PDA

View Full Version : The Office of President needs a PAY RAISE

IChooseLiberty
10-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Every election season, it seems we are confronted with the same old, tired choice between the douche and the turd sandwich. Why is this? Now I've heard the conspiracy theories and, frankly, I have a hard time taking the invisible hand as fact. I think the reason is much simpler... the job doesn't pay enough to attract the best and the brightest. What is the salary? Like $400,000 if my memory serves me correctly. Thats PEANUTS compared to what can be made in the private sector for much less work and stress.

So, why would a rational, intelligent person run for president when the can be much better off not doing so? That's the thing... I don't think they would.

I'd argue that the office of president is a much more important position than the office of CEO in any major corporation... so shouldn't the compensation match?

What do you think?

AutoDas
10-12-2008, 07:07 PM
That's ridiculous, anyone working for the government should have zero pay because I don't want it to be a career. They should not be doing anything, they are unproductive and leech off the private sector.

FindLiberty
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Worth a try. Raise POTUS salary to $1,000,000 or reduce it to ZERO.

Either way, then maybe we can finally get some decent people into office.

Truth Warrior
10-12-2008, 07:12 PM
It IS kind of embarrassing. Folks spending $100+ million each to win a lousy $400K per year job. :D Though I do understand that the perks and benefits are pretty nice. ;)

satchelmcqueen
10-12-2008, 07:51 PM
i say zero pay. they make a killing anyway off of speeches and special appearances.

KevinR
10-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Give them a set pay of like 1M, and any deficits come out of their pay, down to 0 :]

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Every election season, it seems we are confronted with the same old, tired choice between the douche and the turd sandwich. Why is this? Now I've heard the conspiracy theories and, frankly, I have a hard time taking the invisible hand as fact. I think the reason is much simpler... the job doesn't pay enough to attract the best and the brightest. What is the salary? Like $400,000 if my memory serves me correctly. Thats PEANUTS compared to what can be made in the private sector for much less work and stress.

So, why would a rational, intelligent person run for president when the can be much better off not doing so? That's the thing... I don't think they would.

I'd argue that the office of president is a much more important position than the office of CEO in any major corporation... so shouldn't the compensation match?

What do you think?

Seriously? You think that's all they make? You think hundreds of millions of dollars are spent to get a job that makes 400k?

I don't know what to say.

dr. hfn
10-13-2008, 06:30 PM
In New Hampshire, home of the Free State Project, the State legislators only get $100 a year.

This makes sure they are in it to serve the people

sevin
10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Bush is in the pockets of the Banksters. He makes a LOT more than $400,000 a year.

TastyWheat
10-13-2008, 09:09 PM
The president and every member of congress earns way too much. Considering all of the fringe benefits they get (not even talking about money under the table) almost all of their salary goes to discretionary (non-essential) spending. I would actually go as far as saying that every elected official should have their assets frozen while in office.

James Madison
10-13-2008, 09:20 PM
It IS kind of embarrassing. Folks spending $100+ million each to win a lousy $400K per year job. :D Though I do understand that the perks and benefits are pretty nice. ;)

Like what? Getting a bj from a mildly-attractive at best white house secretary?:D

haaaylee
10-14-2008, 02:40 PM
seriously? increasing the pay will bring in better people? uhhhhh.... pay zero and you'll bring in good people , the bad people won't see any benefits, except maybe power. to increase pay is to increase the possibility of greedy bastards who want power and lots and lots of money.

angelatc
10-14-2008, 02:44 PM

What do you think?

Because it isn't about the money. Study after study shows that money is not the main reason that people take a job, stay at a job, or leave a job. The president's job isn't any different.

It isn't about the money. It's about the power.

mediahasyou
10-14-2008, 04:21 PM
The Pres serves me, not the other way around. $0.

IChooseLiberty
10-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Because it isn't about the money. Study after study shows that money is not the main reason that people take a job, stay at a job, or leave a job. The president's job isn't any different.

It isn't about the money. It's about the power.

Precisely my point.

What are we trying to attract? An Entrepreneur or a Megalomaniac?

By making the acquisition of power the goal of attaining the office, we invite mostly megalomaniacs.

mediahasyou
10-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Precisely my point.

What are we trying to attract? An Entrepreneur or a Megalomaniac?

By making the acquisition of power the goal of attaining the office, we invite mostly megalomaniacs.

Taxation is Theft. Thus, presidents are funded by theft.
http://www.voluntaryist.com/taxation/letter_exchange.php

Cowlesy
10-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Why?

Power.

Theocrat
10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
The Office of President needs to raise pay. After all, isn't the President suppose to take care of us in the economy by ensuring "the wealth is spread around?" Aren't we suppose to just relax and "go shopping" while the President brings us more "good paying" jobs? Doesn't the President need to regulate those greedy corporations who are making all those selfish profits, and make them raise wages for their workers instead? :rolleyes: