PDA

View Full Version : The Great Tomato Bubble (an allegory for newbies)

max
10-12-2008, 01:39 PM
www.tomatobubble.com

MikeStanart
10-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Excellent explaination!

I'm e-mailing this to a few peeps.

Original_Intent
10-12-2008, 01:50 PM
yep, very clear good write up.

Anti Federalist
10-12-2008, 01:53 PM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w262/gator_momma/Applause.gif

Well done!

Max is waxing philosophic today.

I'm lifting that and re-posting to bunch of other forums I frequent. (with proper credit of course);)

max
10-12-2008, 01:57 PM
there were typos in the original that i just corrected....use the current version

Anti Federalist
10-12-2008, 02:03 PM
there were typos in the original that i just corrected....use the current version

LOL - already corrected.

Paul4Prez
10-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Good story, but you forgot the part where you announce that one-tomato notes are no longer redeemable in tomatoes, and the part where you outlaw private ownership of tomatoes when people start hoarding them.

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for that !

max
10-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Good story, but you forgot the part where you announce that one-tomato notes are no longer redeemable in tomatoes, and the part where you outlaw private ownership of tomatoes when people start hoarding them.

lol...yeah...i could have some real fun with this....

i wish i could draw...i could make comic book economics

max
10-12-2008, 02:42 PM
updated version....added a few more lines.

OferNave
10-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh my god, that's amazing. You just summarized the entire last 100 years perfectly in 1-2 pages.

Don't add any more, don't make it longer or hard to read. Just post it somewhere with a permanent, easy to understand URL so we can start so spread it.

And lastly, thanks - you rule.

OferNave
10-12-2008, 04:38 PM
In fact, if someone wants to register thegreattomatobubble.com or something like that, I can host a one-page website on my server, and you can point the domain to it.

sevin
10-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Great story! Over the next few years, people will need things like this to make the situation clear.

max
10-12-2008, 04:52 PM
In fact, if someone wants to register thegreattomatobubble.com or something like that, I can host a one-page website on my server, and you can point the domain to it.

great idea....people need something simple like this because they get so easily confused with this subject...

let's set it up and make it go superviral...maybe add a link to cfl

what do u think?

OferNave
10-12-2008, 05:03 PM
great idea....people need something simple like this because they get so easily confused with this subject...

let's set it up and make it go superviral...maybe add a link to cfl

what do u think?

I thought I already told you what I think. :)

Yes, superviral is the goal, and it's not impossible.

Who will take action on this?

max
10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I thought I already told you what I think. :)

Yes, superviral is the goal, and it's not impossible.

Who will take action on this?

website domain registered! I will have the website up by tomorrow night.

www.tomatobubble.com coming soon

homepage will feature the story with some cartoon images and a big tomato....other pages will link to more in depth educational videos, articles, and reading list...and of course...CFL, Daily Paul and RP Forums

the hook is this simple "idiot proof" story that ANYONE can understand....lets make this site viral...hook people in with a simple story instead of preaching Austrian theory off the bat that will turn them off..

stay tuned....thanks for the idea of a website....

liberteebell
10-12-2008, 05:28 PM
You wrote this max????? Excellent! Thank you! :D:cool::D

OferNave
10-12-2008, 05:37 PM
website domain registered! I will have the website up by tomorrow night.

www.tomatobubble.com coming soon

homepage will feature the story with some cartoon images and a big tomato....other pages will link to more in depth educational videos, articles, and reading list...and of course...CFL, Daily Paul and RP Forums

the hook is this simple "idiot proof" story that ANYONE can understand....lets make this site viral...hook people in with a simple story instead of preaching Austrian theory off the bat that will turn them off..

stay tuned....thanks for the idea of a website....

Don't thank *me*. You wrote the story, and now you're building the website. All I did was say "hey, build a website". :)

max
10-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Don't thank *me*. You wrote the story, and now you're building the website. All I did was say "hey, build a website". :)

lol....i know...but if you didnt mention it i would not have thought of it...

i think this could become a very useful site for reaching out to the bewildered masses in an easy to understand way

ShowMeLiberty
10-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Great idea, guys! Looking forward to the web site. :)

Paulitical Correctness
10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
For optimal results, wouldn't it be better to cut the last part out? A little too "conspiracy-ish" for average joe.

the biss
10-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Excellent! Wifey and I enjoyed the read very much. Beautiful allegory. I have posted it to another forum I frequent.

OferNave
10-12-2008, 07:02 PM
For optimal results, wouldn't it be better to cut the last part out? A little too "conspiracy-ish" for average joe.

No, leave it in. People need to wake up to reality.

max
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM

i think it time we were upfront about the conspiratorial part of this. When Shit hits the fan, angry people finally become ready to hear the truth.

USA is on life support, so the time for tactical sugar coating has past.

liberteebell
10-12-2008, 07:12 PM
i think it time we were upfront about the conspiratorial part of this. When Shit hits the fan, angry people finally become ready to hear the truth.

USA is on life support, so the time for tactical sugar coating has past.

+2008

Maybe the next time Truth is spoken, they'll listen.

Chester Copperpot
10-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Very good everybody... Good idea.. I cant wait to post this on some boards.. but ill wait for the website..

Max, next time I see ya lemme buy ya a drink.. even if its just ginger ale. heh

max
10-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Very good everybody... Good idea.. I cant wait to post this on some boards.. but ill wait for the website..

Max, next time I see ya lemme buy ya a drink.. even if its just ginger ale. heh

hey...we're both in jersey so i will definitely take you up on that! Throw in a burger too ok?

Chester Copperpot
10-12-2008, 07:28 PM
hey...we're both in jersey so i will definitely take you up on that! Throw in a burger too ok?

you got it. Just bring Heidi too! hah

max
10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
you got it. Just bring Heidi too! hah

it sucks that heidi had to be married. she's a cutie eh?

dannno
10-12-2008, 08:00 PM

That's ruining the point of the entire story.. people who question the monetary system or the Fed are labeled as "conspiracy theorists" and everybody keeps turning to the wrong people for answers.

No1ButPaul08
10-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Great story Max. I do see one problem though. The first injection of 500 notes doesn't really make any sense. Most people recognize that someone has to lose at a poker table and that everyone can't magically win 10 times what they started with, especially with a one night 5 person game. Hardly anyone would fall for that, especially your avg. poker player. Perhaps it could be changed to a never ending poker game from the start which consistently released 10x notes to tomatoes in reserve.

Looking at the story, it would take some consideriable changes to change this one thing, I just find the original injection hard to believe. Remember, bankers are secret and sly, and wouldn't pull such a blatant stunt to start their operation. The rest of the story is perfect and well written.

mport1
10-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Great story max.

Paulitical Correctness
10-13-2008, 02:48 PM
bump.

Chester Copperpot
10-13-2008, 08:55 PM
bump

Knightskye
10-13-2008, 09:03 PM
I didn't get it.

Think I'd prefer an explanation by John Stossel.

OferNave
10-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Any updates?

max
10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Any updates?

it's up! www.tomatobubble.com

OferNave
10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow, max. You really went above and beyond the call of duty with that website.

Digg it!

http://digg.com/political_opinion/The_Great_Tomato_Bubble

dannno
10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Wow, max. You really went above and beyond the call of duty with that website.

Digg it!

http://digg.com/political_opinion/The_Great_Tomato_Bubble

bump

mport1
11-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Why does this now cost money to read the whole story and access areas of the site? If there is a money issue with keeping it up lets just raise some funds for the site. This information needs to be free for everyone.

voytechs
11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Is that how dollars work?

http://eppsnet.com/images/omg-wtf.jpg

Elwar
11-24-2008, 11:04 AM
You might want to ad that every time you inject money into the game you get an unfair advantage so not only do you win by getting out early, you should end up with more winnings starting out.

I like the clam analogy that someone wrote up here. You're on an island where everyone deals in clams as money. One guy has access to a clam pit so he injects extra clams into the economy. He buys a pie for one clam, loaf of bread for one clam, milk for one bread etc...but by injecting the extra clams the prices go up to 2 clams a piece. He gets the goods before the prices go up (pre-inflation) giving him an unfair advantage over everyone else.

mport1
11-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Bump, again why is there a fee now?

escapinggreatly
11-24-2008, 10:23 PM
So all the smart economic minds that haven't been in on this over the years just happily went along with it because....?

http://www.meltingpotproject.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/22/libertariansig.jpg
The Melting Pot Project: Proportional Representation. New Parties. Intern Jokes. (http://www.meltingpotproject.com/)

Jordan
11-24-2008, 11:51 PM
So why does it cost $6.50 for access now?

tremendoustie
11-25-2008, 12:27 AM
So why does it cost $6.50 for access now?

Seriously, I helped at least a bit with the development of the story, and it was for educational purposes, not to make money.

eOs
11-25-2008, 04:06 AM
Great story but uh, the website is a little tacky. And a fee? What a scam..

mport1
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Seriously, I helped at least a bit with the development of the story, and it was for educational purposes, not to make money.

+1