PDA

View Full Version : Bush To Give Speech On The Economy Tomorrow - The Free Turkey

yongrel
10-16-2008, 04:13 PM
From the new and unsollicted blog, the Free Turkey:

http://thefreeturkey.com/?p=47

According to the Wall Street Journal (story here), President Bush will be delivering a speech tomorrow to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Dana Perino has said that W will “try to return confidence and strength to the markets, and to let people know that we’re not going to let the system fail,” with his speech. If Bush thinks that he can somehow accomplish these things, he obviously hasn’t been reading his own press clippings.

For some strange reason, I doubt that the speech will be anything more than the predictable boilerplate we’ve seen for weeks now. Bush will profess his love for free markets, but then confess that obviously we need government intervention.

“Free markets rock!… except for now, when it is a national security issue that I intervene in the economy.”

Please, W, tell me how the government encouraging bad loans and bad lenders is a problem with the free market? Enlighten us all with your explanation of how government manipulation of the money supply is a failure of laissez-faire. Inquiring minds want to know!

I expect to hear more about how vital it is to nationalize our financial institutions ever further. Those crafty speechwriters with a passion for anonymity will string together a few more sentences telling me that the government “investing” my money in irresponsible and failed titans of finance is in my best interest. Never mind that they have demonstrated abominable judgment and condemnable ethics. Never mind that our money is increasingly worthless, thanks to the manipulation of our central bank. Never mind that we didn’t make this mess; we’re sure as hell being made to clean it up.

Of course, like the rest of Washington (and overconfident pundits everywhere), the President will ignore the root causes of our financial fiasco. Bush’s speech, like so many others already spoken, will make no mention of the government’s outrageous interventions in the market that contributed to this collapse. No one in government wants to admit that they are the ones at fault. No bureaucrat or politician wants to stand up and say, “Mea culpa.” After all, it’s far easier to blame the absence of government for a problem and then use the crisis as a justification for more government. When the problem’s not your fault, creating an even bigger problem to answer it makes you a hero!

So tomorrow, Americans will be greeted by one more politician who doesn’t want to take responsibility. We’ll hear a few hundred more words that will sound exactly like thousands before them, and fingers will be pointed the same ol’ scape goats and at the end, I’ll still have to spend the rest of my life paying off the trillions of dollars of debt that my government has “invested” for me.

I’m sure it will be a great speech.

Yes, this is shameless self-promotion on my part.

yongrel
10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
bump

Kludge
10-16-2008, 05:38 PM
bump

+1

mediahasyou
10-16-2008, 06:10 PM
A Yongrel blog. OoOh

Kludge
10-17-2008, 01:36 PM
+1

x2

ItsTime
10-17-2008, 01:46 PM
tip of the day use %postname% better for SEO

yongrel
10-17-2008, 01:48 PM
tip of the day use %postname% better for SEO

Ok, I'm new to this whole intertubes thingy, so...

http://thefreeturkey.com/2008/10/sample-post/ ???

Does that work better?

angelatc
10-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Ok, I'm new to this whole intertubes thingy, so...

http://thefreeturkey.com/2008/10/sample-post/ ???

Does that work better?

That link doesn't work at all.

yongrel
10-17-2008, 02:50 PM
That link doesn't work at all.

Ah, no. That's not supposed to be a real link. I was testing a different format for URLs on the site, and wanted to know if that was what he was talking about.

Sorry for the confusion.