PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barr-most well known Libertarian Presidential Candidate Ever-Needs Donations!!!

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:14 PM
The 3rd Parties Are Going to Rock the System this year. But we're not done yet!

Facts:

Chuck Baldwin will get tons of Ron Paul votes. He needs no more money!

Ralp Nader will get alot of votes. He has reached his October Surprise Goal!

Cynthia Mckinney will get her Green votes!

Ron Paul will get the die hard votes!

Bob Barr will get the Libertarian votes! But he needs some more money! Hes the most well known 3rd Party Candidate! Help the Freedom Movement!!! Lets Push him into the spotlight, TURN THIS ELECTION UPSIDE DOWN!!!!!

FUCK YA!!!

Donate Here: http://www.bobbarr2008.com/

The_Orlonater
10-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Gosh, I'd donate if I had money. :(

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:17 PM
i'm a poor fricking College Student and I donate all the money I make,

DO U WANT LIBERTY OR NOT!!!!???

The_Orlonater
10-13-2008, 09:18 PM
At least you have a choice to donate some money. I don't, I'm freaking 15.

speciallyblend
10-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Here is a quarter, call someone who cares;) sorry tt

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Harry Browne. Most well known libertarian candidate.

Kludge
10-13-2008, 09:24 PM

I was thinking Ron Paul... :p

torchbearer
Oh and Bob Barr's campaign fucked up getting on the ballot in the easiest state in the union for getting on the ballot.
He didn't bother returning any of the calls of the LALP central committee either.

He has no fans in the LP in this state.

bojo68
When it comes to Barr, my heart pumps purple peanut butter.

Brassmouth

Never heard of him.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:25 PM

He is considered legend, but not because he ran in '88. But because he has been in congress.
Though I must concede... you may in fact be right.

Ninja Homer

Ditto

torchbearer
Never heard of him.

Are you a libertarian?... nevermind... you can't be or you are under the age of 25.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. YOU IDIOTS DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ADVANCING THE PHILOSOPHY OF LIBERTY, DO YOU!!!

i've donated all i can to BJ, Ron Paul, Chuck, and Barr...

The_Orlonater
10-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Are you a libertarian?... nevermind... you can't be or you are under the age of 25.

Maybe so, but when talking to many people older than me.

They didn't even really know of the LP until this election, or even paid attention to it.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:29 PM
so are you emotional idiots going to let your feelings get in the way of saving our nation and defending Liberty in our country?!

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe so, but when talking to many people older than me.

They didn't even really know of the LP until this election, or even paid attention to it.

Harry Browne wasn't just a libertarian candidate, and anyone with an education knows who he is... or let's say, he's as well known as Mises, Hayek, and Peter Schiff.
The people that don't know harry browne, don't know any of the above.

To say, more people know Bozo the Clown, doesn't say much for Bozo does it?

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
so are you emotional idiots going to let your feelings get in the way of saving our nation and defending Liberty in our country?!

Bob Barr spent $20,000 on an A/C unit for his office, which resides in one of his own buildings.
We had a central committee meeting because of this.... we thought maybe Verney gave him the advice.... but who knows.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:32 PM
idk who harry browne is and i know who the other guys are

Kludge
10-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Are there any concise and recent history books (a tome would be preferable, really...) on the Libertarian Party?

Wouldn't mind some more insight on the Party.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Are there any concise and recent history books (a tome would be preferable, really...) on the Libertarian Party?

I haven't seen any history books on the LP. But I can answer a lot of questions about it. I've been heavily involved with the LP for 12 years. Most of that time on the central committee. Holding the office of Vice-Chair for a year.

Fun fact- The first woman to recieve an electoral college vote was an LPer.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.lpstuff.com/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=3

http://www.mises.org/store/Libertarian-Collection-C56.aspx

VOTE BOB BARR!

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:35 PM
idk who harry browne is and i know who the other guys are

That is not something I would be proud of....

The_Orlonater
10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Harry Browne wasn't just a libertarian candidate, and anyone with an education knows who he is... or let's say, he's as well known as Mises, Hayek, and Peter Schiff.
The people that don't know harry browne, don't know any of the above.

To say, more people know Bozo the Clown, doesn't say much for Bozo does it?

Just asking here, since I am too young to remember much of the 2000 elections.

How much media coverage did he get? Was there a huge group of supporters that he had?

Maybe Bob isn't a huge Libertarian, but he did get our name out there. Wasn't he polling double digits in some states, not too long ago?

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:37 PM
torchbearer, are u always so damn negative and mean?

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:40 PM
torchbearer, are u always so damn negative and mean?

Only when it comes to Bob Barr, because he earned it from his actions with the LALP over the past few months.

For you info- I was shilling for him up to october. I was convincing those who were going to write in Ron Paul to vote for Barr.

Bob Barr snubbed Ron's Press Conference.
Bob Barr snubbed our central committee.
Bob Barr fucked up getting on an easy ballot.
Bob Barr hasn't earned any respect.

I don't have anything personal against the guy. I was asking people to vote for him. But not anymore. And it has everything to do with what Bob Barr has done.

yongrel
10-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Donate to BJ Lawson.

The_Orlonater
10-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Only when it comes to Bob Barr, because he earned it from his actions with the LALP over the past few months.

For you info- I was shilling for him up to october. I was convincing those who were going to write in Ron Paul to vote for Barr.

I don't have anything personal against the guy. I was asking people to vote for him. But not anymore. And it has everything to do with what Bob Barr has done.

Over a Conference?

Yes, the man has fucked up. But I want a stronger LP?

What do you suppose we do? Write in RP, an waste our vote?

ClockwiseSpark
10-13-2008, 09:42 PM

lol!

Seriously.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Just asking here, since I am too young to remember much of the 2000 elections.

How much media coverage did he get? Was there a huge group of supporters that he had?

Maybe Bob isn't a huge Libertarian, but he did get our name out there. Wasn't he polling double digits in some states, not too long ago?

We didn't have youtube back them.. and the internet wasn't this interactive besides IRC.

He was on TV more than any other Libertarian Candidate.
He was well spoken and educated.
He represented the party well.. and never embarassed the party.

He worked with all the state parties, and he did everything to help the party grow.
It wasn't about "Harry Browne", it was about Liberty.

Bob Barr, is about Bob Barr. He has made that clear.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:43 PM

and this is why the LP gets nowhere, grudges and internal strife...., do you want Obama or McCain in the white house?!

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Over a Conference?

Yes, the man has fucked up. But I want a stronger LP?

What do you suppose we do? Write in RP, an waste our vote?

What? Not just a conference, did you read all my post?
No- vote for Barr.
But don't act like he is something he is not.

afmatt
10-13-2008, 09:44 PM

Same here - I was going to vote barr. Then he pulled that press conference stunt. Now I'm voting Baldwin, or writing in Ron Paul, haven't made up my mind yet.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:45 PM
and this is why the LP gets nowhere, grudges and internal strife...., do you want Obama or McCain in the white house?!

You are why this party gets no where. You don't even know our history.
You are completely ignorant, shilling for a person who suppose to represent a party of intellectuals.
You might as well vote for Obama. He's popular too.

Chester Copperpot
Bob Barr obviously doesnt need ANY MONEY from Ron Paul supporters.. Especially after he dissed Ron Paul for his press conference....

Dont come around here no more Bob Barr...

Silly.. He woulda been a shoe in for RPs support too.

Perhaps he is a CIA plant afterall... none of us would have fucked up that press conference so bad... and we're amateurs

Kludge
I haven't seen any history books on the LP. But I can answer a lot of questions about it. I've been heavily involved with the LP for 12 years. Most of that time on the central committee. Holding the office of Vice-Chair for a year.

Found a Youtube video on LP history (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYQRzXd1UvQ). Do hope the remaining founders write a book soon!

speciallyblend
10-13-2008, 09:46 PM

If it wasn't for harry browne ,i would of never known the message of Ron Paul.

If it wasn't for a failed drug war , i wouldn't known a bastard like barr...... i trust barr like i trust mccain. 0%

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Bob Barr obviously doesnt need ANY MONEY from Ron Paul supporters.. Especially after he dissed Ron Paul for his press conference....

Dont come around here no more Bob Barr...

Silly.. He woulda been a shoe in for RPs support too.

Perhaps he is a CIA plant afterall... none of us would have fucked up that press conference so bad... and we're amateurs

I had a bunch of Ron Paul supporters who were on the fence.
They told me, had he showed up at that press conference, they were going to vote for him... not now...
And I look like an idiot for asking them to vote for him.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Found a Youtube video on LP history (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYQRzXd1UvQ). Do hope the remaining founders write a book soon!

Hey, good find.
Maybe our friends on this thread will at least get a quick overview of our history.

Edit: Harry Browne. The only libertarian candidate to be on the ballot in all 50 states.

speciallyblend
10-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I had a bunch of Ron Paul supporters who were on the fence.
They told me, had he showed up at that press conference, they were going to vote for him... not now...
And I look like an idiot for asking them to vote for him.

pretty much the same way i feel.

Kludge
10-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey, good find.
Maybe our friends on this thread will at least getting a quick overview of our history.

Ended up not being what I was looking for... Seemed to just run all the Libertarian advertisements they could find.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
10-13-2008, 09:53 PM
nt

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Ok, first of all I'm new to the LP. I only joined the movemment late last year, so now you're being an asshole to a new member.
Second, Bob Barr will get media coverage. The other 3rds won't. Bob Barr will get on Glenn Beck and the other 3rds won't.

Barr will do good in Georgia.

Barr's party is bigger and older than the other 3rds.

Barr has more mainstream sheeple appeal.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:55 PM

HAHAHA! I love the Steve Kubby commercial for governor!!!
HAHAHAHA!

The guys on this thread probably don't know who Steve is...

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Ok, first of all I'm new to the LP. I only joined the movemment late last year, so now you're being an asshole to a new member.
Second, Bob Barr will get media coverage. The other 3rds won't. Bob Barr will get on Glenn Beck and the other 3rds won't.

Ok, then vote for Bob Barr. I'm not saying not to vote for him.
You need to learn your history before acting like you know what the fuck you are talking about when it comes to our party.

yongrel
10-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Donate to BJ Lawson.

speciallyblend
10-13-2008, 09:58 PM

???/ Dude///// Ronstock08 got more attention then barrs campaign,

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm only voting for Barr because fucking Baldwin isn't on the PA ballot!

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Ended up not being what I was looking for... Seemed to just run all the Libertarian advertisements they could find.

Yeah, but it gives me some ideas for my own commercials.

Does this help? http://www.lp.org/our-history

ClockwiseSpark
10-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Donate to BJ Lawson.

Or Michael Delavar.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm only voting for Barr because fucking Baldwin isn't on the PA ballot!

I'm voting for Ron Paul because I help put him on our ballot.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20081012/NEWS01/810120333
FYI- I'm that guy from Alexandria they are talking about.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/2932518280_fa24bb8170_o.jpg

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
how many state ballots is barr on?

looks like the LP is growing and doing better all the time, will this be a record year?!

ClockwiseSpark
10-13-2008, 10:03 PM

looks like the LP is growing and doing better all the time, will this be a record year?!

No, Barr f***ed that up big time.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:04 PM

No its not a record year. The record is Harry Browne. All 50 states.
Bob Barr is on 46 I think... maybe 47.

Kludge
10-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah, but it gives me some ideas for my own commercials.

Does this help? http://www.lp.org/our-history

Still want something ridiculously more thorough (like seriously -- I'm craving a 500+ page book to read), but thanks for the link -- It gives good insight on progress the party's made since their beginning.

Looking through Amazon for some books to read... I still haven't read "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Woods! Damn I need more time in the day...

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Every Libertarian Candidate in our history has made the Louisiana ballot, except for Bob Barr. Does that tell you something?

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 10:06 PM
so why the hell did Barr get nominated and elected if he sucks so much?

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Still want something ridiculously more thorough (like seriously -- I'm craving a 500+ page book to read), but thanks for the link -- It gives good insight on progress the party's made since their beginning.

Looking through Amazon for some books to read... I still haven't read "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Woods! Damn I need more time in the day...

Want to Co-author a book with me?
There isn't a book made of the history, and it will take some serious digging, and traveling, and money to put it all together.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:08 PM
so why the hell did Barr get nominated and elected if he sucks so much?

It was a direct consequence of the nomination of Michael Badnarik in 2004. WHo was a dark horse, came from no where... and extreme Purist who totally flopped.
When the 2008 convention came around, the purist had less sway with the moderates, who didn't want to repeat the failure of Badnarik, so they swung their votes for Barr.
See, there are three factions in the party. The Purist/Anarchist. The Moderates. And the GOP-Lite.

The Swing vote of the moderates usually determine who wins the convention. Another history lesson you need to learn.
Also- you need to attend your state central committee meetings, your state convention, and try to become a national delegate.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 10:09 PM
so the purist/anarchists are the real libertarians and..

the rest are crap infiltrators

Kludge
10-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Want to Co-author a book with me?
There isn't a book made of the history, and it will take some serious digging, and traveling, and money to put it all together.

There's no way I could start before Summer, but if you're still up for it then, I'd be honored (though very intimidated) to work with you on a project in such need!

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Kubby and Ruwart are Purist... Barr was GOP-Lite.
The ballots were about 50/50.
It was Root, another GOP-lite, who endorse Barr in the final ballot to swing the votes slightly to Barr.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:12 PM
so the purist/anarchists are the real libertarians and..

the rest are crap infiltrators

No- they are all libertarians.. they disagree on methods.
The purist want liberty, and they want it now.
The gop-lite thinks we needs to do things slowly...and bend our principles to win elections.

I consider myself a moderate... though I love Ruwart.
She would have better represented the message.
I accepted Barr for the good of the party. But his actions over time has slowly isolated him from the majority of the party.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Every Libertarian Candidate in our history has made the Louisiana ballot, except for Bob Barr. Does that tell you something?

Wait a minute, you can blame Barr, but isn't the ballot access system really biased and messed up

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:13 PM
There's no way I could start before Summer, but if you're still up for it then, I'd be honored (though very intimidated) to work with you on a project in such need!

YOu know where to find me. :)
We could make a good sum of money.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 10:13 PM
can i help?

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Wait a minute, you can blame Barr, but isn't the ballot access system really biased and messed up

With the help of the central committees, a candidate can get on most ballots if not all.
Harry Browne did it before there was such a thing as an internet organization.
I know for a fact Bob Barr lost ballot access in this state because of incompetence.
All it requires is a $500 filing fee to get on the ballot here. How stupid do you have to be to fuck that up?

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 10:19 PM
shit, Barr messes up alot, but i still am voting for him in PA...

HOW THE HELL DID HE GET ON PA'S BALLOT AND NOT AN EASY ONE LIKE LA???!!!

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:27 PM
shit, Barr messes up alot, but i still am voting for him in PA...

HOW THE HELL DID HE GET ON PA'S BALLOT AND NOT AN EASY ONE LIKE LA???!!!

I already told you the jist of it.

In detail: He sent a $500 dollar check(the wrong form of payment) to the wrong office.
They sent the check back to him, but by that time, he didn't have enough time to mail them a money order.
He then asked our chairman, after ignoring him for months, to get the electors and cash together.
Time ran out in the process.
LP sued to get on. District judge said, yes, you can be on the ballot, even though you are late. Appellate court said no. End of story.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 10:29 PM
WTF, what about McBama in Texas?! They got on the ballot illegally!

So it seems like Barr is trying to run a top down campaign. At least he has a cool site...

yongrel
10-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Donate to BJ Lawson.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
already did that multiple times

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
WTF, what about McBama in Texas?! They got on the ballot illegally!

So it seems like Barr is trying to run a top down campaign. At least he has a cool site...

The same reason was given.
In Texas, they said they couldn't take McCain and Obama off the ballot because it would confuse the troops who already recieved their absentee ballots.
In Louisiana, they said Barr couldn't be on the ballot because the extra absentee ballot that would be sent out would confuse the troops.
We all know that is bullshit, but that is what they are using to keep the status quo on the ballot, and keep outsider candidates off.

Kludge
10-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Speaking of the Two Party Duopoly preventing real elections...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=162963

PlzPeopleWakeUp
10-13-2008, 10:52 PM
nt

RevolutionSD
10-13-2008, 10:53 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/2600206204_de74f749fc_o.jpg

Kludge
10-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Say it three times. It will be more effective.
like this:

I'm told people respond to the following format better:

D O N A T E T O B J L A W S O N

O Donate To BJ Lawson

N Donate To BJ Lawson

A Donate To BJ Lawson

T Donate To BJ Lawson

E Donate To BJ Lawson

T Donate To BJ Lawson

O Donate To BJ Lawson

B Donate To BJ Lawson

J Donate To BJ Lawson

L Donate To BJ Lawson!

A Donate To BJ Lawson!

W Donate To BJ Lawson!

S Donate To BJ Lawson!

O Donate To BJ Lawson!

N Donate To BJ Lawson!

!

!

!

Chester Copperpot
10-13-2008, 10:58 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/2600206204_de74f749fc_o.jpg

hah!

svf
10-14-2008, 06:30 AM
fun thread goin' here, just wanted to pipe in with a little "reality check" re: the Harry Browne LP campaign(s)... speaking as a nat'l LP delegate (for Browne) in 2000, involved in party since 1996, even supported Badnarik in 04, voting for Barr in 08, blah de blah...

I love Harry Browne. I stumbled upon him on C-SPAN in 1996, otherwise who knows if I ever would have known the LP existed.

But to say he was "the most successful candidate in LP history" and "got the most TV coverage" is simply false. He hardly got ANY TV coverage, and when he did it was either C-SPAN or 2 minutes on a cable news network of some kind (which happened maybe twice).

Meanwhile, there was all the same infighting we see now with Barr surrounding Browne -- allegations of financial misconduct ("he's running for president to enrich himself and sell books"(!)), devious LP-takeover conspiracy theories about the "Browne people", i.e. Michael Cloud, Carla Howell, Perry Willis, supposed inappropriate involvment in the campaign(s) by LP executive staff, and on and on. Google it, it's still out there. A substantial faction of the LP fears nothing more than success, apparently, and as soon as one of their candidates start raising money and/or getting a little traction they assume something must be wrong and that it will somehow "destroy the party." Anyone who's been around the LP for more than 10 years has been here, done that, over and over again.

Barr or no Barr the LP will live to see another day and another election. All the hysteria surrounding "snubgate" and "GOP takeovers" and such is just so much sideshow distraction. Yeah, he fucked some shit up -- big time -- ESPECIALLY ballot access. But he'll still get more votes than Browne ever did which will HOPEFULLY help us in ballot access going forward. And no matter how you slice it, he IS getting a Libertarian message out there and being a (surprisingly) dedicated advocate for the Libertarian Party, NOT GOP-lite. If anything, his questionable approach to the barely-covered Ron Paul press conference demonstrates his perhaps OVERLY dedicated loyalties to the LP rather than "any-of-the above" third party advocacy.

Anyway.

speciallyblend
10-14-2008, 07:37 AM
fun thread goin' here, just wanted to pipe in with a little "reality check" re: the Harry Browne LP campaign(s)... speaking as a nat'l LP delegate (for Browne) in 2000, involved in party since 1996, even supported Badnarik in 04, voting for Barr in 08, blah de blah...

I love Harry Browne. I stumbled upon him on C-SPAN in 1996, otherwise who knows if I ever would have known the LP existed.

But to say he was "the most successful candidate in LP history" and "got the most TV coverage" is simply false. He hardly got ANY TV coverage, and when he did it was either C-SPAN or 2 minutes on a cable news network of some kind (which happened maybe twice).

Meanwhile, there was all the same infighting we see now with Barr surrounding Browne -- allegations of financial misconduct ("he's running for president to enrich himself and sell books"(!)), devious LP-takeover conspiracy theories about the "Browne people", i.e. Michael Cloud, Carla Howell, Perry Willis, supposed inappropriate involvment in the campaign(s) by LP executive staff, and on and on. Google it, it's still out there. A substantial faction of the LP fears nothing more than success, apparently, and as soon as one of their candidates start raising money and/or getting a little traction they assume something must be wrong and that it will somehow "destroy the party." Anyone who's been around the LP for more than 10 years has been here, done that, over and over again.

Barr or no Barr the LP will live to see another day and another election. All the hysteria surrounding "snubgate" and "GOP takeovers" and such is just so much sideshow distraction. Yeah, he fucked some shit up -- big time -- ESPECIALLY ballot access. But he'll still get more votes than Browne ever did which will HOPEFULLY help us in ballot access going forward. And no matter how you slice it, he IS getting a Libertarian message out there and being a (surprisingly) dedicated advocate for the Libertarian Party, NOT GOP-lite. If anything, his questionable approach to the barely-covered Ron Paul press conference demonstrates his perhaps OVERLY dedicated loyalties to the LP rather than "any-of-the above" third party advocacy.

Anyway.

i hear you but in my eyes the lp/cp and the ron paul movement better find a way to unite or , in 4 yrs we will all be back to square one. I was lp for 12 yrs

i would argue that harry browne has gotten more air time then barr. Hell i find barr on this forum more then i see in the news. i actually saw harry browne on the news many times when he ran. trying to find barr on the tv is like trying to find atlantis.. of course in my eyes electing a liar for the lp candidate will do more harm then good in the long run..... when will barr be on tv and why should i watch a scumbag. I met harry browne(rip) and i have met ron paul , barr is a joke in my eyes and he will desroy the lp from within,. he already did a good job of running me out of the lp and i was planning on rejoining,but for now i will listen to ron paul. the lp/cp are like mccain and obama irrelevant to our movement until they rejoin the party the left...

afmatt
10-14-2008, 07:56 AM

I fail to see how ANY of that is a good argument for voting for the man.

Lets break this down

#1 He will get media attention - How? By offering Ron Paul his VP ticket again to stir up attention? Thats the most attention he's got and it was because he was being an ass\stirring the pot that they covered him at all.

#2 Georgia um ok, good. Go Braves!

#3 Since Barr's party is bigger than the other thirds we should vote for him? That just REEKS, cmon man look at your logic.

#4 FFS stop calling them sheeple. And just because he "appeals" to people doesn't make him a good candidate, hell - Obama appeals to a lot of mainstream people, should we vote for him?

CasualApathy
10-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Can't he just ask for some donations from his buddies in the CIA?

Shotdown1027
10-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Kludge and Brent,

The most succinct history of the LP is probably contained within the most rounded history of the libertarian movement---Radicals for Capitalism by Brian Doherty. And its 600 some-odd pages.

angelatc
10-14-2008, 09:09 AM
I am not sending Barr any money, because he dissed Ron Paul.

FindLiberty
10-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Bob Barr obviously doesnt need ANY MONEY from Ron Paul supporters.. Especially after he dissed Ron Paul for his press conference.... Dont come around here no more Bob Barr... Silly.. He woulda been a shoe in for RPs support too.

+++
Can't he just ask for some donations from his buddies in the CIA?
+++
...when will barr be on tv and why should i watch a scumbag. I met harry browne(rip) and i have met ron paul , barr is a joke in my eyes and he will desroy the lp from within,. he already did a good job of running me out of the lp and i was planning on rejoining,but for now i will listen to ron paul. the lp/cp are like mccain and obama irrelevant to our movement
+++
20/20 hindsight... fun thread goin' here, just wanted to pipe in with a little "reality check" re: the Harry Browne LP campaign(s)... speaking as a nat'l LP delegate (for Browne) in 2000, involved in party since 1996, even supported Badnarik in 04, voting for Barr in 08, blah de blah...

I love Harry Browne. ... hardly got ANY TV coverage, and when he did it was either C-SPAN or 2 minutes on a cable news network of some kind (which happened maybe twice).

+++
It was a direct consequence of the nomination of Michael Badnarik in 2004. WHo was a dark horse, came from no where... and extreme Purist who totally flopped.
When the 2008 convention came around, the purist had less sway with the moderates, who didn't want to repeat the failure of Badnarik, so they swung their votes for Barr.
See, there are three factions in the party. The Purist/Anarchist. The Moderates. And the GOP-Lite. The Swing vote of the moderates usually determine who wins the convention.
+++
Kubby and Ruwart are Purist... Barr was GOP-Lite. The ballots were about 50/50.
It was Root, another GOP-lite, who endorse Barr in the final ballot to swing the votes slightly to Barr.

I'm sad to say, I agree with all the above quotes. Breaking 5% for the LP would be the best I could hope for in 2008. The Liberty message is America's only hope (as our nation circles around the toilet drain).

BTW, there are LOTS of Harry Browne audio clips, shows and articles at his web site www.harrybrowne.org (try Radio Archives at the bottom of the home page).

I gave money to HB and RP and I'll help keep their messages alive. BB just chills me (the LP convention's spawn is responsible for this thread). I will vote for Bob Barr - with only the 5% goal in mind. It's hard to (even want to) sell that 5% goal to undecided voters who are looking for a "winner" and "savior of the world". Just asking people to "Google Ron Paul" makes more sense to me in these hard economic times as we prepare for an ObomiNation.

dr. hfn
10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
bump

jcarcinogen
10-14-2008, 01:37 PM
I am not sending Barr any money, because he dissed Ron Paul.

Same.

Shouldn't this be in the "other candidates" section?

dr. hfn
10-14-2008, 01:46 PM
i guess, but i can't move it

Fields
10-14-2008, 02:01 PM

Radicals for Capitalism: A Freewheeling History of the Modern American Libertarian Movement

by Brian Doherty

http://www.amazon.com/Radicals-Capitalism-Freewheeling-American-Libertarian/dp/1586485725/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224015429&sr=8-1

brandon
10-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Bob Barr? Who's that?

Peace&Freedom
10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Bob Barr? Who's that?

He's the guy that's going to get more votes than Browne or Paul did as the LP Presidential candidate.

He's the guy that (Nader excepted) has raised more money than the other 3rd party candidates.

He's the guy who DIDN'T diss Paul, just disagreed with and backed out of a minor press conference that the entire world of regular voters have already forgotten about---except some short-sighted people here.

He's gotten more real NEWS-oriented, major media coverage than other recent LP candidates (not mostly cable mentions and minor radio interviews). New York Times, et al papers quoted Barr about the bailout vote last week, Browne never got that level of notice.

He's on the ballot in twice as many states as Baldwin.

Just setting the record straight.

torchbearer
10-14-2008, 05:25 PM
He's the guy that's going to get more votes than Browne or Paul did as the LP Presidential candidate.

He's the guy that (Nader excepted) has raised more money than the other 3rd party candidates.

He's the guy who DIDN'T diss Paul, just disagreed with and backed out of a minor press conference that the entire world of regular voters have already forgotten about---except some short-sighted people here.

He's gotten more real NEWS-oriented, major media coverage than other recent LP candidates (not mostly cable mentions and minor radio interviews). New York Times, et al papers quoted Barr about the bailout vote last week, Browne never got that level of notice.

How many states is on the ballot? (serious question, not sarcasm)

gls
10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
How many states is on the ballot? (serious question, not sarcasm)

Barr is on 45 states so far and Baldwin is on 37. There's a good chart here:

http://www.ballot-access.org/ballot-chart.html

TastyWheat
10-14-2008, 06:52 PM
FUCK YA!!!
Well FUCK YOU TOO!!! Now I'm definitely not donating.

dr. hfn
10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
He is asking for help to email letters to media across the nation now, you need to be on the mailing list, help out!

ClockwiseSpark
10-14-2008, 08:43 PM
He is asking for help to email letters to media across the nation now, you need to be on the mailing list, help out!

:rolleyes:

dr. hfn
10-21-2008, 07:50 PM
If you peeps haven't noticed, Bob Barr is getting more and more tv coverage the closer we get to the election. And that is how sheeple get their info.

THE AMISH'S FORGIVENESS IS CHRISTLIKE.

I FORGIVE BOB BARR.

TurtleBurger
10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
If you peeps haven't noticed, Bob Barr is getting more and more tv coverage the closer we get to the election. And that is how sheeple get their info.

I FORGIVE BOB BARR.

I forgive him too for the press conference mess, but I'm still voting for the man endorsed by Dr. Paul.

Paulitician
10-21-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't like Bob Barr because he sounds too much like a Republican. But I suppose he's giving more popularity at least to the Libertarian name (he's not doing much for the Libertarian platform, however), which could be good in the long run.

Ceos
10-22-2008, 12:47 AM

When you tell someone you're going to be there, and you just don't show, how is that not dissing? It was obviously big enough of a probelm to RP to make the decision to endorse baldwin.

So more votes/media coverage makes barr a better candidate over Browne? With that logic, you should just vote McBama.

Barr is all about himself. Seriously, screw barr. I'd rather not vote than to vote for some jackass.

Knightskye
10-22-2008, 01:07 AM

Actually, they raised the price of payphone calls to 50 cents. I remember when they were 35. Not that I paid to make phone calls. I just pushed the "Coin Return" lever to see if there was any change in there. :D

Dr.3D
10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Here is what GOA has to say about Bob Barr.
http://www.goapvf.org/barr.htm

Seems he was a bit slow on the uptake but slowly became converted.

raystone
10-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Bob Barr? Who's that?

no idea

libertarian4321
10-22-2008, 10:54 PM

I FORGIVE BOB BARR.

I don't.

I thought he had pretty questionable libertarian credentials to begin with, but I was willing to hold my nose and vote for him.

Until his antics at the RP presser- not only was it disrespectful, it was STUPID.

Not only will I not be donating to Barr, he won't even get my vote.

This sucks, in my state, all we have on the ballot is an old neocon warmonger, a socialist, and a libertarian (allegedly reformed neocon) with a high level of douchebaggery.

Where is the "NOTA" option?