PDA

View Full Version : Land in Montana?

pooflinger1488
10-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Anyone looking at buying cheap land in Montana by any chance? Ive heard this idea thrown around in case of the collapse? Can food even be grown in Montana because of the weather? Even if the economy doesn't collapse, it seems like a fun vacation place!

Brian
10-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Anyone looking at buying cheap land in Montana by any chance? Ive heard this idea thrown around in case of the collapse? Can food even be grown in Montana because of the weather? Even if the economy doesn't collapse, it seems like a fun vacation place!

What are your thoughts?

jcarcinogen
10-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Rough winters I'd suspect. It's actually 'in the middle of nowhere'. But I've never been there but like the freedom ideology the people seem to have. Check craigslist.

Texan4Life
10-11-2008, 05:10 PM
But I've never been there but like the freedom ideology the people seem to have.

I've always had a soft spot for montana and if I ever have the money would like to get 1000 or so acres in western montana.

Though.. I love Texas (dont know if I could leave). Maybe there is a few spots east(west sucks balls) of I35 that you can still get 1000 acres without a bunch of roads breaking it all up.

why 1000? well I grew up on 250 and that seems small :)

...I can dream anyway......

constitutional
10-11-2008, 05:45 PM
It does seem like a beautiful place to retire. Click to enlarge.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:a3Rl-FXPLwF1QM:http://www.northwestmontana.com/aGlacierNationalParkNorthwestMontana.JPG/aGlacierNationalParkNorthwestMontana-full%3Binit:.JPG (http://www.northwestmontana.com/aGlacierNationalParkNorthwestMontana.JPG/aGlacierNationalParkNorthwestMontana-full;init:.JPG)

constitutional
10-11-2008, 05:47 PM
I've always had a soft spot for montana and if I ever have the money would like to get 1000 or so acres in western montana.

Though.. I love Texas (dont know if I could leave). Maybe there is a few spots east(west sucks balls) of I35 that you can still get 1000 acres without a bunch of roads breaking it all up.

what you plan to do with 1000 acres?

Texan4Life
10-11-2008, 06:03 PM
what you plan to do with 1000 acres?

nothing serious probably mostly wooded. maybe a hundred or 2 in hay.

tpreitzel
10-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Would you like to see what Montana looks like this very second? ;)

The windows are all fogged so I'll have to pass and I don't feel like venturing outside. :p

Last, but not least, it's all white outside and supposed to continue into Monday which will be about 3 continuous days. The total snow accumulation is expected to be about a foot over this weekend. Since the temperature is hovering around freezing, the snow is continuing to melt during the daylight hours. Although, some organizations are predicting a severe winter over parts of the US due to the lack of sunspots, we'll just have to wait and see how Montana fares.. Montana isn't a bad state at all. Billings now has a population over 100,000 and continues good growth.

constitutional
10-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Would you like to see what Montana looks like this very second? ;)

The windows are all fogged so I'll have to pass and I don't feel like venturing outside. :p

Last, but not least, it's all white outside and supposed to continue into Monday which will be about 3 continuous days. The total snow accumulation is expected to be about a foot over this weekend. Since the temperature is hovering around freezing, the snow is continuing to melt during the daylight hours. Although, some organizations are predicting a severe winter over parts of the US due to the lack of sunspots, we'll just have to wait and see how Montana fares.. Montana isn't a bad state at all. Billings now has a population over 100,000 and continues good growth.

It's beautiful, I envy you.

Dianne
10-11-2008, 06:45 PM
My husband and I are kicking the idea around as well. As soon as I heard Ron Paul was still on the Presidential ballot; well that was enough for me :)) .

Let me know if you find some good deals there.

jabrownie
10-11-2008, 06:55 PM

You can grow food year round even in cold climates with something called hydroponics. Can also use a combined system called aquaponics which combines fish aqua culture with hydroponics to form a symbiotic system that will let you get both your meat and fruits/vegies all with one system in a remarkably small space.

Redmenace
10-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Eastern Montana is mostly prairie, good for cattle and sheep. Western Montana is mountainous but farming is good here. We have wheat, barely and corn farmers. The shores of Flathead lake are covered in cherry orchards and even a few wineries. In the Flathead valley there are mint farms too.

The winters in western Montana aren't very bad at all, the mountains provide good insulation against the winds and because the humidity is low the cold isn't bad at all. We do get a good deal of snow, but that only makes the skiing better.

dr. hfn
10-11-2008, 07:41 PM
where and what is that picture of?

UnReconstructed
10-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I'd like to get to Montana too. I like what the FSP is doing but somehow... I think that Montana is going to secede first.

Terces
10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I always said if I move I'm going to always head south (where it is warmer) but Montana would be the one state where I'd go north.

Ninja Homer
10-11-2008, 09:23 PM
I just posted this in another thread this morning:

It would be so easy to take over Montana. It's a huge state with a population of only around a million.

It would be a much better state than New Hampshire for the Free State Project, IMHO. It borders Canada. It has a diverse climate and geography. It has palladium, platinum, gold, silver, copper, oil, and coal. They're already pretty libertarian. They have lots of farm land. If SHTF, there's plenty of mountains to hide out in.

I'd guess that 25,000 or so active RP supporters living in Montana could educate enough people to make it a libertarian state within 2 years.

UnReconstructed
10-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I always said if I move I'm going to always head south (where it is warmer) but Montana would be the one state where I'd go north.

If you like freedom... then don't come to the south. Nearly 150 years of reconstruction has turned a rebel nation into a flock of sheep. People love government down here.

torchbearer
10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
If you like freedom... then don't come to the south. Nearly 150 years of reconstruction has turned a rebel nation into a flock of sheep. People love government down here.

the sad truth. a subjecated people. Lincolns invasion turned all people of the south into slaves of the federal government.
Insteading of freeing people. he subjecated them all.

lucius
10-11-2008, 09:38 PM
It's home for me. Hard to make a living there.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
10-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a whole bunch of Youtube Videos I took of Montana that you can see here:

www.youtube.com/user/TrevBenson

Montana's a very nice place. Lots of wildlife with awesome landscape. The only problem is the harsh winters. If you had to survive though it would be a piece of cake with the herds of buffalo, deer, and antelope. Plus you've got plenty of woods, mountains, lakes, and freshwater streams (with gold in em).

mconder
10-11-2008, 09:39 PM
If you can handle 9-10 months of winter...sure. I'd say eastern Oragon and into west Idaho would be milder and still cheap.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
10-11-2008, 09:44 PM

It would be so easy to take over Montana. It's a huge state with a population of only around a million.

It would be a much better state than New Hampshire for the Free State Project, IMHO. It borders Canada. It has a diverse climate and geography. It has palladium, platinum, gold, silver, copper, oil, and coal. They're already pretty libertarian. They have lots of farm land. If SHTF, there's plenty of mountains to hide out in.

I'd guess that 25,000 or so active RP supporters living in Montana could educate enough people to make it a libertarian state within 2 years.

I know! Why not Montana???? It would be perfect! I'd move there in a second and become a taxadermist or just live of the land up there or something.

Why New Hampshire?? There's NO WAY I'd move to New Hampshire. Montana is like allready naturally a "free state project".

tpreitzel
10-11-2008, 10:14 PM
If you can handle 9-10 months of winter...sure. I'd say eastern Oragon and into west Idaho would be milder and still cheap.

Only in the highest elevations. The average is probably about seven months of snow. The coldest weather on average is probably limited to about 4 months, i.e. Nov-Feb. Frigid spells can last for a couple of weeks at a time during those 4 months, however. Do exceptions occur? Obviously, yes, as it can be frigid in Mar and Apr, but the cold spells are generally brief, i.e. a few days long, by then.

torchbearer
10-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I'd move to montana if it was really a free state.

cien750hp
10-11-2008, 11:14 PM
what about not moving, but just buying land as an investment. i don't remember who i heard it from, but real estate prices are supposed to fall 30% more. any one else think it would be a good idea just to buy as much land as you can at that time?

GunnyFreedom
10-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I want to move to the Montana/Wyoming border.

tpreitzel
10-11-2008, 11:55 PM
I want to move to the Montana/Wyoming border.

Sheridan, WY wouldn't be a bad place. It's growing quickly and prices for land are rising steadily. The locals complain that Sheridan is becoming a mini Jackson Hole because the billionaires in Jackson Hole have kicked the millionaires out to places like Cody, WY and Sheridan, WY. :) Sheridan's a popular spot. WY residents don't play state income tax so if you live in WY near the border, you can shop in MT where there's no sales tax and live in WY where there's no state income tax. However, with the cost of fuel, commuting is expensive. Good luck.

Anti Federalist
10-12-2008, 12:26 AM

QFT x 10

Dave39168
10-12-2008, 12:46 AM

+700Billion

Even the ones who think they don't, do

TruthAtLast
10-12-2008, 03:22 AM

My father lives in Chicago but also has several hundred acres in Montana with a self sustaining ranch including wind turbines, generators, etc. I haven't been there yet but I hear it is beautiful. But it does have VERY cold winters. I mean REALLY cold. Like you can spit and have it freeze before it hits the ground.

Luckily we have global warming so that should help. hahahaha

Johnnybags
10-12-2008, 05:37 AM

plenty of seasonal farming and is very libertarian. If NH had energy it would be ideal, if Montana had a port I'd go with that. Heck, make both of them Free States.