PDA

View Full Version : New to Ron Paul??? Whats your story??

quickmike
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I got the idea for this after reading Max's post and just thought It would be cool to get an idea on what brought you to the forum.

Did you just learn about him or have you known him for a while?

Was it the debate?

stuff like that

Thanks alot

Always good to hear about new RP converts and people who just found out about him recently.

PathIveMade
09-06-2007, 02:59 PM
I've known of RP for a while now, but have never been moved to be active in anyone's campaign until now. He's the only logical choice. If you look close at his stands on the issues (of which i agree with about 90%), and his straight forward, no nonsense approach, why bother with the same 'ol same. Even the things I'm not 100% behind.... he stands his ground, (regardless of the "consequences") and I respect that immensely. We need a breath of fresh air in our political system... If half the people who are so active on the net and in his meetup groups actually get out and vote... we may get exactly that.

Qiu
09-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I never supported any politician as much as Ron Paul and haven't heard of him until recently. Hearing his straightforward and intellectual arguments contrasted with the bumper sticker slogans and vagueness of the other candidates really did it for me.

quickmike
09-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I never supported any politician as much as Ron Paul and haven't heard of him until recently. Hearing his straightforward and intellectual arguments contrasted with the bumper sticker slogans and vagueness of the other candidates really did it for me.

Yeah, I think thats what attracts most people to him. Definitely one of a kind.

Wilkero
09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
I've been a forum member for a couple of months. I lurk this forum extensively (and have since I discovered Ron Paul in April), but my posts are exceedingly rare. I'm probably best described as a classical liberal, and therefore, I identify with the ideals and values of Thomas Jefferson. That alignment is probably due to my educational interests and background. I was an attorney for a few years, but now I'm working on a Ph.D. in economics and I am a stay-at-home dad. In any event, I'll try to become a little more active so you can get to know me since I've begun to identify with many of you.

Best Wishes

ghemminger
09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the Revolution!

So, you have just discovered Ron Paul. Congratulations and welcome to the revolution! Many of you have never been involved with a political movement before. I was you merely six months ago. I expect that you are much like I was a few months ago, unsure of what to do next. Hopefully this will give you a little orientation to the Ron Paul Revolution!

1)There is no national direction for our grassroots campaign- so don't wait for instructions.

This may come as a surprise to you, but we are a true grassroots movement. The signs you see, the fliers you have received, and the Internet dominance we have achieved have been independent from the national campaign. So what does this mean to you? Since no one is in charge, we have to take charge for ourselves. Ideally this would be done through your local Meetup group. These small groups are the smaller cells that make up the body of the campaign. You can access Meetup directly, or go through the www.RonPaul2008.com website. Join a local group and see what they are doing. You may find that working with a small local group is better than going it alone. This does, however, lead me to my second point

2)Ron Paul attracts many different types of people, so understand that you will disagree with some of the people you meet.

Don't feel intimidated or get angry with people who feel differently than you. Focus on the main goal of getting Ron Paul the Republican Nomination, and then the Presidency. If political differences become too much, don't be afraid of starting your own group. The worst thing you can do is give up on the movement because of disagreement with some of its members.

3)Think and operate as locally as possible, starting with friends and family

Do you know two people who are unsatisfied with our government? I doubt you could find two people who ARE satisfied. If at all possible, try to “Double Yourself” which is to say, find two people to support the Ron Paul campaign and will “Double” themselves. This sort of growth is exponential, and has been the key to our success thus far. While some meetups and online communities are collaborating on large scale media advertising, don't overlook the importance of convince your own circle of influence. Here is a little joke that might give you some insight

Q: How can you tell you are in a room with a Ron Paul supporter?
A: He'll tell you.

4)Use your talents, abilities, and skills.

During the Revolutionary War, heroes were made out of seamstresses, orators, soldiers, financiers, shopkeepers and more. There is even a place in history for Molly Pitcher, who brought water to soldiers, and manned artillery after her husband fell. Don't try to be someone your not, just use who you are to support the campaign. Bake cookies for neighbors with Ron Paul fliers, talk to your friends or pastor at church, the possibilities are as diverse- and that gives us strength.

5)Don't Forget the Basics

Put a Ron Paul bumper sticker on your car. When possible, wear a “Who is Ron Paul?” T-shirt (people WILL ask you), and keep campaign literature at the ready to give out.

Where you go is up to you. This is new territory for all of us.

Stay informed, Stay Motivated, and most of all Stay Excited!

Useful Sites:
www.RonPaul2008.com
www.Ronpaulforums.com
www.RonPaul.Meetup.Com
www.freeme.tv
www.youtube.com Ron Pauls videos under the YouChoose '08 category

Please Donate to MarchAcrossAmerica.blogspot.com

Spirit of '76
09-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Welcome to all of you. It's great to hear your stories.

nullvalu
09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Welcome, indeed! Great to see new people here.. Come on lurkers, join up! ;)

PAforRP
09-06-2007, 03:30 PM
After last night, I did a simple google for "Ron Paul forum" and this came up.

I have always voted Republican, but am so disgusted with the Republican party right now.

I took a long break from talk radio, and foxnews.. not wanting to be inundated with election stuff just yet.

I have been lurking at political forums though, and took note of the hatred and ridicule, from the right, towards Ron Paul. Some folks do nothing but start hate threads against RonPaul. Well that did get my attention. Why the hate? Is he that much of a threat?

After skimming over Ron Pauls stances on issues, I decided to watch the debate last evening, starting about a quarter of the way into it.

Understand, I didnt even recognize by sight, any of the folks other than Rudy and McCain. I have chosen to be this much out of the loop. So I was watching the debates with a "clean slate". Ron Paul owned it. He is sharp as a tack. He has my vote, and I hope to convert at least 4 other folks.

I am in PA, and have seen one homemade RonPaul political sign already, so know I am not alone.

Spirit of '76
09-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Nice! If you're in Western PA, the Pittsburgh area meetup group is VERY active.

PAforRP
09-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Nice! If you're in Western PA, the Pittsburgh area meetup group is VERY active. I am in South Eastern, (Lancaster County)and see that the next meetup is in Philadelphia.. a bit far (and traumatic!!) for me to drive too. I see there is a group in York Pa, which might be feasible.

kylejack
09-06-2007, 03:42 PM
I am in PA, and have seen one homemade RonPaul political sign already, so know I am not alone.
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/about

Join up. Suit up. Rise up.

There's a lot that can be done in your area through Meetup groups, I'm sure. There certainly is in mine.

Also, your story warms the cockles of my heart.

Bryan
09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Great stories- thanks for posting!

Welcome! :)

Spirit of '76
09-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I am in South Eastern, (Lancaster County)and see that the next meetup is in Philadelphia.. a bit far (and traumatic!!) for me to drive too. I see there is a group in York Pa, which might be feasible.

Yeah. You might also check the Maryland meetups.

Oddball
09-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi...I'm Oddball....And I'm a Paulaholic. :)

saku39
09-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I became aware of Ron Paul early 2007 or so. This guy on a martial arts website kept posting threads about the federal reserve with videos of Ron Paul. I dismissed it at the time, thinking incorrectly, "Why would anyone want to get rid of the federal reserve? They help the economy. This guy is just a crazy old man."

In late May, I saw a Ron Paul compilation video of the 2nd republican debate on Youtube that had a large number of hits. I thought: "Republicans? Crap. They are worse than the democrats-- And that's hard to do. But why is a video about the republican debate getting so many hits? Most debates are boring as hell. Why are people watching?"

Curious, I clicked it.

It was a breath of fresh air compared to what I've ever seen of politicians previously. At the time, I didn't agree with half of what he was saying, but he seemed honest and he was saying things I've NEVER heard anyone else say, which made him that much more intriguing.

His exchange with Rudy automatically made me a fan.

After Rudy responded to his remarks, I was shocked. Why was the audience clapping for Rudy? Have they not paid attention to the past few years? Did they not hear what Dr Paul said? He spoke truth and they were applauding the wrong guy. The after debate coverage helped seal the deal. Again, during his interview with Hannity, he spoke the truth, but Hannity dismissed it and kept arguing a illogical viewpoint. Watching Hannity try to attack him and watching Fox News try to smear him, was even more proof for me that I was going to vote for this guy no matter what-- Just to spite FOX.

During this period, I was going to vote for him because I mistrust and dislike all politicans and lobbyists. I've worked at government offices before. Because of my experience, I believe that bureaucrats and lobbyists are in control in Washington and I believe that most politicians just game the system. I felt that sending this guy to the presidency will screw up everything these people have going.

I watched more youtube videos that covered the debates and discovered either the lack of coverage or the smear tactics used on him. It made me even more sure I was right, as all the right people hated his guts. Fox News/News Corp specifically seemed to really go out of their way to try and attack him.

I was suprised at all the youtube videos random people made. Who were all these people posting this stuff? Where did they come from?

I saw interviews with him, news footage, and previous debate coverage. I got to see how he responds to questions and how most MSM tries to marginalize him. After about 30 or so videos, I had more questions than answers. The biggest being, why are some of them going out of their way to either smear him or act like he doesn't exist? And then it hit me--

Wow, they are completely terrified of this man.

But why?

. . . I believe that all news is partisan, it's just a matter of degree and what side they're on. Whether it be reporters or media moguls, consiously or unconsiously, they will try to influence people to further their agenda-- Just as Brit Hume would like to see "conservative republicans" in charge as opposed to Dan Rather wanting "liberal democrats." I get my news from a variety of sources: CNN, FOX, CBS, PBS, BBC and the internet. I try to get as many viewpoints as possible because I don't trust one network or person. . .

Regardless of his political views, certain media talking heads are irritated and scared of him because he does not do political theater like they desire and are used to. He represents REAL change totally contrary to their beliefs and none of them can influence him in any way. The best they can do is influence their viewers/readers to not support him.

With that in mind, over June, July and August; I studied Dr Paul. Articles and posts at Lew Rockwell, mises.org, Daily Paul, and later ronpaulforums.com and ronpaullibrary.org made me change my previous thinking completely.

At first I was in complete shock that someone would even suggest abolishing the IRS, the Federal Reserve, the Dept of Education, Dept of Commerce, NAFTA, NATO, Dept of Energy, FEMA, Homeland Security, etc. But the more I read and the more I studied, the more it made sense. I know way more about economics now than I ever did previously. I also know more about history and foreign policy know then I ever did previously. Every article and book I read only supported whatever he was saying about Foreign policy and Monetary policy.

I don't agree with Dr Paul completely, but it doesn't matter-- because the things I do agree on, there is NOBODY else saying anything close and there is NOBODY else that has the record he does. This guy is righteous.

Originally, I had only planned to support Ron Paul because I hoped that through my support, a broken system I despized would hiccup even more and hopefully be replaced with something better. But now, after months of study I support him because I understand what he stands for and from a logical standpoint it makes complete sense.

So, with all that said: Ron Paul is my candidate. He is my man because:

***He is the only one that has a consistent viewpoint.
***His viewpoint is backed up by historical precedance and logical arguments.
***He doesn't change his positions to suit him in whatever political climate is currently popular.
***He has a 20 year voting record that proves if he says he's going to vote one way, he WILL vote one way and one way only.
***He has better ideas.
***He speaks truth.

wgadget
09-06-2007, 07:26 PM
That is beautiful, man. And I really needed that after spending most of the day listening to sleazy "conservative" talk radio hosts calling Ron Paul names and having a lovefest for Fred. It seems to never end. But thanks for the reminder.
'
I realize that most listeners can't stand the whininess and arrogance of people like Sean Hannity and Michael Medved. In fact, their nastiness contrasts perfectly with Ron Paul. He is a gentleman.

Thanks for the story.