PDA

View Full Version : Online Poll: Vote for Bob Barr

Dan Chisholm
10-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Add a little showing in an AOL straw poll, anyone?
http://news.aol.com/political-machine/straw-poll

Razorback Fan
10-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I voted for Barr in that poll.

Now, here's what I don't understand: Libertarians usually do quite well (unrealistically well) in online polls. So why is Barr at 1% in this one? I can think of two possible reasons:

1. AOL attracts losers. (Could be.)

2. Barr's campaign has utterly tanked. (Could be.)

Hamer
10-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Now, here's what I don't understand: Libertarians usually do quite well (unrealistically well) in online polls. So why is Barr at 1% in this one? I can think of two possible reasons:

I would say #2 is the correct answer.

Razorback Fan
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I suspect it's true, but I don't understand why. He's got name recognition. He gets quite a bit of MSM coverage (I mean compared to the typical LP candidate). And he seemed to be dragging along a lot of right-wingers who supported him before he started carrying the Libertarian banner.

Now, I know he lost a TON of Ron Paul supporters when he dodged the third-party press conference, but still, going from 6% support nationally (according to Zogby) back down to the sub-1% that is typical of an LP presidential candidate would be an incredible nosedive.

powerofreason
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM

ironically he's done pretty well on the fundraising since the bailout. not saying im a big fan.

powerofreason
10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
I suspect it's true, but I don't understand why. He's got name recognition. He gets quite a bit of MSM coverage (I mean compared to the typical LP candidate). And he seemed to be dragging along a lot of right-wingers who supported him before he started carrying the Libertarian banner.

Now, I know he lost a TON of Ron Paul supporters when he dodged the third-party press conference, but still, going from 6% support nationally (according to Zogby) back down to the sub-1% that is typical of an LP presidential candidate would be an incredible nosedive.

I hope you're not taking the aol poll seriously?

Kludge
10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
AOL is for really old people who don't want to pay no danged $39.95 to check their email and surf the internets.

Razorback Fan
10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I hope you're not taking the aol poll seriously?

More accurately, I'm wonder whether to take it seriously. I know it's not accurate, but I wonder if anything useful can be read into the results.

BarryDonegan
10-12-2008, 07:02 PM
tbh, barr does well with older people.

i do know quite a few of my lifetime republican older family members who are voting for him, and i never talked to them about him. they have finally given out on the republican party due to mccain, and have an easy time voting for barr, i suppose, because they remember him going toe-to-toe with clinton.

powerofreason
10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
More accurately, I'm wonder whether to take it seriously. I know it's not accurate, but I wonder if anything useful can be read into the results.

I'd say no.

powerofreason
10-12-2008, 07:04 PM
AOL is for really old people who don't want to pay no danged $39.95 to check their email and surf the internets.

If you're paying that you're getting ripped off lol.

Kludge
10-12-2008, 07:08 PM
If you're paying that you're getting ripped off lol.

Pffff, not when you're getting 20 mbps upload speed.

powerofreason
10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Pffff, not when you're getting 20 mbps upload speed.

Dunno what you need that for, unless you're running a webserver off your computer. I did that once. 30 KB upload so it was kinda slow :p

Andrew-Austin
10-12-2008, 07:33 PM
tbh, barr does well with older people.

Barr does not do well with the stereotypical image of old people that exists in my brain.

i do know quite a few of my lifetime republican older family members who are voting for him, and i never talked to them about him. they have finally given out on the republican party due to mccain, and have an easy time voting for barr, i suppose, because they remember him going toe-to-toe with clinton.

Ah, there we go. Now your post makes sense.

nobody's_hero
10-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't put much faith in these aol polls.

Well, not since I discovered that you can clear your internet cookies and vote again.

I wonder how many other people know that and skew the results.

EDIT: well, at least now they ask for your screen name.