. Not the complete gold standard all at once. But I think he'd get people onboard with a return to Bretton Woods.

Gigaplex
10-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Actually, I think it can be even better than that. I've heard Ron Paul advocate that his solution is to eliminate taxes on precious metals. So people would just pick whatever they want to use as a currency. I'm probably not explaining it as elegantly as he would but you get the point.

BJ Lawson has a plan that probably does essentially the same thing but it sounds so much more "innocent" and less dramatic. It is a plan to eliminate taxes on barter. Now who's going to argue with that?

I'm not an expert on the details of these plans but they seem to take the similar position of just legalizing other currencies and then the idea is that the fed would destroy itself.

itsthepathocrats
10-17-2008, 03:19 PM
eom

jcarcinogen
10-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I like Paul's idea of allowing a competing Constitutional currency based on gold, or at least something substantial, rather than just abolishing the FED so that it doesn't seem so threatening to the bankers and people.

ronpaulforprez2008
10-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I like Paul's idea of allowing a competing Constitutional currency based on gold, or at least something substantial, rather than just abolishing the FED so that it doesn't seem so threatening to the bankers and people.

Isn't it fascinating that The Liberty Dollar was raided (http://www.libertydollar.org/ld/legal/g_docs_raid.htm) last year and closed down. Guess the government didn't want any competition, especially after the economic collapse that we're now experiencing. Gotta control all currencies if you're going to control the entire ecomony, and I guess they didn't control The Liberty Dollar.