PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin bumper sticker removed

Spider-Man
10-14-2008, 04:35 PM
I just removed Chuck Baldwin from my bumper. I've been thinking about it for a while.

I'm beginning to think Bob Barr was right about the liberty vote. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should choke on my pride and vote for Barr despite not liking him personally.

Despite the fact that I think Chuck Baldwin personally would make a great president, I really feel like a vote for Baldwin is also a vote for the Constitution Party, which, like it or not, in addition to being a constitutionalist political party is also an evangelical Christian club.

So, anyway, the bumper sticker is off. Since I can't make up my own mind, I shouldn't try to make up others'. I might replace it with a "vote third party" or other sticker.

newyearsrevolution08
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Your theory makes sense only if you are a "party voter".

Spider-Man
10-14-2008, 04:40 PM
I should clarify that I'm still leaning about 50% toward Baldwin, primarily because I'm a pro-life libertarian, and I'm not really satisfied with the LP's platform statement regarding abortion.

That said, myself being a deist, I don't feel comfortable trying to convince the mass of the population (or everyone who sees my bumper sticker) to vote with a party that explicitly aims to follow the Savior Jesus Christ and "return" to "Biblical law."

It's a tough decision. But at least I'm not in any way persuaded to vote for McBama.

NewFederalist
10-14-2008, 04:55 PM
I feel your pain. I like Baldwin as a person better than Barr but Barr has a better background for the office than Baldwin. Barr is likely to poll far more votes than Baldwin simply because Baldwin is not on the ballot in CA, NY and TX and Barr is. All that said... I live in PA and Baldwin is not on the ballot here so the choice was made for me!

kombayn
10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I feel your pain. I like Baldwin as a person better than Barr but Barr has a better background for the office than Baldwin. Barr is likely to poll far more votes than Baldwin simply because Baldwin is not on the ballot in CA, NY and TX and Barr is. All that said... I live in PA and Baldwin is not on the ballot here so the choice was made for me!

You can always write-in Chuck Baldwin. Go to Ballot-Access.org and look at the chart, he's registered as a write-in candidate.

NewFederalist
10-14-2008, 06:11 PM
You can always write-in Chuck Baldwin. Go to Ballot-Access.org and look at the chart, he's registered as a write-in candidate.

I am aware of that. Since neither Baldwin or Barr are going to win the presidency, I prefer to cast a vote that helps build an alternative party in PA. A write-in vote does not do that.

kombayn
10-14-2008, 06:13 PM
^Ah, ok. That makes perfect sense to me then. :)

UnReconstructed
10-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Is a vote for Ron Paul a vote for Republicans?

Spider-Man
10-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Is a vote for Ron Paul a vote for Republicans?

Yes, a vote for Ron Paul, had he secured the Republican nomination, would be a vote for Ron Paul and a vote for the Republican Party. In that case, the benefit of electing Ron Paul as POTUS would far outweigh the harm of voting for the GOP, or rather NOT voting for the Libertarian Party.

A vote for Chuck Baldwin is in the same manner also a vote for the Constitution Party and a vote against all other candidates running and all other parties fielding candidates. A vote for Bob Barr is a vote for Bob Barr and the Libertarian Party.

The reason I answer in the affirmative is that the parties themselves want their respective candidates to receive votes because the party benefits.

moostraks
10-15-2008, 08:06 AM
spider-man...I feel your angst over this issue. I personally like Baldwin, but dislike religion and politics so overtly married. I am a Christian, but walked many paths before arriving to this position.(And detest the evangelical political mindset to force beliefs upon others) Stick with the vote third party position, and vote personally for the individual. You will sleep better at night impo....

slacker921
10-15-2008, 08:43 AM
here you go.. stick one of these on (http://voteneither08.com).