PDA

View Full Version : Question on Taxes

Raul08
10-15-2008, 02:05 PM
If there was no income tax where would the fed. gov. get any money at all. Isnt paul also against sales tax?

Just wondering.

Kotin
10-15-2008, 02:08 PM
If there was no income tax where would the fed. gov. get any money at all. Isnt paul also against sales tax?

Just wondering.

if there were no income tax the Government would still get as much money as they did 10 years ago. so we can get rid of it and still be fine. and no I dont believe he is against the sales tax, he is for a general toning down of most taxes though.

micahnelson
10-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Just wondering.

The federal government cannot exist as it is today without the income tax. If the federal government were reduced to its constitutionally mandated limits, it would require far less money to finance it.

fletcher
10-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Total receipts

Estimated receipts for fiscal year 2008 were $2.66 trillion.

* $1.25 trillion - Individual income tax
* $927.2 billion - Social Security and other payroll taxes
* $314.9 billion - Corporate income tax
* $68.1 billion - Excise taxes
* $29.2 billion - Customs duties
* $25.7 billion - Estate and gift taxes
* $50.7 billion - Other

The government would still be getting lots of money.

Andrew-Austin
10-15-2008, 02:28 PM
If income tax were canned and the fedreal reserve would still be around, they'd be doing just fine.

slothman
10-15-2008, 03:01 PM
If the federal government were reduced to its constitutionally mandated limits, it would require far less money to finance it.
Where in the Const. does it limit income taxes?

Deborah K
10-15-2008, 03:46 PM

Just wondering.

Here's Ron Paul on this subject: http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_Paul_Tax_Reform.htm

AJ Antimony
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
In order to get rid of the income tax and replace it with nothing, you MUST cut spending. So what do we cut? Just look at the Constitution. Paul said it best in a debate, "I'd start with the Departments."

Dep. of Education? Don't see it in the Constitution... Homeland Security? Ditto. Hell, Washington only had State, Treasury and War departments and the world didn't stop. That should be enough for the federal government. The rest the states can do better, and for less money.
EDIT: Washington also had an Attorney General, but I don't think there was a Justice Department yet.

mediahasyou
10-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Taxation is Theft

http://www.voluntaryist.com/taxation/

socialize_me
10-15-2008, 05:44 PM
The government would still be getting lots of money.

Still, Ron Paul wants to phase out Social Security/Medicare...would we cut the corporate income tax as well??? That results in taking out over $1.3 trillion on top of the $1.2 trillion already cut by removing the income tax. He opposes the estate tax as well...that leaves like less than $150 billion in tax revenue....how the hell could you expect to shrink a government from $3 trillion/year to $150 billion??? I think the world WOULD stop...people wouldn't have a clue what the hell the Constitution means, they'd be confused into an oblivion.

Raul08
10-16-2008, 09:58 PM
No I get the whole less taxes through less government, but where do we get the money needed for a small gov.?