PDA

View Full Version : Will they accept me?

StudentForPaul08
10-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I would love to run for office down the road after i am done here at college. Presumably a Republican, a real true Republican. There is one problem. An elephant in the room if you will.

I am not religious.

I don't think i will be able to stand a chance. I mean i don't like the word atheist because obviously i don't know everything, but i def. am not part of any religion, i just believe in the goodness of people.

What do you think my chances are? am i in the wrong party?

:confused::confused::confused:

Grimnir Wotansvolk
10-16-2008, 08:24 PM
I'd suggest talking about things like the Christian doctrine of just war, and throw around a few biblical verses that are liberty relevant. You do have to play their game, but you can succeed without pulling a Huckabee.

ItsTime
10-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I would love to run for office down the road after i am done here at college. Presumably a Republican, a real true Republican. There is one problem. An elephant in the room if you will.

I am not religious.

I don't think i will be able to stand a chance. I mean i don't like the word atheist because obviously i don't know everything, but i def. am not part of any religion, i just believe in the goodness of people.

What do you think my chances are? am i in the wrong party?

:confused::confused::confused:

No you are not in the wrong party. Keep up the fight. Just dont focus on it and have a good reply when asked about it. Never state what you are.. but that you believe in the goodness of people (maybe a lot better response than that)

yongrel
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
First off, it depends on where you live. In Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Western Washington, Oregon, etc, it won't matter to much. Candidates in CT don't talk about religion at all except for the occasional "God Bless America." It's just not an issue. The trick for you will be to run for office somewhere where religiosity is not part of the culture.

Second, don't make an issue out of it yourself.

StudentForPaul08
10-16-2008, 08:31 PM
First off, it depends on where you live. In Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Western Washington, Oregon, etc, it won't matter to much. Candidates in CT don't talk about religion at all except for the occasional "God Bless America." It's just not an issue. The trick for you will be to run for office somewhere where religiosity is not part of the culture.

Second, don't make an issue out of it yourself.

Well that is why i am trying to talk about it now, so i know how to handle it down the road.

I don't think that my area is that religious in terms of people wearing it on their sleeves. I think no matter what i am gonig to ahve to go at it and run no matter what.

hopeforamerica
10-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Get involved in the party now and get to know them. Become a PC. You can build relationships and figure out how it works in your area. You will not be accepted if you are unknown.

mmink15
10-16-2008, 08:59 PM
No you are not in the wrong party. Keep up the fight. Just dont focus on it and have a good reply when asked about it. Never state what you are.. but that you believe in the goodness of people (maybe a lot better response than that)

Although I am no longer registered as a republican, I agree with this guy. I will take it a step further. I went to Bible College to become a pastor then became an atheist and dropped out. The way my family and Christian friends can treat me is very similar to the way you'll be treated so I have a bit of experience facing unfounded ridicule on unrelated subject matter due to lack of sharing common beliefs
Having many well-thought out solid points are the key, because you WILL be spending more time than you like during any campaign talking about this issue. I simply say that because attack politics is the method of the moment and when your opponent finds out you aren't religious he will more than likely use it against you, or try too. If you want to get into politics I'm sure you know that reading and researching is going to be part of your daily life(I'm assuming you want to be a good politician). Add Sam Harris to your read/watch list. He has a few books out and many speeches and debates on YouTube. I suggest him because he has a calm, cool demeanor that is neither angry or hateful(like Dawkins and Hitchens tend to be) that could help you form well laid out arguments(against poorly formed questions). I'll give you an example of what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5Ly2WOdDQ
Also look around youtube for some of his debates with various pastors, fathers, rabbis, and other holy men which are all very informative and very civil(a rarity in religious OR political debating)
Don't let being a rational thinker keep you from running for office, we need people like you. It's not about religion, it's about freedom and liberty and the things you will be able to affect when you are in office.

AJ Antimony
10-16-2008, 09:53 PM
It shouldn't be too big a deal. You just have to make sure you don't say a word about religion. I mean, talk about the other issues so much, and so aggressively, and so confidently that nobody cares to ask about your religion. Look at Ron Paul. When have you ever heard anyone say "oh so by the way, what religion is Ron Paul?" Nobody asks it because his stance on the issues is better discussion.

Then if anyone asks your religion, you answer honestly... "I understand your question but I'm not going to answer that. As a public servant, I'm going to keep church and state separated, and that includes when asked that question." or something like that

Jeremy
10-16-2008, 10:05 PM
As far as I know, it's a myth that you need some particular religion to be big in the GOP o.0

TastyWheat
10-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Don't ever bring it up yourself, but if it comes up just say you were raised with strong Christian morals and values (I assume you were). Then maybe turn it around and say that a lack of faith is not what is hurting the party and this country, it's a lack of principles. So just think up a "contingency plan" or a snappy comeback and try to change the subject. Some people just won't vote for someone if they're not religious, nothing you can do about it.