PDA

View Full Version : Partisan Hate - It's Really Getting Ugly Now

D.H.
10-16-2008, 09:24 PM
This is an example of why I got interested in 3rd parties.
The bickering between the two parties is always bad but it's reached an all time low this year. The hatefullness of the Palin rallies as covered in another thread is driving people to dangerous lows....blatant depictions of racist stereotypes are now being sent out by party leaders.

GOP MAILING DEPICTS OBAMA SURROUNDED BY WATERMELON AND A BUCKET OF FRIED CHICKEN

The latest newsletter by an Inland Republican women's group depicts Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama surrounded by a watermelon, ribs and a bucket of fried chicken, prompting outrage in political circles.

The October newsletter by the Chaffey Community Republican Women, Federated says if Obama is elected his image will appear on food stamps -- instead of dollar bills like other presidents. The statement is followed by an illustration of "Obama Bucks" -- a phony $10 bill featuring Obama's face on a donkey's body, labeled "United States Food Stamps."

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_buck16.3d67d4a.html

nodope0695
10-16-2008, 09:31 PM
http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2008/10-16/racist16_400.jpg

OMG! This just too damn silly to take seriously. I'm not a racist, but I still got a chuckle from this picture.

Andrew-Austin
10-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Its just like verbally trashing/booing at an opposing football team to these people. Its a game in which their ego must win.

D.H.
10-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I laughed because it was such a stupid parody of a stereotype. I just can't believe any party would send this out. It's disgusting. You would punish your kid for this. These are adult women we are talking about.

nodope0695
10-16-2008, 09:46 PM
I laughed because it was such a stupid parody of a stereotype. I just can't believe any party would send this out. It's disgusting. You would punish your kid for this. These are adult women we are talking about.

Yes, you put it better than I did...I laughed cuz its just so stupid...

ChickenHawk
10-16-2008, 10:45 PM
If that is what is classified as hate these days I'd say we are in pretty good shape. How can you not laugh at that ridiculousness?

nodope0695
10-16-2008, 10:49 PM
If that is what is classified as hate these days I'd say we are in pretty good shape. How can you not laugh at that ridiculousness?

Exactly. I'd even risk a guess that black people would laugh at the absurdity of this garbage. I mean, come on, Cool Aid? Somebody has been watching too much "Good Times" on TV Land. :D

Crowish
10-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Ribs?

LOL.

That thing is like a parody of a parody of a parody.

Frightening that this was someone's concept of a GOOD IDEA.

Mini-Me
10-16-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm laughing so hard I have a tear streaming down my left cheek. Oh man, that picture is SOOO ridiculous and over-the-top. I can't believe someone made that and was actually serious about it! It's so outrageous it looks like something Cartman on South Park would make. :D That said, they could've pumped up their "refuge in audacity" credentials even more by throwing in a bomb turban and a sickle-and-hammer emblem.

I can't wait until someone makes a similar caricature of McCain. ;)

D.H.
10-16-2008, 11:04 PM

It is ridiculous, and we see it as nothing but a joke, but unfortunately they were serious. It wasn't posted on a message board. (thanks for posting pic BTW nodope0695, I don't know how) It went out with a GOP mailing.

Here is the excuse. (from article)

"I didn't see it the way that it's being taken. I never connected," she said. "It was just food to me. It didn't mean anything else."

RIGHT

The sad part; they have black members. Yes, I know blacks would laugh at this too but from the outside. Imagine being a black member of the GOP and getting this in the mail.
This is one reaction;

Sheila Raines, an African-American member of the club, was the first person to complain to Fedele about the newsletter. Raines, of San Bernardino, said she has worked hard to try to convince other minorities to join the Republican Party and now she feels betrayed.

"This is what keeps African-Americans from joining the Republican Party," she said. "I'm really hurt. I cried for 45 minutes."

ChickenHawk
10-16-2008, 11:09 PM
I agree that this was a very bad idea, but classifying it as "partisan hate" was a bit much.

Mini-Me
10-16-2008, 11:33 PM
It is ridiculous, and we see it as nothing but a joke, but unfortunately they were serious. It wasn't posted on a message board. (thanks for posting pic BTW nodope0695, I don't know how) It went out with a GOP mailing.

Here is the excuse. (from article)

"I didn't see it the way that it's being taken. I never connected," she said. "It was just food to me. It didn't mean anything else."

RIGHT

Oh man, that's even better...she's acting like DIDN'T KNOW?!? Yeah, right! I mean seriously, anyone could have easily gotten away with this by saying it was just a ridiculous joke, but if she's actually going to try saving face by claiming she didn't know...wow, this train wreck just keeps getting better and better! Seriously, how much did the Obama camp pay her to make this the worst PR possible for McCain? :eek:

The sad part; they have black members. Yes, I know blacks would laugh at this too but from the outside. Imagine being a black member of the GOP and getting this in the mail.
This is one reaction;

Sheila Raines, an African-American member of the club, was the first person to complain to Fedele about the newsletter. Raines, of San Bernardino, said she has worked hard to try to convince other minorities to join the Republican Party and now she feels betrayed.

"This is what keeps African-Americans from joining the Republican Party," she said. "I'm really hurt. I cried for 45 minutes."

That sucks. I may not agree with her politics (being as I loathe both wings of the establishment party), and I certainly wouldn't cry out of "being offended"...but if I were in Sheila Raines's shoes, I might feel devastated simply because something like this could undermine everything I've worked for and all of my efforts at convincing others that the GOP isn't all bad. Political differences aside, I do feel bad for her.