PDA

View Full Version : Do you break the rules in World of Warcraft? Prepare to be investigated by the Gov.

Mortikhi
10-15-2008, 08:48 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/023513.html

The Director of National Intelligence is spending $800,000 to look for people who break rules in virtual worlds, in order to find "terrorists".

video at the link.

tropicangela
10-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Facebook too.

enjerth
10-15-2008, 10:50 AM
I'd like to be an undercover operative. I'll try work my way up to the biggest guilds. You just know they're full of rule breakers.

freelance
10-15-2008, 10:54 AM
OMG, that is hilarious!

enjerth
10-15-2008, 10:54 AM
How much does the job pay?

TruthAtLast
10-15-2008, 10:56 AM
OMG, I know I shouldn't be surprised but seriously... are they going to look at anyone who buys a "mature" video game that kills people as a potential terrorist too?

Better not cut in line at the movie theater... you don't follow rules!

dr. hfn
10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
this is fucking unbelievable, what a bunch of Nazis

Kotin
10-15-2008, 11:26 AM
oh ok.. there are people who did not eat today.. and yesterday.. but lets spend the money on catching kids cheating on video games..

I'm sure they are terrorists..

guess one of the "higher ups" is getting fed up with people cheating on his favorite games..

Gosh Mr.Gubmint.. sure is easy to spend someone else's money isn't it?

this is the last straw.. I am a Successionst from this day forth.

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 11:32 AM
this is the last straw.. I am a Seccessionst from this day forth.

This is why I now wave the Bonnie Blue Flag.

The Bonnie Blue Flag, a single white star on a blue field, was the flag of the short-lived Republic of West Florida. In September 1810, settlers in the Spanish territory of West Florida revolted against the Spanish government and proclaimed an independent republic. The Bonnie Blue Flag was raised at the Spanish fort in Baton Rouge on September 23, 1810.

My birthday is September 23rd.

In 1836, The Bonnie Blue served as the inspiration for the first flag of the Republic of Texas, known as the Burnet Flag. It was replaced in 1839 by the currently used Lone Star Flag, which also bears a single star.

constituent
10-15-2008, 11:41 AM

nate895
10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
This is why I now wave the Bonnie Blue Flag.

My birthday is September 23rd.

I would have used the Bonnie Blue Flag as my avatar, but you had it, so I had to be creative so I found the JP Gillis flag.

torchbearer
10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Damn wiki.
I also remember reading that it was a group from Louisiana that brought the bonnie blue over to texas when they went to help in their war of independence. Is that bunk too?

constituent
10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Damn wiki.
I also remember reading that is was a group from Louisiana that brought the bonnie blue over to texas when they went to help in their war on independence. Is that bunk too?

it was a battle flag though... i edited my post so as to not jack the thread w/ a whole boring azz explanation....

mconder
10-15-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/023513.html

The Director of National Intelligence is spending $800,000 to look for people who break rules in virtual worlds, in order to find "terrorists".

video at the link.

Oh crap...I bought some WoW gold from some Chinese guys. Do you think I'll be flagged?

Xenophage
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
The only REAL currency is WoW Gold!

Honestly, if you want to understand inflation... just play a Blizzard game.

Gold became so worthless so fast in Diablo 2 that we started bartering for everything.

Hasn't become worthless yet in WoW but the inflation is supreme. 1000 gold used to be a fortune... now its pretty standard to carry that much around on you.

angelatc
10-15-2008, 12:13 PM
People should quit WOW and Facebook in droves, and make those companies get pissed at the government for lurking about like that.

But they won't.

Xenophage
10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Just to clarify the gold thing in WoW so its not confusing to anyone who doesn't play...

what we call "gold" in wow is generated "out of thin air" even more readily than the way the federal reserve issues credit. Granted, you have to do a little work to get it, but the game essentially just makes more gold, silver, or copper every time you kill a creature or complete a quest and gives it to you as a reward... the new gold finds its way into the busy player economy rather quickly.

There are some ways that blizzard keeps the gold supply more scarce, though. Whenever you purchase goods or services from a non-player character, the money is essentially just deleted from the game world, and this happens every time you need to repair your battered equipment, or buy food, or purchase a mount, etc.

dannno
10-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Just to clarify the gold thing in WoW so its not confusing to anyone who doesn't play...

what we call "gold" in wow is generated "out of thin air" even more readily than the way the federal reserve issues credit. Granted, you have to do a little work to get it, but the game essentially just makes more gold, silver, or copper every time you kill a creature or complete a quest and gives it to you as a reward... the new gold finds its way into the busy player economy rather quickly.

There are some ways that blizzard keeps the gold supply more scarce, though. Whenever you purchase goods or services from a non-player character, the money is essentially just deleted from the game world, and this happens every time you need to repair your battered equipment, or buy food, or purchase a mount, etc.

So they really should be using the money to investigate WoW for devaluing the game's currency.

Just like in real life.

micahnelson
10-15-2008, 12:44 PM
So they really should be using the money to investigate WoW for devaluing the game's currency.

Just like in real life.

No kidding. It has created a service based economy. Low level players have to do all the harvesting and mining for the high level players. Serfdom baby.

Ninja Homer
10-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Sounds like some game addicts fresh out of college working for NIS just convinced the Gov to pay them to play WoW all day.

Andrew-Austin
10-15-2008, 12:54 PM
But it is kind of funny in a depressingly catastrophic, end of the world kinda way.

micahnelson
10-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Sounds like some game addicts fresh out of college working for NIS just convinced the Gov to pay them to play WoW all day.

This.

NEPA_Revolution
10-15-2008, 12:59 PM
If you want to see hyperinflation in a game.. try SilkRoad Online. I play it. In a legit server in other versions with out gold sellers, the strongest highest level item, a seal of sun sells for 500 Million Gold. In the international version with gold sellers etc, a Seal of Sun goes for 2 Billion or more.

BarryDonegan
10-15-2008, 12:59 PM
suspiciously small budget.