View Full Version : Media reaction to Lawson/price debate

james1844
10-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Price wins UNC debate
Yaniv Barzilai, Editorial Board Member

Print this article
Share this article Published: Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Updated: Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The doors closed, the campaign pins came out, and the night’s battle for North Carolina’s 4th District begun. But through the debate, as incumbent Democratic Representative David Price faced off against Republican B.J. Lawson, Price came out on top.

With issues ranging from mental health care in North Carolina to the current economic crisis, Price demonstrated his knowledge and experience and offered specific policy approaches. Lawson’s answers were filled with idealistic rhetoric that, while atypical, seemed unrealistic and vague.

No one can deny that Price has significant experience in the House of Representatives. After serving as a representative for 20 years, Price knows the machinery of Congress and is adept and effective in formulating policy. But Lawson demonstrated that he might not have the same traits that would translate into effective leadership.

The best quality about Lawson is that he is not all that Republican. A true maverick, or misguided soul, with Ron Paul-esque libertarian leanings, Lawson distanced himself from the past eight years of the Bush presidency. His style is unorthodox and novel. Lawson consecutively stated that he is not a typical Republican, but he has been a Republican all his life.

Throughout the debate, Lawson appeared weak and misguided on matters of national security. As a man who advocates small government, Lawson did not support military operations in Pakistan and refused to choose sides on internal conflicts, failing to recognize the connection between Pakistan, the war in Afghanistan, and the global fight against terrorism.

Price chose to be against the Taliban and al-Qaida.

Price even voted for and supported effective sanctions in Iraq during the Clinton administration, something that Lawson oddly criticized him for.

Lawson swung at Price and stated that the Institute for Homeland Security Solutions was a center for data mining and spying on the American public.

Swing and a miss.

Price was there to remind the audience that it is in fact a research-based think tank that is working to make our nation safe.

Lawson claimed that Price voted for the initial two-page bailout that would authorize Henry Paulson to use his discretion. But Price reminded us of his actual voting record, including his vote against the initial plan.

Foul ball, Dr. Lawson.

Now, of all times, is not the time for a Congressional experiment. David Price has done a great job of representing the 4th District, and he is here to stay.

Dr. Lawson, you just struck out.

MRoCkEd
10-15-2008, 09:53 AM
That's a hit opinion piece
http://www.dailytarheel.com/opinion/price_wins_unc_debate

be sure to comment

Spider-Man
10-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Wow, can you say hit piece?

Wonder how much he got paid. Or his boss.

james1844
10-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Price, Lawson square off over 4th district seat

BY DANIEL GOLDBERG : The Herald-Sun
dbgoldberg@heraldsun.com
Oct 15, 2008

CHAPEL HILL -- A federal government plan to partially address the country's economic crisis by investing in banking institutions is "a way of protecting the taxpayer" that U.S. Rep. David Price hopes is a step forward.

Price, a Chapel Hill Democrat, was responding to the first question in a debate between candidates for the North Carolina fourth district seat that he has held for more than 20 years. He characterized the initiative as a move pushed by Democrats to put capital where it needs to be and get money flowing again.

"This is a situation that requires our best efforts," Price said. "We're going to have a long slog, I think, to bring this economy back."

His opponent, physician and entrepreneur B.J. Lawson, a Republican, immediately went on the offensive. "If we're going to get anywhere in this debate we need to be honest," Lawson said in opening his response.

He said Price voted for an initial bailout plan that did not talk about recapitalizing banks. Lawson supporters in the Carroll Hall auditorium on the campus of UNC Chapel Hill offered a loud round of applause, which led one of four mediators from the sponsoring Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies to urge them to hold their cheers. The challenger continued by declaring that giving banks more money encourages more loans, more debt and more problems.

"I would politely ask that my opponent remain honest when talking about his record," Lawson said.

And the exchange continued. Price said the recapitalization of banks was in both the first and second bailout bills on which Congress voted. "I'm not going to accuse my opponent of being dishonest, but I am going to say he's mistaken. ... I couldn't care less about bailing out Wall Street. I care about bailing out Main Street."

That was just the first of eight questions. The candidates spent much of the more-than 90 minute debate sticking to clearly defined strategies. Lawson consistently challenged Price's voting record, linking the congressman to a legislative body that the challenger contends has not changed the way it does business since voters sent a Democratic majority to Washington in 2006. He repeatedly referred to a Congress that does not thoroughly vet legislation and is overly influenced by lobbyists and corporate interests.

Price responded by characterizing his challenger's philosophy as "pre-New Deal" and insinuated time and again that Lawson believes aid programs like Pell Grants and government funding of National Institutes of Health research are unconstitutional. The incumbent was careful to remind the audience that the Republican Party largely presided over an unpopular war in Iraq and also accused Lawson of "running away" from his party by campaigning on his differences with the Bush administration.

klamath
10-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Media for the democrat because he is a democrat, simple as that.

Jeremy
10-15-2008, 10:00 AM
That's not media, that's an opinion article anyone can submit. If somebody went, please submint a pro-Lawson one.

Goldwater64
10-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Price wins UNC debate
The best quality about Lawson is that he is not all that Republican. \.

Shouldn't this line tell you the whole story? The author is a tool for the Dems. It doesn't matter what Lawson says, he has an R by his name and the author will never support him because of that.

james1844
10-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Guys,

If you are going to contact the author of that article, please BE NICE.

We don't need to make any more problems for the Lawson campaign then they already have. When Ron Paul was running for president, the media attacked us becuase a minority of Paul's supporters were agressive verbally - we should avoid making this mistake again.

BJ has a shot at winning, we don't want to screw things up for him by being nasty to the press. So, please be nice.

Thanks,

James

RonPaulFanInGA
10-15-2008, 10:24 AM

be sure to comment

I tried but it won't come up for some reason.

qh4dotcom
10-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Someone left this comment on that trash article...I thought it was worth mentioning...looks like Lawson just gained another vote thanks to that article

As a democrat, I am deeply offended by your lack of journalistic integrity.
Lawson's non-interventionist foreign policy seemed refreshing in an age of military aggression. David Price, though he had the courage to vote against the Iraq war, has been a longtime supporter of needless overseas adventurism, and I don't think it is right to support him simply because he is a democrat.
As for the sanctions in Iraq - you mean the ones that killed 500,000 Iraqi children? Yeah, I'm against those too.
With regard to the bailout, Price voted for it both times despite the fact that an overwhelming majority of his constituents opposed it.
Though I have some major disagreements with Lawson in some areas, his opposition to needless war, billionaire bailouts, and dirty politics has made me strongly consider crossing party lines to vote for him. In fact, this hit-piece has convinced me to vote for him.

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 10:33 AM

be sure to comment

anonymized link:
http://anonym.to/?http://www.dailytarheel.com/opinion/price_wins_unc_debate

mport1
10-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Guys,

If you are going to contact the author of that article, please BE NICE.

We don't need to make any more problems for the Lawson campaign then they already have. When Ron Paul was running for president, the media attacked us becuase a minority of Paul's supporters were agressive verbally - we should avoid making this mistake again.

BJ has a shot at winning, we don't want to screw things up for him by being nasty to the press. So, please be nice.

Thanks,

James

Yes, please be nice.

surf
10-15-2008, 10:42 AM
"Daily Tarheel"? surely some UNC students should be the ones writing an intelligent letter or two.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Lawson’s answers were filled with idealistic rhetoric that, while atypical, seemed unrealistic and vague.

No-doubt written by someone who is deeply impressed with empty suit Obama's "hope and change" fluff.

acptulsa
10-15-2008, 10:55 AM
You call those hit jobs? Let me show you what a hit job looks like:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/article.aspx?subjectID=61&articleID=20081014_61_A12_h803066

dr. hfn
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
wow this is bullshit,

we need a call to arms to defend Dr. Lawson

BigFatRock
10-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Looks like Lawson has a defense up: http://blog.lawsonforcongress.com/2008/10/15/fact-check/

acptulsa
10-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Looks like Lawson has a defense up: http://blog.lawsonforcongress.com/2008/10/15/fact-check/

I thought it was the media's job to fact-check the candidates! I don't know whether to laugh or cry that now it must be the other way around...

Brilliant.

MRoCkEd
10-15-2008, 12:34 PM
nice, the full debate will be available soon

yongrel
10-15-2008, 12:34 PM
It's just some punk college kid getting his jollies off writing a hit piece for his school paper.

Jeremy
10-15-2008, 12:39 PM

Cool

but btw, that wasnt written by BJ himself

james1844
10-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Looks like another story on BJ. The coverage is pretty good.

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A266929

jjockers
10-15-2008, 06:36 PM
I can attest for Yaniv's character. I had Yaniv as a student last spring semester. He was in fact one of the best students I've had in the 3-4 years I've taught. Very courteous, very bright, and an excellent worker. If only I had the fortune of teaching political science :(