PDA

View Full Version : Slate.com video piece on Ron Paul

slantedview
09-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Slate.com has a video piece today on Dr. Paul, from their Political guy, John Dickerson. For those unfamiliar, Slate is a widely read online news magazine, which also partners with NPR for a daily news and interest show.

http://slatev.com/player.html?id=1175886608

Comments can be posted here:

http://fray.slate.com/discuss/forums/2168486/ShowForum.aspx

The premise of the piece is that Ron Paul has a lot of support on the internet, but his videos are boring. To demonstrate this, Dickerson shows a video of Ron Paul shaking hands outside of Ronstock in Iowa. He then concludes that it would be more interesting to see Dr. Paul in an older video in 1988 on the Morton Downey Jr. show and proceeds to show the video.

During the video John interjects: "Like today, the audience had a hard time taking him seriously".

I'll let you guys watch and draw your own conclusions. Feel free to e-mail John with your comments if you have any or leave comments at the link above.

brumans
09-06-2007, 03:54 PM
That was a great video; I enjoyed watching it.

Great/Professional editing!

Kuldebar
09-06-2007, 03:55 PM
wow, slate.com actually had a Ron Paul related article? Oh, it's by that Dick-dude? Never mind.

Maybe he's right, we need more Ron Paul presence on youtube. The few videos to be found there, are like so boooooring! :rolleyes:

aghman
09-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Eh, that video didn't have much of a message, either way. I love outraged Ron Paul, I'd love to see more of him in the debates.

Kuldebar
09-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Eh, that video didn't have much of a message, either way. I love outraged Ron Paul, I'd love to see more of him in the debates.

The question is: why did Dickerson pick that video to represent the overall quality of Ron Paul videos?

slantedview
09-06-2007, 04:01 PM
If you check out the quote of John Dickerson during the piece, he seems to be attempting to slander Dr. Paul. That's just my opinion... you can decide for yourself:

"Like today, the audience had a hard time taking him seriously".

Richandler
09-06-2007, 04:09 PM
This video was a direct calm attack on Ron Paul. He shows the lamest video he could find, shows him being mocked at some random show, and claims audience don't like his message. Makes me wonder which campaign this came from or if the author of the video is a just a tool.

slantedview
09-06-2007, 04:10 PM
This video was a direct calm attack on Ron Paul. He shows the lamest video he could find, shows him being mocked at some random show, and claims audience don't like his message. Makes me wonder which campaign this came from or if the author of the video is a just a tool.

I agree on all points.

BenIsForRon
09-06-2007, 04:11 PM
He was right about the current crop of Ron Paul videos. I think they're good, but the music is so cheesy. I could totally see how people could hear music like that or "google Ron Paul" and potentially be turned off.

Kuldebar
09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
He was right about the current crop of Ron Paul videos. I think they're good, but the music is so cheesy. I could totally see how people could hear music like that or "google Ron Paul" and potentially be turned off.

I question the premise though. Shouldn't videos of the candidates be informative versus entertaining? Sure, it's nice to be funny, but I would say that the real point of candidate videos is to convey information about the candidates.

The 60 minute Google interview with Ron Paul had a few laughs in it and to my mind was entertaining, but, I am biased I guess,

Attention deficit disorder Americans may fall asleep when shiny things don't appear on screen, but thinking people actually value substance over shine.

Concerning those "silly" songs, the point is those songs are written by supporters of the campaign, not some studio contract or media deal. There's a message in and of itself about Paul's level of support.

BenIsForRon
09-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I think the interview at Google is probably the best because it is long and informative, I was talking specifically about the cheesy music. I don't have problem with the music, If you Google Ron Paul was actually stuck in my head for a few days. It's just that I could totally see some newcomers dismissing a video when they hear music like that. But then again, some more social conservatives might enjoy that kind of stuff.

If I was making videos I would use some socially conscious songs by somebody like Dylan or even Rage Against the Machine. But we've already got Aravoth making awesome vids so I don't need to worry about that.

Kuldebar
09-06-2007, 04:41 PM

Oh, I'm not questioning your assessment of that song or some of the other music. But it reminds me (no offense to the artists involved) of how a mother will appreciate the handmade Mother's Day card from her child over a card bought from a store.

But, I have seen a number of Paul campaign videos that I felt were informative and inspiring. They would start with video of supporters gathering together and Ron Paul entering the scene, maybe casually having some words with supporters. Then, the video will feature substantive segments (not sound bites) of Paul's speech at that venue and the crowd's reaction.

I can't say it's entertaining, but I find it informational and inspiring. Well, maybe that means it is entertaining after all.

Let's not forget that Dickerson's other youtube coverage attacked the other candidates for doing "fake" and staged videos.

I'll take real and boring over stupid, boring and staged any day, lol.

slantedview
09-07-2007, 09:40 AM
bumpers for the mornin crew

RP4ME
09-07-2007, 09:57 AM
if I knew nothing of RP I would probably not be sold by thsi video - morton downey jr and all taht shouting - not a good show for Paul to have been on....but I think he's cute when he is angry and as someone alread familiar with the who he is I love seeing him in action

skilt
09-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Love RP, not so sure about those advising him. The vids on the official campaign website have little inspirational value. His media advisers official and unofficial, need to address this. It's sad to say that people can be so fickle, but if an undedcided person is turned off by them, they may not entertain his message, because they're corny, and that's putting it nicely.

Sk