PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana's chameleon voters tint red state purple

torchbearer
10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
(Can we make sure the LAGOP lose what is suppose to be an easy win?)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-12-50stateslouisiana_N.htm

NEW ORLEANS — They're known as the "others."
They're a sizable bloc of registered Louisiana voters — 643,000, at last count — from all walks of life, races, political leanings and economic backgrounds.

On Nov. 4, those voters could potentially help Sen. Barack Obama turn a statistically red state into a blue one when he faces Sen. John McCain in the presidential election.

But it would be a long shot.

"If he were to do it here, that's the place he could do it," Elliott Stonecipher, a political analyst and demographer based in Shreveport, La., said of the "others" voting bloc.

Louisiana's voters classify themselves in one of three ways: Democrat, Republican or "Other Parties." The "others" have been the wild card in past presidential elections. They range in political tastes from libertarian to independent to disillusioned Republican or disgruntled Democrat, Stonecipher said. They're not necessarily undecided, just unattached to a party.

The most recent poll, by American Research Group, shows McCain leading 50% to Obama's 43% in Louisiana. Without the "others," Obama can't win, Stonecipher said. The state has nine electoral votes at stake.

"Something dramatically different has to happen in the race to change the likelihood of McCain winning comfortably here," he said.

Former president Bill Clinton, a Democrat, persuaded enough "others" to vote for him in 1992 and 1996, winning Louisiana both years. But as the so-called Republican revolution spread across the South, Louisiana turned decisively red, helping elect President Bush in 2000 and 2004, Stonecipher said.

The state shifted further right after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, when thousands of largely black, mostly Democratic displaced residents fled to Houston, Atlanta and other cities outside the state, he said.

In Louisiana, issues often play a bigger role than party affiliation. Issues such as rebuilding post-Katrina (and, more recently, Hurricanes Gustav and Ike), the national economy and defense could help decide the presidential race here, said Stephen Crow, a business professor at the University of New Orleans. Crow, 66, said he was raised Democratic but voted Republican throughout the 1980s and '90s.

Disillusioned with both parties, he changed his registration to "other" this summer, though he still leans toward McCain, he said. "I've lost complete faith in both parties," Crow said. On Election Day, "I'm going to go into the booth, hold my nose and vote for McCain."

Sarah Scheidler, 24, a project coordinator for Catholic Charities, a non-profit faith-based group, is also registered as an "other." She said Obama's stand on issues such as the economy, reproductive rights and alternative energy — and his ability to admit when he doesn't know — has swayed her vote toward him.

"He seems to be more sincere," she said. "He seems to be OK with not knowing."

One advantage for Obama could be that U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu, a popular Democratic incumbent from Louisiana, is up for re-election and on the ballot the same day as the presidential election, potentially drawing more Democrats to the polls.

Louisiana's registered voters are not always what they seem, though. Of the state's 2.9 million voters, 1.5 million are registered as Democrats and 729,000 as Republicans, state statistics show. But many of those Democrats have been voting Republican for more than a decade — they just never bothered to change their voting cards, said Wayne Parent, a political science professor at Louisiana State University.

Up until two years ago, Louisiana voters did not have to be registered with a party to vote in that party's primaries, he said.

"Every state in the South voted Republican last time," Parent said. "If you think about the ones that might go Democratic, Louisiana would be about the middle of the pack, not the top."

Deciphering Louisiana's voters is tricky business, even for local politicians. Landrieu won re-election in 2002, at the height of Bush's popularity, despite having Bush campaigning for her opponent, said Scott Schneider, a Landrieu spokesman. Two years later, Sen. David Vitter became the state's first popularly elected Republican U.S. senator.

"Louisiana is different from other states politically," Schneider said. "Democrats are for Republicans, Republicans are for Democrats. They just vote for who they think will be best for that office."

Still, Obama — who has visited Louisiana five times since declaring his run for presidency last year — will need to make serious inroads to sway Louisiana's mostly white, largely conservative electorate. More than race, the main issue Obama will need to overcome in this section of the South is the perception of being too liberal, Stonecipher said.

"Obama's biggest problem here is that he's arguably the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate," he said. "That's the issue in Louisiana — not race."

Razorback Fan
10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
I wish I lived in Louisiana. What a privilege it would be to cast my vote for Ron Paul. Voting for Bob Barr is okay with me, but it just doesn't feel the same.

torchbearer
10-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I wish I lived in Louisiana. What a privilege it would be to cast my vote for Ron Paul. Voting for Bob Barr is okay with me, but it just doesn't feel the same.

The LAGOP sold out for McCain. They wanted a war, and they got one.

torchbearer
10-12-2008, 07:42 PM
McCain had a 15 point lead in Louisiana, its now 7%.
Ron Paul was polling 7% in montana.
As far as I'm concerned, we should be within reach of causing an epic fail for mccain.

nate895
10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
As far as I'm concerned, we should be within reach of causing an epic fail for mccain.

Now if Ron Paul were running and actively convincing people to vote for him, he'd be a contender for sure.

torchbearer
10-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Now if Ron Paul were running and actively convincing people to vote for him, he'd be a contender for sure.

We can do this without Ron. We have to believe in ourselves.

nate895
10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
We can do this without Ron. We have to believe in ourselves.

I'm just saying that he is getting 5%+ without actually running. If he were actively running, he would probably be getting 30% at least, if not 40%.

Sandra
10-12-2008, 08:25 PM
The most recent poll, by American Research Group, shows McCain leading 50% to Obama's 43% in Louisiana. Without the "others," Obama can't win, Stonecipher said. The state has nine electoral votes at stake.

I wonder how long ago that poll was taken. I have seen 0 support among those who would normally vote neo conservative.

Sandra
10-12-2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.americanresearchgroup.com/pres2008/LA08.html

It was over a month ago, Sept 9- 12. McCain has nosedived since.

torchbearer
10-12-2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.americanresearchgroup.com/pres2008/LA08.html

It was over a month ago, Sept 9- 12. McCain has nosedived since.

I got invited to an Obama function for tomorrow night.
I think I've become their new bestest friend in the world.

nate895
10-12-2008, 11:19 PM
In other words, Louisianans like to vote for the winner.

torchbearer
10-12-2008, 11:22 PM
In other words, Louisianans like to vote for the winner.

People in general vote for who they think is going to win... like this is a horse race.

Sandra
10-13-2008, 05:45 AM
I got invited to an Obama function for tomorrow night.
I think I've become their new bestest friend in the world.

In their base! Go, Brent!

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:34 AM
In their base! Go, Brent!

http://protos.dk/public/pictures/protos05/all_your_base.jpg

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 12:05 PM
bump

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 07:46 PM
bump

Sic Semper Tyrannis
10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Just don't turn into a sheep while you're there. :D

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Just don't turn into a sheep while you're there. :D

http://www.atlantainjurylawblog.com/sheep%20dog.jpg

That's me at the bottom. Not my best picture.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
An Obama coordinator kept sending me solicitations for help, and every email ended like this:

CHANGE WE NEED!
YES WE CAN!!!

Virginia A. Colson
Communications Coordinator
Alexandria Field Office
OBAMA / BIDEN CAMPAIGN

Eventually I sent her a response that said simply this:

George Orwell's observation "ideology animates 'the streamlined men who think in slogans and talk in bullets.

She doesn't bother me anymore.

James Madison
10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Sarah Scheidler, 24, a project coordinator for Catholic Charities, a non-profit faith-based group, is also registered as an "other." She said Obama's stand on issues such as the economy, reproductive rights and alternative energy — and his ability to admit when he doesn't know — has swayed her vote toward him.

"He seems to be more sincere," she said. "He seems to be OK with not knowing."

I lol'd at this.

torchbearer
10-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I lol'd at this.

Yeh, at least he is honest about being a complete dumb-ass. McCain is lying about knowing shit.
They could vote for the guy who does know... Dr. Know himself, Ron Paul.

We got to get this commercial playing every 5 minutes.

torchbearer
10-14-2008, 05:02 PM
bump

tonesforjonesbones
10-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Torch..it must make you very proud about your efforts to hand over the election to Obama the communist on a silver platter. You will get what you deserve...8 years of this communist who will take your guns, raise your taxes, impose more social programs and re construct our government ...maybe even make the Constitution more in effective. I hope your little protest makes you happy...but somehow, I don't think you'll be so happy in the long run. tones

torchbearer
10-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Torch..it must make you very proud about your efforts to hand over the election to Obama the communist on a silver platter. You will get what you deserve...8 years of this communist who will take your guns, raise your taxes, impose more social programs and re construct our government ...maybe even make the Constitution more in effective. I hope your little protest makes you happy...but somehow, I don't think you'll be so happy in the long run. tones

And we wouldn't get 8 years of communism with Bailout McCain?
Wake the fuck up.

Sandra
10-14-2008, 07:58 PM

What the hell are you talking about?! Are you not reading these posts at all? Reading your recent posts you are decending into trollhood. Attacking anyone who tries to do anything. Hmmmm.

kombayn
10-14-2008, 08:07 PM

How's campaign for the Paul/Goldwater, Jr. ticket going? Have you come up with any radio ads, tv ads or website ads (Could always advertise on the local tv news-sites, blogs, newspapers, and popular sites visited in the state of Louisiana?). I'm always willing to help & donate a little money to get some of this ads out. I would love to see Ron Paul get 50,000 to 80,000 votes in the two states. If he broke a 100,000 I think it would make news, they would list it as "Ron Paul spoils two electoral races?"