PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have eaten...

Dieseler
10-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Fried Squirrel and Gravy with Cat Head Biscuits and Fig Preserves for breakfast?
Own up to it.

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
I did have a squirrel gravy over rice last night with mustard greens. Does that count?

Deborah K
10-15-2008, 03:35 PM
ummm....I've had fried green tomatoes, does that count?

Crowish
10-15-2008, 03:38 PM
What's squirrel taste like? Chicken?

:D

Mahkato
10-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Shouldn't this be a poll?

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
What's squirrel taste like? Chicken?

no- not chicken. it is not like any other meat I have tasted.
Very lean. Lots of lil' bones. If you shot it with a shotgun, you will crunch down on a lot of lead pellets. Use a .22 if you are a good shot.

Fried frog legs are the best.

ItsTime
10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
shouldnt you have to post pics as proof?

Dieseler
10-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I did have a squirrel gravy over rice last night with mustard greens. Does that count?

Yessir, that counts just fine.

Shouldn't this be a poll?
No, no poll needed.

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
shouldnt you have to post pics as proof?

I've already eaten the meal, how would I have pictures?
Maybe next time I cook wild game, I will take pictures so people will see what this stuff looks like.
I grew up in the middle of no where, surrounded by farm and forest.
We lived off the land, so this stuff is normal to me. It may gross out other people - I don't know.

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 03:43 PM
oh- and note- I don't cook squirrels with their heads on, but a lot cajuns do.
That never set right with me for some reason.

heavenlyboy34
10-15-2008, 03:46 PM
oh- and note- I don't cook squirrels with their heads on, but a lot cajuns do.
That never set right with me for some reason.

Maybe the spirit of the squirrel is trying to attack you! :eek:

Dieseler
10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Reason I asked, I was looking through some old pictures and they reminded me of going hunting as a boy. My Grandmother really knew how to hook me up with some breakfast when I come home from a hunt.
I miss her so much.

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 03:51 PM

I'm an animal magnet. I have 5 squirrels that reside in the live oak in front of my house.
Those are more like pets though, as I don't hunt in city limits.

My father is currently raising rabbits and chickens. He has enough to feed the entire farm community. Plus a huge garden.

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Have you ever seen someone cook a gumbo with the entire squirrel still together with head... just skinned and dressed?
Its really weird.
I'm like- Hey, you got a giant rat in your gumbo!

Deborah K
10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Reason I asked, I was looking through some old pictures and they reminded me of going hunting as a boy. My Grandmother really knew how to hook me up with some breakfast when I come home from a hunt.
I miss her so much.

AAAAwwwww! I hope my baby grandson thinks that way about me some day.

MRoCkEd
10-15-2008, 04:17 PM
do you think cannibalism should be allowed assuming the person is already dead and the family consents to it?

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
do you think cannibalism should be allowed assuming the person is already dead and the family consents to it?

Soylent green is people.

tmosley
10-15-2008, 05:35 PM

I've wanted to try delicious braaaiiins ever since I saw Hannibal.

Deborah K
10-15-2008, 05:55 PM

What is your obsession with cannibalism?? Did someone die in your family recently and you guys are hungry?

Cowlesy
10-15-2008, 06:02 PM
I work on Wall Street and I've shot, cleaned and eaten squirrel before. Kind of chewy, gamey, not much meat but not bad. Red squirrels aren't worth it, but if you find a big sherman tank of a fox squirrel or grey squirrel, they may be edible.

Save a squirrel, shoot a grouse.

rancher89
10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I've eaten: Alligator, antelope, ants (choc covered and not), bear, buffalo, dove, duck (all sorts), frogs' legs, goose, grasshoppers (choc covered and not), groundhog, quail, ostrich, , snails, snakes (rattler, green, black), squirrel, turtle. I'm probably missing something, it's been quite the gastronomic adventure I've been on throughout my life.

I have not eaten grubs, tho if I were in a pinch I think I'd find them tasty.

I've had poi, and the pine nut "soup" the Shoshone make at their pow wows (very bland, very nutritious) and all sorts of wild mushrooms, leaves, berries, roots and tubers. I have been re-adquiring a group of books on identifying wild food and herbs and their preparation. When store bought food runs low, one needs to have back ups. Many of our 'weeds" are edible, with the proper preparation and some are actually beneficial (to say the least!)

Do not pick mushrooms unless you know what you are doing--

heavenlyboy34
10-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Did the dead person agree before he died? That verbal or written agreement is enough for me. Just get lots of condiments, ok? :D

Time for Change
10-15-2008, 06:17 PM

8-) LOL 8-)

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

"The whole danged family was acting strange after dinner last night"

:p

heavenlyboy34
10-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Have you ever seen someone cook a gumbo with the entire squirrel still together with head... just skinned and dressed?
Its really weird.
I'm like- Hey, you got a giant rat in your gumbo!

Nope...never even had gumbo. Is it good? :confused:

Time for Change
10-15-2008, 06:33 PM

A gumbo with fresh Gator is great.
Not much better than that.

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 06:46 PM

Depends on who is making it... it can be the best thing ever.
And there are many types of gumbo with many types of variations within each type.
Gumbo is almost personal.. and is almost at individualistic as we are.
You can have any type of combination of meat.
Though typically you don't mix land animals with seafood gumbo, except for sausage.
Some people use okra, some don't.
The most important part is the rue.

rwbris18
10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
I've eaten: Alligator, antelope, ants (choc covered and not), bear, buffalo, dove, duck (all sorts), frogs' legs, goose, grasshoppers (choc covered and not), groundhog, quail, ostrich, , snails, snakes (rattler, green, black), squirrel, turtle. I'm probably missing something, it's been quite the gastronomic adventure I've been on throughout my life.

I have not eaten grubs, tho if I were in a pinch I think I'd find them tasty.

I've had poi, and the pine nut "soup" the Shoshone make at their pow wows (very bland, very nutritious) and all sorts of wild mushrooms, leaves, berries, roots and tubers. I have been re-adquiring a group of books on identifying wild food and herbs and their preparation. When store bought food runs low, one needs to have back ups. Many of our 'weeds" are edible, with the proper preparation and some are actually beneficial (to say the least!)

You missed dog.

When I was in Korea we had dog and cat. You can eat just about any meat. Some of it is more stringy than others and needs to be cooked longer in a stew to become tender. Now, fish eyes are already tender. (A Japanese Treat - Fish head soup)

rwbris18
10-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Did the dead person agree before he died? That verbal or written agreement is enough for me. Just get lots of condiments, ok? :D

Now, I don't recommend this. A Doctor told me that this is a fast way to spread diseases between individuals.

satchelmcqueen
10-19-2008, 01:52 PM
just squirrel. i hunt them alot. good stuff. cat head? no.

a real cat head? for real? never heard of that before.

Original_Intent
10-19-2008, 07:37 PM
no- not chicken. it is not like any other meat I have tasted.

Sounds like you have missed out on rat on a stick then. :)

Some of the odd stuff I have eaten:

Almost any kind of raw fish that can be prepared (except for blowfish), kangaroo, whale, and horse.

Things that I just about puked on: Beef liver, raw tofu (straight). I like tofu in things OK, but the first time I had it someone told me it was "japanese cheese" and cut me off a slice. Dirty trick :)

Dieseler
10-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Cat head biscuits is just a country way of saying a big ole biscuit.

We got a lot of country folk here.
I feel like we will winter over pretty good and Ron Paul forums will make it till the spring. Country folks can survive.
I'm looking forward to trying some Gator. Never had the opportunity.

filmgeek
10-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Cat head biscuits is just a country way of saying a big ole biscuit.

Man, I am so glad you clarified that! LOL

rancher89
10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
You missed dog.

When I was in Korea we had dog and cat. You can eat just about any meat. Some of it is more stringy than others and needs to be cooked longer in a stew to become tender. Now, fish eyes are already tender. (A Japanese Treat - Fish head soup)

Correct, as far as I know I've not eaten: cat, dog or any ape, I imagine any bird you can catch would be good----- (not a carrion bird however and for that matter any carrion animal such as hyena, IMHO--not good eating)

I have eaten fish eyes, calf's brains, kidneys, liver, tougue, tripe etc. My grandmother was always cutting corners on meals. One Sunday night she served meatloaf and didn't tell us it was tougue meatloaf until we had eaten it. It wasn't bad, but my Dad refused to eat Sunday dinner at his mom's house unless she promised not to surprise us like that again. She thought it was hilarious.....

Dieseler
10-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Wow Rancher, we can coin a new saying from your experience.
Man/Woman with strong stomach will never go hungry.

I guess we can move on to Chitlins now.
How many folks here have tried those?
I bet more than three have...

rwbris18
10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
When I was at scout camp (about 13 years old), my dad as scout master, the rangers killed a she bear that had lost her cubs. They gave all the troops some meat to make stew. My dad made two pots. One large w/beef and one small w/bear.

Everyone thought the bear tasted "funny". I couldn't tell the difference so I asked dad for a second helping of bear. Still not being able to tell the difference, I said to my father, "I can't tell the difference."

He said, "Suuuuush, don't tell anyone!" and left me to understand that they were the same stew... all bear.

Sometimes I just want to eat and not to know.

Sarge
10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Out West here, Rattle Snake appetizers with dip. Great. It taste like chicken.

I would just rather have some one order them and not tell me what they are ordering.

There is nothing more worse than a snake other then two snakes.

It seems to me we have a bunch of snakes running this country now that I am thinking about it.

Somehow I don't think they would taste like chicken.

JeNNiF00F00
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Correct, as far as I know I've not eaten: cat, dog or any ape, I imagine any bird you can catch would be good-----

Funny you should say this. My grandfather was telling us a story over the weekend about birds he would catch as a kid and frying them in their wood stove during the great depression. He had some sort of contraption that he made and would catch a few birds a day so he'd have food to eat.

torchbearer
10-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Funny you should say this. My grandfather was telling us a story over the weekend about birds he would catch as a kid and frying them in their wood stove during the great depression. He had some sort of contraption that he made and would catch a few birds a day so he'd have food to eat.

I had a homemade bird trap when i was a kid. they aren't hard to make.

JeNNiF00F00
10-20-2008, 07:24 PM
I had a homemade bird trap when i was a kid. they aren't hard to make.

Did it involve a singer sewing machine needle? lol

torchbearer
10-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Did it involve a singer sewing machine needle? lol

no, it was based off a simple trigger.
a trap propped up on a 3 prong trigger that would collapse when the bird pecked the feed off of a small platform within the open cage.

TruckinMike
10-26-2008, 04:28 AM
I can't believe with all the posts on this thread i haven't seen 'possum, armadillo, or skunk. Go figure???

Out West here, Rattle Snake appetizers with dip. Great.
One of my favorites... I still have that rattler in the freezer from a couple of weeks ago when my dog, Cap'n Parker, almost got bit (link (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=20373))- again. My 20 gauge solved the problem.

oh yeah.. and pigeons... when I was a kid, me, my brother, and cousin - with pellet gun in hands - massacred about 20 pigeons down the road from the house - My grandfather made us go back and clean them all. Believe it or not, they tasted better than quail! Who would have guessed? My grandfather said they ate them all the time in east Texas.

TMike

inibo
10-26-2008, 11:04 AM
I imagine any bird you can catch would be good

I was once told by a fellow from Belize that down there there is a variety of parakeet that lives exclusively on cashews. He says they make a shishkabob kind of thing out of them and they are very tasty. If he wasn't pulling my leg I'd be willing to bet they would very good.

Dieseler
10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I'll be happy to try the gator and the rattler (never tried either yet) but there is way to many squirrel running around here for me to be eating a opossum or opossum on the half shell.

Wendi
10-26-2008, 08:33 PM
My neighbors might get irritated if I started shooting squirrels here ;)

BeFranklin
10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
I've already eaten the meal, how would I have pictures?
Maybe next time I cook wild game, I will take pictures so people will see what this stuff looks like.
I grew up in the middle of no where, surrounded by farm and forest.
We lived off the land, so this stuff is normal to me. It may gross out other people - I don't know.

Nope, this is my plan when the SHTF. America has a lot of food for hunting or foraging, people just don't see it.

FYI: I've had frogs legs at a country kitchen. They are pretty good :) now I just need to learn how to skin and/or prepare this stuff.

pcosmar
10-31-2008, 11:12 AM
When I was at scout camp (about 13 years old), my dad as scout master, the rangers killed a she bear that had lost her cubs. They gave all the troops some meat to make stew. My dad made two pots. One large w/beef and one small w/bear.

Everyone thought the bear tasted "funny". I couldn't tell the difference so I asked dad for a second helping of bear. Still not being able to tell the difference, I said to my father, "I can't tell the difference."

He said, "Suuuuush, don't tell anyone!" and left me to understand that they were the same stew... all bear.

Sometimes I just want to eat and not to know.

Growing up, we had folks just up the road from us, Joe was a hunter and trapper by trade and his wife could cook anything he brought home.
Sometimes it was best just not to ask what was in the pot.
It was all good, just not for the squeamish to ask.

Had skunk there once, real tasty.