PDA

View Full Version : Gallup: Nader down to 2%, Barr & McKinney hold at 1%, Baldwin *

Bradley in DC
10-12-2008, 12:13 AM
http://www.gallup.com/poll/111079/ThirdParty-Candidates-Receiving-Only-Minimal-Support.aspx

angelatc
10-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Man! IT just seems so ripe for a third party. I can't believe nobody is gaining any traction....sigh.

Lovecraftian4Paul
10-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Man! IT just seems so ripe for a third party. I can't believe nobody is gaining any traction....sigh.

It should have been this year. I think the two parties are just so good at demonizing each other to the point where nearly everyone wants to vote for one of main candidates out of mortal fear of the other that third parties have been brushed aside again. It looks like negative campaigning works well for them. Also, Ron Paul's sensational campaign created some burnout in our own ranks...while we were unable to rally around a single third party candidate.

Really, though, I think only Ron Paul or Nader (under different circumstances) would have made any type of splash as a third party candidate in this cycle. Nader would be doing better if Hillary were the Dem's nominee.

nate895
10-12-2008, 01:16 PM
It takes money for a third party to get into the debates, and it takes getting into the debates to win. The problem this year was that only Ron Paul could have financed a run for the White House using public contributions, and he did not run. Bloomberg could have run a well-financed campaign, but he couldn't have won.

hypnagogue
10-13-2008, 12:01 AM
May I suggest that the third party candidates are all pretty crappy? Just because they're not as crappy as the republocrats doesn't mean they're good enough to get people over the hurdle of "voting for a loser."

muh_roads
10-13-2008, 12:29 AM
It takes money for a third party to get into the debates, and it takes getting into the debates to win. The problem this year was that only Ron Paul could have financed a run for the White House using public contributions, and he did not run. Bloomberg could have run a well-financed campaign, but he couldn't have won.

No it takes more than money now. Perot had the money but he was excluded in 1996. Paul & Ventura mentioned something about this and it has something to do with the league of women voters and whatever it was Clinton & Dole signed on to.

Somebody needs to educate me more on this.

Captain Bryan
10-13-2008, 03:25 AM
No it takes more than money now. Perot had the money but he was excluded in 1996. Paul & Ventura mentioned something about this and it has something to do with the league of women voters and whatever it was Clinton & Dole signed on to.

Somebody needs to educate me more on this.That's basically it.
I think the League of Women Voters used to do the debates, and then another organization got control of them. I believe that organization is run by two former leaders of the Dem & Republican parties.:confused:

Lovecraftian4Paul
10-13-2008, 05:32 AM

Somebody needs to educate me more on this.

Frankly, I think the Party attached onto Perot in 1996 dragged him down as well. He was an independent in 1992, and ran on his newly created Reform Party in 1996. There was heavy infighting within it from the beginning, and it only grew worse after the election. I imagine an incumbent President also hurt Perot's campaign. It seems more difficult for third parties all around in years when the sitting President is gunning for a second term. Just look at the hysteria last time when everyone was voting either against Bush or against Kerry...all third party candidates combine didn't even break 1%.

nobody's_hero
10-13-2008, 06:59 AM
The drop shows that we are probably about to start losing our sunshine patriots.

Oh well, I'm proud to be among the 1–2%'ers.

hillbilly123069
10-13-2008, 09:28 AM
You cannot believe ANY corporate owned poll.