PDA

View Full Version : Free Republic - Worth Rebutting?

WASH DC
09-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Anyone else tired of the RP bashing at Free Republic?

Not a member there, but sometimes cruise the site for articles.

FR seems to be Neocon Central and threads knocking RP take up a lot their space.

Should we sign up and weigh in on the anti-RP threads?

Free Republic is widely read. Is there any hope of making converts there or would we be just wasting time better spent in other pro-RP activities?

Akus
09-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I think someone should sign up and tell their side of the story. We really need to stress the Council of Foreign Relations part and the money part on how this so called war on terrorism is bankrupting us and makes us exactly what terrorists want us to be.
Weak.

Bryan
09-06-2007, 05:19 PM
I think it's worth getting an account there for specific battles but their software is so old and clunky I have a hard time sticking with it. I checked their traffic ratings a little while back, I don't remember them being that high.

Again- worth signing up for...

Just my fiat $0.02.

BTW- welcome to the forum!

jasonhlasvegas
09-06-2007, 05:19 PM
I think it would be worth it if they encouraged real debate. I posted there under several guises in an attempt to sharpen my debate skills, but I have been continually banned for posting the most mundane posts. About 80% of the posts I put on there were never allowed to be displayed publicly. I was not rude. I was gentle. The problem is that the guy who runs it routinely bans anyone who disagrees with the party line. All I did was present a contrary opinion. I still like to read the forum to try and figure out the tactics that our opponents will use in the primaries and caucuses, but I think trying to post on there is a lost cause. I suspect that you may be able to post on there if you donate to their website. I've noticed about a dozen Ron paul supporters who've been able to keep their accounts despite presenting a contrary opinion. I chalk that up to them paying for the right to not be banned by the guy who operates the forum.

WASH DC
09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks for both comments. I don't know about the Free Republic stats. I have read it is among the top ten "conservative" sites.

Interesting insight on FR authoritarian operation, Jason. I guess it doesn't surprise.

Will be interested if others have thoughts on this.

Appreciate the opportunity to participate in the forum.

jpa
09-06-2007, 06:03 PM
don't bother with free republic. I tried and I got banned for humorously linking to the Fred acting as a white supramacist video. I got hate mail from this one guy, saying that I was dead & bured and he was going to make sure I got banned.

That place is crawling with fredheads.

They also look very unfavorably on new accounts.

rhexis
09-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Ron Paul has a noticeable following on free republic. As a board that is supposedly geared towards conservatives it actually does draw some genuine conservatives.

Rick Williams
09-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I go there all the time to see what the koolaid drinkers are thinking.

Mortikhi
09-06-2007, 08:21 PM
I got banned from there after the first Republican debate and said I thought Ron Paul did well and I think he's the guy I'm going to follow.

I was a member for a couple years.
Banned for "being a troll"

That place isn't worth becoming a member.

Jon S
09-06-2007, 08:24 PM
haha just call em "anti-ron spammers" their opinions mean nothing and likely can't be changed... and hold no influence

ConstitutionGal
09-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Don't be quite so quick to write off all the folks at FR. I've been posting there since the first year it was on-line and am, quite frankly, pretty surprised that I've not been banned a couple of times for bashing GWB. I actually started an argument that ended up going over 700+ posts but, someone, managed to NOT be banned and I've never donated a cent to them. I've actually been able to win over at least 6 people to Dr. Paul's message and change their outlook on the 'war on terror'. I believe we all need to use whatever avenues may be available to us to spread Ron Paul's message and philosophy at every chance and I don't care whether it's on-line, at a restaurant, at work or sitting in traffic. NEVER miss a chance to talk about Ron Paul and REAL liberty and freedom. You have to wake the sheople from their slumber before you can get them to THINK.

Kregener
09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Free Republic and Freepers lost their credibility years ago.

ConstitutionGal
09-06-2007, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't say that about ALL Freepers....heck, we're having a big time over there right now on this thread:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1892095/posts?page=298

I try to always remember that quite a few folks read threads that never actually post on them and giving lesson on the Constitution can be fun!