PDA

View Full Version : gov't funding of big corporations

slothman
10-13-2008, 12:15 AM
I here alot of the fact that corps. are only big because of gov't subsidies.
Or the fact that without the gov'ts regulation we would have more competition.
Can anyone say why this is true?

I would assume the opposite is true.
The only thing keeping large corps from growing even bigger is anti-trusts laws.

AutoDas
10-13-2008, 01:04 AM

The only thing keeping large corps from growing even bigger is anti-trusts laws.

You first have to prove why we need those anti-trust laws.

nickcoons
10-13-2008, 02:47 AM

If corporations don't like anti-trust laws and other regulations, and libertarians want to abolish all regulations, then why don't the biggest corporations (like the media giants of CNN, Fox, NBC, etc) back libertarian candidates during the election cycle?

Large corporations love regulations, even though intuitively you'd think they'd be opposed to them. A small AM radio station down the street from me pays $25,000/year for their FCC license. Can you imagine how many radio stations and other media outlets don't exist because of these types of barriers to entry? Such regulations stifle competition, because they make it extremely difficult for competition can ever enter the market.

But this obsession with regulations is not limited to the media. Chains of restaurants like having to meet government-mandated health codes; hair salons like that their potential competitors are required to be licensed before they can become competitors, attorneys like that only those that have gone through what they have gone through can practice, and the list goes on.