PDA

View Full Version : 30,000 Felons Illegally Registered to Vote in Florida

FrankRep
10-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Many convicted felons remain on voter rolls, according to Sun Sentinel investigation

Sun Sentinel
October 13, 2008

More than 30,000 Florida felons who by law should have been stripped of their right to vote remain registered to cast ballots in this presidential battleground state, a Sun Sentinel investigation has found.

Many are faithful voters, with at least 4,900 turning out in past elections.

Another 5,600 are not likely to vote Nov. 4 — they're still in prison.

Of the felons who registered with a party, Democrats outnumber Republicans more than two to one.

SOURCE:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-flbfelons1012sboct12,0,3762352.story

Andrew-Austin
10-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Maybe their just people in jail for smoking dope, aka victimless criminals.

Indy4Chng
10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
It's still the law.. change the law... you can't pardon people cause you don't agree with the law. Also I don't think you can get a felony from "using" only "selling".

BTW I agree drugs should not be illegal, but you have two avenues change the law or appeal to the supreme court...

That however... it is reason to allow voter fraud.

dannno
10-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Also I don't think you can get a felony from "using" only "selling".

No, you get a felony for "intent to sell", aka being black and having drugs whilst being in public.

Drug laws are racist.

I say let them vote if they aren't in prison. Most criminals are non-violent drug offenders.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-13-2008, 12:49 PM
It's still the law.. change the law... you can't pardon people cause you don't agree with the law. Also I don't think you can get a felony from "using" only "selling".

Possessing. That's the word you're looking for, and yes it can easily be a felony.

Bruno
10-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Personally, i think criminals should be able to vote. You should still have the right as an American to vote, regardless of the crime.
What if it became a crime to speak out against your government? The jails would be full of those who could not vote for someone who might overturn such laws. A similar argument could be made about those who use illegal drugs and are in jail for their victimless offenses.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
10-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Many convicted felons remain on voter rolls, according to Sun Sentinel investigation

Sun Sentinel
October 13, 2008

More than 30,000 Florida felons who by law should have been stripped of their right to vote remain registered to cast ballots in this presidential battleground state, a Sun Sentinel investigation has found.

Many are faithful voters, with at least 4,900 turning out in past elections.

Another 5,600 are not likely to vote Nov. 4 — they're still in prison.

Of the felons who registered with a party, Democrats outnumber Republicans more than two to one.

SOURCE:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-flbfelons1012sboct12,0,3762352.story

If millions of illegal aliens have to pay Federal income taxes by law, then why can't 30,000 felons illegally vote?

angelatc
10-13-2008, 02:18 PM
That's a state law, not a federal law. I believe that people can get that right restored just by moving to a different state.

I don't think that being convicted of a felony should mean you lose your right to vote.

So while it might technically be illegal for them to vote, it isn't really gaming the system in the same manner that registering dead people and other scams do.

devil21
10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Hmm...I thought only Virginia and Vermont permanently barred felons from voting? Most states only prohibit it while incarcerated or on probation/parole.

It appears that the governor of FL has spearheaded this effort. Also has a chart showing felon voting laws around the country.
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/florida_will_let_felons_vote_/

Poor Writer
10-13-2008, 11:00 PM

The key to the law that bars felons to vote is the date. First added to the Florida constitution in 1868, then amended in 1968?

In the 60's the country looked at felons in the same way they looked at black Americans; "not really human". Of course it was natural to strip them of their rights in 1968.

But let's be honest, this is simply a division of classes. The majority of convicted felons come from lower class or poverty stricken environments. Odds of them voting are slim to none.

Upper class felons that still vote: Scooter Libby- convicted of felony perjury, Bill Clinton- convicted of felony perjury (voted for his wife), and former Detroit mayor Kilpatrick- convicted of felony perjury (plead).

I doubt anyone would question whether or not these felons should vote.

http://www.ticolumn.com

Paulitical Correctness
10-13-2008, 11:39 PM
If felons could vote (assuming votes actually meant something :rolleyes: ), things would be very different. And by different, I mean better.