PDA

View Full Version : Taxpayers Walkout Day - Bailout protest

2BFree
10-11-2008, 11:47 PM
What could we really do to express our displeasure with the financial crisis and bailout? Really send a message - something that might actually work, get the attention this issue deserves, break no laws and hurt no one in the process. I have mulled this over for a while.

Not paying taxes is not going to get the desired effect. First, not enough of your countrymen have the courage to follow suit and many, if not most, will see this simply as you shirking your payment of your fair share.

What would work in my opinion, and would get the co-operation and participation of most, along with the desired attention, would be a nation-wide strike - sick-out - whatever we want to call it.

We would need to declare it and publicize heavily - this would let those in Washington know of our resolve, and everyone could/would support it...and those that don't would take the day off anyway...magnify our numbers.

How about Monday Oct. 27?

Pauls' Revere
10-12-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm all for a National Strike! or General Strike I think they call it.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=159110&highlight=Time+national+strike%3F

2BFree
10-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the link Pauls' Revere...

I used taxpayer in my title - but taxes, Bush, the war etc. should not be the issues. To garner the broadest support, IMHO it would be better to limit the scope of the protest to the bailout issue and the accountability of our elected officials of all parties.

cheapseats
10-12-2008, 04:57 AM
I quite agree that a dramatic display of solidarity is required to give the Players a heads-up that We The People are not without power.

But observe Labor's quickness to punish itself in order to punish the offender, and know that despondence plays into Robber Baron plots. There are plenty of American workers who would get canned for a No Show and plenty more who simply wouldn't get paid...think, rioting in your own neighborhood. Then, between the worsening of the economy and the heightening of authority, this is a particularly bad time to play hooky.

It MAY be necessary for the People to strike, but first give the old blue collar try to impacting their bottom line WITHOUT it. Better that everyone should boycott the same spending than that everyone should have less to spend, if possible.

Pauls' Revere
10-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I quite agree that a dramatic display of solidarity is required to give the Players a heads-up that We The People are not without power.

But observe Labor's quickness to punish itself in order to punish the offender, and know that despondence plays into Robber Baron plots. There are plenty of American workers who would get canned for a No Show and plenty more who simply wouldn't get paid...think, rioting in your own neighborhood. Then, between the worsening of the economy and the heightening of authority, this is a particularly bad time to play hooky.

It MAY be necessary for the People to strike, but first give the old blue collar try to impacting their bottom line WITHOUT it. Better that everyone should boycott the same spending than that everyone should have less to spend, if possible.

The government collects taxes each paycheck. So as far as I see it each payday is the 15th of April. I see your point and it is valid, just how would people get through a strike when they live paycheck to paycheck anyway (strike duration). However, as one poster stated a single day in unity would be a great show of strength! and give congress and the senate a heads up. I think even Joe Q. Public could handle a single day to show soladarity towards tax freedom. Heck, they wouldn't even have to get off the couch. btw a "sick out" is legal...your employer should not be asking why your sick. "I'm sick" is all you have to say.

A. Havnes
10-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Even better is that the media would actually cover it! If taxpayers regardless of their political affiliations do this, they can't label anyone as simply being a Paultard or nutcase. Everyone already knows the majority of this country is against the bailouts anyway!

STRIKE!

thehighwaymanq
10-13-2008, 05:26 PM
I wanna strike!
I wanna strike!
I wanna strike!

Nationwide
10-13-2008, 07:13 PM
YES! Taxpayer Walkout/ Bailout protest/ Strike whatever you wanna call it, name the day and I'm there, bringing my outrage with me. :mad:

qh4dotcom
10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
If you don't want to pay taxes, there is a legal way to do it....earn a poor man's salary and live off your savings.

That's what the wealthy should be doing....Obama would be screwed if the wealthy started to rely more on their bank account and earned less money since he's counting on their 50%+ taxes for all his extravagant spending.

cheapseats
10-14-2008, 05:33 AM
The government collects taxes each paycheck.

A reasonable mind will suppose that INFORMED Labor will quickly increase the number of dependents on which their withholdings are based.

A reasonable mind will also suppose that crafty minds will have anticipated that. What ELSE do they have up their sleeves, that is the question. If it is "only" to isolate which of us are self-serving, the more who DO exercise their self-interest, the merrier. They are ready-one-might-say-eager to arrest the Few but, I don't care what their creepy detention capacity has reached, they can't AFFORD to lock up millions of people. Unless they would have the whole world watch as they let dissidents, debtors, and tax evaders starve to death in hardship prisons.

Speaking of tax evasion, Loop Hole LaLa Land is on my list of grievances. Y'know that half-million dollar AIG Getaway? They write shit like that off all the time.

I do not urge Americans to pursue a particular tax strategy, that is not my place. Besides, I could get in trouble for that...and thrown into a detention center...never to be seen or heard from again.

It IS my place to urge my countrymen to be brave, and to hide in plain sight. It is OBVIOUS that our government has run amok and that it is using force to compel us to tow their power-crazed, cash-infused line. They might as well be crashing into living rooms brandishing weapons, “Your money or your freedom!”

It IS my place to encourage my countrymen to resist the temptation to comply with Wrong in order to save their own skins. It IS my place to bear witness and to testify. Unless or until jack-booted paramilitary forcibly disabuse me of the idea, I AM still free to speak my Truth.

I have advised my representatives that passage of this legislation is a Deal Breaker. I am on record as demanding a Redress of Grievances prior to determination of what, if any, taxes I owe. I am on record as requiring advice on the protocol to obtain a Redress of Grievances, stipulating that no just government can oblige me unto back-breaking legal expense.

It is LUNACY that I should send into the unabashed MONEY PIT of Washington the funds that I need to pay my way in the world and hopefully grow a business. It is like something out of a Dickens novel...with the poor giving their last tuppence in taxes.

I recently traveled to Philadelphia where I discovered that Benjamin Franklin’s home and print shop were torn down after Benjamin Franklin’s heirs, unable to pay the taxes and upkeep thereon, sold the landmarks to someone without historical sensibilities. We are pitiful.

My government stands apprised that, until such time as my grievances are redressed, I shall pay only sales tax and the $800 minimum corporate tax that affords my fledgling online publishing company the advantages and protections of commercial law. The extension of the filing date for corporate taxes to October 15 is automatic, for instance…who knew?

If I make money, my corporate tax bill will increase…but that's not this year's story. That wasn't last year's story, either. My country makes it clear that I am entirely on my own…my government is blind and deaf to me…and then my government would COMPEL me to “invest” my limited funds into schemes that will afford benefits only to others, themselves included? What the hell kind of a deal is that?

I am on record that they will have to kill me to shut me up.

I am on record as being an essentially peaceable person the quality of whose every single day is undermined by the brutality and chicanery of my own government. I am a Conscientious Objector. I am an American Dissident. I am NOT a Terrorist, and my government has no cause to harass, impede or incarcerate me. I am a MUCH better citizen than my government is a ruling body, that’s for sure.

The Powers That Be, some of whom belong in jail, know exactly where I am. They know and I know…and they know I know…that they can take me out anytime they want. But I speak Social Moderation and Economic Reason at a time when it wouldn’t take hardly any effort at all to whip the Disenfranchised into a frightful and unruly mob. LOOK at the size of Obama’s crowds, and know that the Powers That Be are ALSO afraid.

I am on record as continually sending copies of my writings and notes, the outlines of projects and the information on which they are based, to several parties who have been instructed on how to publish and promote them should my demise be sudden or strange. Don't do it for me, I say, do it for the money.

Certain letters and pieces I also send to myself, to remain sealed with a telling postmark until such time as who said what when may come into question.

What more can I do? I am sick and tired of being afraid and victimized.

Enough. Not “bring it on,” a la arrogant George Bush…I don’t want trouble. But trouble is upon us and worsening…more like, “do whatcha gotta do.”

So as far as I see it each payday is the 15th of April.

Like I say, a reasonable mind would expect workers en mass to up the number of their deductions. Tengo muchos ninos.

I see your point and it is valid, just how would people get through a strike when they live paycheck to paycheck anyway (strike duration).

Yeah boy, that's where ya want 'em. Up against the ropes is a punch or two away from down for the count. Okay, okay, UNCLE...lemme up, I’ll give ya whatever ya want.

Good man, report to the Minister of Life Assignments.

However, as one poster stated a single day in unity would be a great show of strength! and give congress and the senate a heads up.

No question. It'd be a longer lasting heads up if half a dozen Mega Corporations posted drops in revenue, without the industry reporting losses. If you single out specific businesses within industries, one's loss is another's gain. The gainers will absorb any displaced labor from the losers. Exxon Mobil, say, among Big Oil. McDonald's, say, among Fast Food. Starbucks, because it ordered new espresso machines for their entire chain NOT from an American manufacturer and because, in reaction to business downturn, it does not lower prices but instead introduces gimmick giveaways in tandem with FERRARI. Seven-eleven, among Convenience Stores…how did THAT cash cow become the purview of Indians?

Isolate one from every herd that is running roughshod over the consuming, taxpaying public. It is fantastic to contemplate Americans deserting one insurance company…it’s not like another company isn’t delighted to gain the policy…there is no honor among thieves. Divide and conquer. It’s what they have done to the people, with each individual now scrambling for himself while They still prowl in the safety of their packs…flying over the country, to rendezvous in secure and well-appointed Destination Spots.

I think even Joe Q. Public could handle a single day

I think you would be disheartened to know how many can NOT afford the loss of a day's wages. What of a second day, and a third? No matter how dramatic a one-day strike, it is yesterday's news tomorrow. We are like Hummingbirds, flitting from one outrage to another. We are already trivializing the AIG Retreat...those executives should pay that money back into taxpayer coffers out of their own friggin' pockets.

to show soladarity towards tax freedom.

Toward solidarity. Taxes are a symptom, not the disease.

Bigger picture, I am inclined to say that American Labor would fare better with a Labor Party than with specialty unions.