PDA

View Full Version : BJ Lawson Debate - Analysis - The Free Turkey

yongrel
10-17-2008, 12:29 AM
With the debate just made available online, here is The Free Turkey's analysis (for those of you too lazy to watch the whole hour long debate).

http://thefreeturkey.com/?p=49

David Price Just Doesn’t Understand BJ Lawson

On Tuesday, BJ Lawson squared off against the Democrat incumbent David Price in a debate hosted at UNC Chapel Hill. Video of the debate has now been made available online at WRAL.com.

Over the course of the hour-long event, one very salient point leaped out at the viewer: David Price just doesn’t get it.

As Dr. Lawson said in his opening speech, “we have been suffering a tremendous burden of a government that just doesn’t know when to stop.” Congressman Price doesn’t seem to understand that when the problems (like with the economy, health care, etc) are caused by the government, more government sure isn’t going to fix anything. It’s like throwing more wood on the fire to try to put it out

Continue... (http://thefreeturkey.com/?p=49)

Fox McCloud
10-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks for posting! Any idea how he's doing in the polls?

yongrel
10-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks for posting! Any idea how he's doing in the polls?

The only polls I've seen are from early September. They had BJ at about 37%, if memory serves. However, that was before the public began to scorn the bailout and its supporters. Also, Lawson is receiving more media attention since the money bomb raised several hundred thousand dollars for him, so I expect his polling numbers have picked up considerably.

My fingers are crossed.

specsaregood
10-17-2008, 12:42 AM
I too would like to see some updated polls.

He is about an 8 hour drive from me. If he has a chance, I might be encouraged to drive down and help out on a weekend.

Are there any coordinated efforts to get CFL members from out of district to flood in and go door to door or whatever in his area?

yongrel
10-17-2008, 10:40 AM
bump

pacelli
10-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I live in BJ's district and just received 2 political mailers-- one from Obama (been getting about 2-3 a week lately) and one from Lawson. First republican mailer I've gotten all year.

torchbearer
10-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I get mailers everyday from every party for every candidate.
I get emails from the local obama campaign office, and I don't have a clue how they got my email.

By the way, Obama has a local office in every city in the state.
McCain has zero.

Obama is going after the weak red states, and it may work,.

Andrew-Austin
10-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Good read.

yongrel
10-17-2008, 11:41 AM
bump for updated links

Kludge
10-17-2008, 12:52 PM
:D My school doesn't yet block it. Nice to be able to do something productive during my online AP course. Read the article on BJ this morning.

slacker921
10-17-2008, 01:30 PM
check this.. "it needs to start by rejecting the broke thought process" .. I don't think BJ said that.

Spot on though. Price continually trying to smear Lawson because of something "his party" did was just laughable. It made me realize that either Price has NO clue what Lawson is about, or was hoping the people in the audience were stupid enough to not know that Lawson is not a typical Republican.

He might have been trying to use the rope-a-dope tactic to get Lawson to lash out against his own party.. ?

At any rate, Price came across as a typical incumbent Congressman who has been in Washington waaaaay too long.

yongrel
10-17-2008, 01:38 PM
check this.. "it needs to start by rejecting the broke thought process" .. I don't think BJ said that.

He said that in his rebuttal to Price's answer to the mental health care question. It's at ~26:30 in the debate video.