PDA

View Full Version : From My Daughter's 9th Grade American Civics Text Book...

mconder
10-13-2008, 06:01 PM
From My Daughter's 9th Grade American Civics Text Book:

The 9th Amendment states the people have other rights not guarenteed by the consitution, like "to recieve a free education in public schools."

I told my daughter that her teachers are sick and diluded and that the ninth amendment only guarentees negative rights, not positive rights.

RSLudlum
10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
don't doubt it one bit :(

Does it include FDR's "2nd bill of rights"??

Kotin
10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
people who think they have the right to healthcare and education are akin to bankrobbers..

dannno
10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Can you post the entire quote?

RockEnds
10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
From My Daughter's 9th Grade American Civics Text Book:

The 9th Amendment states the people have other rights not guarenteed by the consitution, like "to recieve a free education in public schools."

I told my daughter that her teachers are sick and diluded and that the ninth amendment only guarentees negative rights, not positive rights.

:eek: This is an extraordinarily frightening thought!

Theocrat
10-13-2008, 06:08 PM
This link (http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/tocs/amendIX.html) might help your daughter in understanding what the 9th Amendment means, among other things.

RSLudlum
10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
isn't it great that when the gov't is giving away "freebies" it usually costs at least 2x the amount the free market could voluntarily provide them for without the use of force! :mad:

mconder
10-13-2008, 06:12 PM
This was under the section in the book called "The Ninth Amendment"

"...these rights (the additional ones granted by the Ninth Amendement) are as important as those that are mentioned in the Constitution. Among these rights are the freedoms to:

*live or travel anywhere in the nation
*work at any job for which we are qualified
*marry and raise a family
*recieve a free education in public schools, and
*join a poliitcal party, a union, and other legal groups

Wouldn't we also retain the right to work at a job for which we are not qualified? Look at Bernake.

RockEnds
10-13-2008, 06:14 PM

"...these rights (the additional ones granted by the Ninth Amendement) are as important as those that are mentioned in the Constitution. Among these rights are the freedoms to:

Wouldn't we also retain the right to work at a job for which we are not qualified? Look at Bernake.

Who is the publisher?

ItsTime
10-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Could that be because blacks were refused the right to public schools?

yongrel
10-13-2008, 06:18 PM
It only gets worse as she gets older. College textbooks are ludicrous.

ItsTime
10-13-2008, 06:19 PM
It only gets worse as she gets older. College textbooks are ludicrous.

Did you take any international relations classes? I use to be a UN lover because of them.

Its not that these people are stupid. It is that they have been taught 1+1=4. Or that you can give the government 5 dollars and get back 6.

mconder
10-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Who is the publisher?

The Publisher is Holt, Rinehart and Winston

The_Orlonater
10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
I go to a public school(Hush, I know... The only private schools are Catholic and the ones that aren't are REALLY expensive) and my Reading teacher told us the same thing.

Heh, but I've also heard statist quotes when I was in Catholic school.

nate895
10-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Did you take any international relations classes? I use to be a UN lover because of them.

Its not that these people are stupid. It is that they have been taught 1+1=4. Or that you can give the government 5 dollars and get back 6.

I hate MUN. I resigned my post as Treasurer last year in absolute disgust after our meet.

RockEnds
10-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Could that be because blacks were refused the right to public schools?

The USSC has never found anything in the 9th amendment. They've been very reluctant to use it.

yongrel
10-13-2008, 06:27 PM

I'm at one of the top IR schools in the country, so the pro-UN sentiments are pervasive through every discipline. My three-hundred level Law & Society class spent a week analyzing "how awesome international organizations are."

It's a bit unpleasant sometimes.

The_Orlonater
10-13-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm at one of the top IR schools in the country, so the pro-UN sentiments are pervasive through every discipline. My three-hundred level Law & Society class spent a week analyzing "how awesome international organizations are."

Please explain. I want to know their arguments.

Shit, highschool is weird. They start them off young.

RockEnds
10-13-2008, 06:30 PM

Wow. My 300 level Law & Society class spent the entire semester reviewing US Supreme Court cases--but that was 15 years ago.

mconder
10-13-2008, 06:36 PM
By the way, my daughter's textbook and teacher do not require they read the actual amendments, just to learn the textbook's interpetation. Nowhere in the textbook are the actual amendments themselves included.

MRoCkEd
10-13-2008, 06:38 PM
If we have a right to healthcare and schooling, certainly we have a right to food.
Why aren't people also supporting socialized food? Don't you know how many people in our country go without food?

I think I'll use that argument now

PS:
My 9th grade teacher actually held a dollar in front of the class and said it used to be backed by gold, but now is backed by nothing and only worth something because people trust it.
Then again, it was a private school...

mconder
10-13-2008, 06:38 PM
The USSC has never found anything in the 9th amendment. They've been very reluctant to use it.

Why would they want to open up that can of worms and bring their supreme reign over the people to an end.

MRoCkEd
10-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah, one of my high school teachers told the class that there was technically no law requiring us to pay the income tax. And in response to the principal's ridiculous assertion that "american liberalism caused 9/11" he said the actual reason terrorists attack us is because we are over there!

These things would be forbidden at a public school. That's for sure.

RSLudlum
10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
PS:
My 9th grade teacher actually held a dollar in front of the class and said it used to be backed by gold, but now is backed by nothing and only worth something because people trust it.
Then again, it was a private school...

It's good to make that statement with a connection to the current housing debacle that was also brought on with 'paper' backing 'paper' backing 'paper'.

I declare no faith in PAPER!!! Why the hell do you think its the 'traditional gift' for 1st anniversaries! ;)

nate895
10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Oh yeah, one of my high school teachers told the class that there was technically no law requiring us to pay the income tax. And in response to the principal's ridiculous assertion that "american liberalism caused 9/11" he said the actual reason terrorists attack us is because we are over there!

These things would be forbidden at a public school. That's for sure.

One of my teachers: "The dollar should be backed by gold, we should have a non-interventionist foreign policy, and the government needs to follow the Constitution."

Principal: (running in from across campus) Children, your teacher will be leaving us for a while.

liberteebell
10-13-2008, 06:51 PM
By the way, my daughter's textbook and teacher do not require they read the actual amendments, just to learn the textbook's interpetation. Nowhere in the textbook are the actual amendments themselves included.

This is true of my 3 children's textbooks, from the very first intro to the Constitution up through high school level government class.

I nearly had apoplexy when my oldest "studied" the Bill of Rights. I'd never read such a tortured and completely incorrect interpretation!!!! My daughter finally told me that she'd learn the real thing later (and she has) but that she had to cough up the info for the test.

Add to that the politically correct social issues that are even in math textbooks these days, and I'd say our kids are getting quite an unhealthy brainwashing.

Bottom line is that you have to homeschool your kids even if you do send them to school during the day to un-do the brainwashing.

RSLudlum
10-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Bottom line is that you have to homeschool your kids even if you do send them to school during the day to un-do the brainwashing.

+1776, it does seem quite daunting when you constantly have to re-educate your children after they come home from their 'schooling'

The_Orlonater
10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
My family are a bunch of social liberal statists.
I homeschool myself, at least on economics and politics.