PDA

View Full Version : What do you people think about joining the military?

paulpwns
10-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Say Hypothetical I was thinking of joining into the army or the coast guard as an officer?

What do you think the pros and cons of this is?

Jeremy
10-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Depends if you're fine with your life and your freedom being controlled by politicians... this is 2008, you'll be policing the world for sure because that's what the bureaucrats want.

Bman
10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Say Hypothetical I was thinking of joining into the army or the coast guard as an officer?

Pros = You're serving your country.

Cons = You're serving the people who run this country.

Malakai
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
My dream was always to be a scientist, physicist specifically, only way that could happen would be with the military.

I wouldn't go in with foreign occupations going on, frankly I wouldn't trust them to not just ship me straight to Iraq after basic.
Also don't like the idea of being a universal soldier for corrupt elites.

Bman
10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
My dream was always to be a scientist, physicist specifically, only way that could happen would be with the military.

There's plenty of ways to get loans and grants for college. You may have to go to a state school or such but it is doable. You just have to work 30 hours a week while in school. It's not easy and you certainly become jealous of rich friends, but it works.

misericordia
10-14-2008, 09:46 PM

pros; imminent death or dismemberment, you finally get to shoot a family member.

I can't see any cons.

hopeforamerica
10-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Cons: fighting un-constituional wars waged by douchebags.

the biss
10-14-2008, 09:59 PM
As a libertarian in the Army in the early 90s, it was difficult for me to live inside the closest thing to Communism that America had to offer at the time. I don't recommend military life for any liberty minded people. (Wow, what an oxymoron).

dr. hfn
10-14-2008, 10:04 PM
join the military, serve the u.n.

join the MILITIA, serve AMERICA

nbhadja
10-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Pros: ........

Cons:
You are help bankrupting the country by following the evil politicians orders.
You are risking your life for nothing.
You are wasting your time.

tremendoustie
10-14-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm a quazi-pacifist, so a definite no from me. The only way I'd ever consider violence is in the defense of innocents from eminent attack and threat of bodily harm. And we're talking clear, immediate, guy holding a gun or plunger type of situation.

ClockwiseSpark
10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Travel to distant lands. $4407 fiat dollars

See sights all around the world. $500,000,000 fiat dollars

Meeting new people and killing them. Priceless

dwdollar
10-14-2008, 10:19 PM
If you want to serve your country, join a militia. If you want a steady paycheck, money for college, or something to put on the resume, then join the military. However, I can almost guarantee, knowing what you know now, you're going to hate it before your term is over.

Frankly, I'd rather have you fighting with us, instead of serving the people we are fighting.

fr33domfightr
10-14-2008, 11:03 PM

I guess you should ask yourself, what do you expect to get out of it? What is the reason for selecting Military Service?

I thought about it myself when I was younger. I think the main reason was because I didn't really have a plan after High School. My Dad was actually retired from the Military (over 20 years), and he didn't think it was a good idea. He believed it was better to go to school instead.

I think by having the service you are given preferential treatment in hiring, in the work place. If you will be serving in some type of position of authority in the service, that certainly is applicable in the workplace as a Supervisor or Manager, as you need people skills in dealing with subordinates. Those are transferable skills and would be beneficial IF that's what you're looking for AFTER your military service. You should think about what you plan to do after your military service, that might help you decide if you should go into the service to begin with.

FF

Danke
10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
It is easier to influence those in then from the outside. Just be aware of the potential consequences.

I was an officer for over 10 years. I sometimes wish I would have stuck it out. I would have been higher ranking now and in a position to educate. You are already aware so that is a huge plus. The military needs good moral men following the Constitution. It is an oath you will take as an officer.

Captain America
10-14-2008, 11:10 PM
join the military and say you couldn't do some tasks because it violates your oath to the Constitution

Knightskye
10-14-2008, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't unless we had a non-interventionist foreign policy.

Then maybe I'd join the National Guard.

But it's not likely unless a third party wins.

misericordia
10-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Do you think those boys who supported RP from Iraq are coming home in anything other than a box? This system will not tolerate trained fighter patriots on it's own soil.

qh4dotcom
10-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Pros: ........

Cons:
You are help bankrupting the country by following the evil politicians orders.
You are risking your life for nothing.
You are wasting your time.

Great answer

Many people say Bush is a war criminal...do you want to be his accomplice and help carry out his war crimes by joining the military?

Leadman584
10-14-2008, 11:31 PM
If your financial situation is so dire that you are willing to possibly die for a lie. The quality of the services are Air Force Reserve, Air Force active duty, Air National Guard, Navy Reserves (Flight status), US Navy, (flight status), Army (flight status), US Marines (Air Wing only). From there it gets really bad. I served in the Marines for 7 years, but managed to stay in the Wing the whole time. The Air Force plays the least silly games of all services.

Crowish
10-14-2008, 11:47 PM
If you want to serve your country, join a militia. If you want a steady paycheck, money for college, or something to put on the resume, then join the military. However, I can almost guarantee, knowing what you know now, you're going to hate it before your term is over.

Frankly, I'd rather have you fighting with us, instead of serving the people we are fighting.

I'm not convinced that the gov't will have the resources for that steady paycheck, promised future college funding, VA benefits, etc.

Pericles
10-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Like a couple of other posters, I have been an Army officer (Armor).

Pro: You will have the opportunity to learn how to wage war, be responsible for the lives of other citizens under the most stressful of circumstances, possibly the fate of the nation as well, and anything else that happens to you in life will seem trivial.

Con: The only people who will value what you have done will be other people who have done what you have done, or have had a close family member in the same circumstances.

nodope0695
10-15-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm active duty Navy, and I like being in the military, though I disagree with how the politicians use us.

Its not for everybody, and truly can be a challenge sometimes.

But the OP is right, people who have never served can not understand what its like. There is really no civilian comparison.

Malakai
10-15-2008, 12:59 AM
There's plenty of ways to get loans and grants for college. You may have to go to a state school or such but it is doable. You just have to work 30 hours a week while in school. It's not easy and you certainly become jealous of rich friends, but it works.

I already started on the path, got my AA done with the highest math and science the community college offered.
It's getting to the university from where I live that's a problem. I would need a car in much better shape to make the drive, and saving enough for something good with the way my jobs have been going lately just hasn't happened. I admit the jobs I've had lately have sucked so much I couldn't stand to work more than 30hrs a week.

I have to figure out what I'm doing by the end of the year. I think I'm going to try to get a bachelors in something economics related that is offered at a closer school.
I'm pretty worried about getting loans with all the uncertainty, interest could skyrocket in coming years. Not to mention I have never had a credit card or loan in my life. I got this far on federal pell grants and own money, took almost 4 years working full time 3 of them just for the AA =)

No disrespect to you military guys by the way. The morality of serving a largely corrupt government to protect it's citizens is way out of my league. Understanding the circumstances of today and serving anyway for that purpose, I can respect that. If any tyrannical orders come in the future though, feel free to object! I read several places some military will be placed in the US for 'domestic disturbances' or some such. MSM article too

paulpwns
10-21-2008, 02:24 PM
So many military haters here....

Thanks for all of you guys that served.

Here is my situation. I graduated with a bachelors in political science in May. I looked for jobs for like 6 months, with no luck. I am now waiting tables and I want to do something to help my country, and fight within the liberty movement. I don't really want to go back to school. I love the U.S and the military, but I don't like how our corrupt politicians use them. I know I want to be an officer, but I cannot join the air force because I have a non-technical degree. Any more advice from people that served would be awesome.

jkm1864
10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
If You want a job go into the merchant marine or go work offshore it pays a hell of alot more and pretty good job security. If You want to be a slave to the NWO then join the army and become the new wave of canon fodder. Every war since WW2 has been fought to make these fucks richer and to suppress poor peasants. Do You really want to suppress poor people and make the rich fat fuck richer especially when he hasn't worked a fuckin day in his life.

Danke
10-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I know I want to be an officer, but I cannot join the air force because I have a non-technical degree. Any more advice from people that served would be awesome.

Are you sure about that? Is a technical degree mandatory for OTS now?

I know it wasn't years ago.

Well, if you can't get into the Air Force, the marines will always take ya.

paulpwns
10-21-2008, 03:14 PM
More thoughts please.

rancher89
10-21-2008, 03:25 PM
We've had this discussion with different OP's several times.

I'm ex Army Med Corp, Vietnam Era (didn't go over there tho--had enough taking care of the guys who made it back to our hospital thank you very much.)

The military has always been a pretty good answer if you have no idea what you are going to do with your life.

As Leadman says:
<<<If your financial situation is so dire that you are willing to possibly die for a lie. The quality of the services are Air Force Reserve, Air Force active duty, Air National Guard, Navy Reserves (Flight status), US Navy, (flight status), Army (flight status), US Marines (Air Wing only). From there it gets really bad. I served in the Marines for 7 years, but managed to stay in the Wing the whole time. The Air Force plays the least silly games of all services. >>>

QFT everyone, this is for real, better food, better stations, better life all the way around.

Back on the previous page there was the comment about needing liberty loving patriots in the service and THAT is QFT also, damn straight. We have a serious lacking in that department IMHO and while the military isn't for everyone, I'd rather have a liberty loving patriot on the other end of that gun than a sheeple....

Dequeant
10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
As a member of the military, don't let current events dissuade you. We need good people who actually understand the gravity of the oath they take to get in, and the meaning of the constitution.

No matter what, you will never have to obey an unconstitutional order. Your interpretation of constitutional may conflict with others, but that's your call. A time may come when you have to tell your friends, supervisors and co-workers, "I'm sorry sir, but I cannot obey that order". As long as your willing to do that if and when the time comes, I encourage you to join.

I'm not saying doing that would be easy......hell, I pretty much live with the reality that it may soon happen to me. It will be hard. But there is truly something to be said for someone who despite popular opinion, and all the hardship it may cause them to endure, no matter how hopelessly the case, stands firm for what they believe in.

dannno
10-21-2008, 03:41 PM
I think it's a bad idea, but the above post makes sense. If everybody in the military were Ron Paul supporters, we wouldn't be fighting in Iraq and nobody would be afraid of Martial Law.

satchelmcqueen
10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
total waste of time in this day and time we are in.

RevolutionSD
10-21-2008, 05:05 PM

WOW, why would you EVER become a paid killer for the government?

Stop buying the propaganda and stay the hell away from the military!

Bunkerbuilder
10-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Keep this in mind, You are theirs IE they own you after you sign the enlistment contract.

They can do anything they want with you no matter what and you have no recourse.

Did you ever wonder why they shoot deserters ? its like your a plantation owner in the south and your slave runs off the slave is your property and when you join you are 100% their property.

This is coming from a 1970's vintage VET.

...NAVY = Never Again Volunteer Yourself..

Don't get me wrong here either, I LOVE the country but HATE the government with a passion. Blind obedience is not patriotism.

Its a corrupt Corporation with a CEO that is off his meds and wreaking havoc.

More thoughts please.

angelatc
10-21-2008, 05:58 PM

There's always honor in serving.

Better for us to know that at least a few military men might not fire on citizens.

SeanEdwards
10-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I think it's a bad idea, but the above post makes sense. If everybody in the military were Ron Paul supporters, we wouldn't be fighting in Iraq and nobody would be afraid of Martial Law.

You think all the guys doing third tours in Iraq think this war is a great idea? A lot of them think it sucks, but they load up and do their job anyway. It's called discipline.

Andrew-Austin
10-21-2008, 06:56 PM
I'd never fucking join the military, even if I were cut out for it. lol

You think all the guys doing third tours in Iraq think this war is a great idea? A lot of them think it sucks, but they load up and do their job anyway. It's called discipline.

I think its called just following orders. But yeah the more liberty-minded soldiers we have all the better I suppose.

klamath
10-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Hard call. 20 year vet here that got out because non belief in the wars. You sign on that dotted line and any objection to orders can mean a fight that can wreak your future. The next four years are not going to see any relief for service men and women. There is a lot of great things about serving in the military but it can become pure hell when you realize you are not upholding the constitution but are being used and abused like a pawn. At this point in history I would really really give it some deep thought.

qh4dotcom
10-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Hard call. 20 year vet here that got out because non belief in the wars. You sign on that dotted line and any objection to orders can mean a fight that can wreak your future. The next four years are not going to see any relief for service men and women. There is a lot of great things about serving in the military but it can become pure hell when you realize you are not upholding the constitution but are being used and abused like a pawn. At this point in history I would really really give it some deep thought.

The way you say it....sounds like a no-brainer more than a hard call