PDA

View Full Version : Civil Disobedience

mczerone
10-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Is there a time limit that one can spend in the polling booth?

Normally people will stand in line, get their ballots, then go into the little curtained booth to privately vote. My question: are there any laws about how long you are permitted to stand there?

Ballot-box Bottleneck:

A few dedicated supporters of liberty get to the polling stations when they open, and try to be first in line. After getting their ballot, they go into the booth and camp, ALL day. That is the hard part - both having the dedication to stand in one place for up to 12 hours, but also to resist the poll-workers telling you to hurry.

Excuses to use: "I'm a slow reader" "I just can't decide - this vote is important for the entire nation and I don't want to screw it up" "Get back to me with a citation of a law telling me that there's a time limit" "Are you trying to deny my right to vote?"

Of course, polling stations must allow anyone in line to vote, even after the polls are closed, but how many people are going to stand in line for ever?

This seems to be a way that a very few number of dedicated supporters can make a big difference in each and every district, peacefully, while also making a public statement.

People dedicated enough to wait to vote will still be allowed to, so there is no effort of 'disenfranchisement' that I'm suggesting, just a measure to make sure that those people who don't really care about being heard give up.

Even if a polling place isn't filled with dissenters, those that have the stamina to stay and block even a few booths will at least slow the process down and weed out those who don't have time to wait even a little longer.

Out of all the ideas I've considered for peaceful disobedience, this seems to have the best possible results with respect to the amount of time, effort and numbers that Liberty-minded groups can donate. It also allows people to support whatever candidate(s) they think are better solutions while agreeing that the system is broken.

Any thoughts?

** I am not advocating the execution of this or any similar plan, merely exploring the consequences if one were to attempt to do so.

4oor
10-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Sounds creative. I wonder what the police would do in that situation.

ItsTime
10-11-2008, 02:48 PM
tell me how the taser feels

mczerone
10-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Sounds creative. I wonder what the police would do in that situation.

Probably something that would allow me to answer this:

tell me how the taser feels

Hell, it's only a taser! Do you think it's more or less painful than fire hoses?

afmatt
10-11-2008, 02:59 PM
This idea is enough to tempt me to fly home to vote. But at my polling place I'm more likely to be shot by someone WAITING to vote than the police.

dr. hfn
10-11-2008, 03:00 PM
i swear i will do it

the biss
10-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I too was wondering about civil disobedience at the polling places. Can anyone stand in the campaigning area and campaign? Can we anti-campaign? I would like to hold a sign that reads:

McCain & Obama Both Voted For
the Fat Cat Wall Street Bailout
VOTE THE BUMS OUT TODAY!
There are other candidates for President
Baldwin - Constitution Party
Barr - Libertarian Party

Paulitical Correctness
10-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I'd risk a tasing for this.

mczerone
10-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I'd risk a tasing for this.

So would I.

The only "part 2" that this plan has is to then make sure that the story is spun that the people being tased hadn't finished voting! The police were denying our right to vote!

ItsTime
10-11-2008, 04:08 PM
So would I.

The only "part 2" that this plan has is to then make sure that the story is spun that the people being tased hadn't finished voting! The police were denying our right to vote!

Here is the real headline

"Terrorist takes over voting booth; tased and beaten to protect your right to vote"

constituent
10-11-2008, 04:10 PM
You want civil disobedience?

Let's focus on clogging the courts and criminal "justice" system. This could be done in a week, two weeks tops.

afmatt
10-11-2008, 04:24 PM
You want civil disobedience?

Let's focus on clogging the courts and criminal "justice" system. This could be done in a week, two weeks tops.

Details Please

mczerone
10-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Details Please

It seems my plan would be a possible step one to get a bunch of local cases in courts.

TastyWheat
10-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I saw nothing about a "time limit" under the Texas statutes, but you know cops. Arrest first, think up charges later.

ItsTime
10-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I saw nothing about a "time limit" under the Texas statutes, but you know cops. Arrest first, think up charges later.

Like resisting arrest. I love when that is the only charge...

AbolishTheGovt
10-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Why exactly would we want to do this...???

UtahApocalypse
10-11-2008, 07:12 PM
very interesting though

tangowhiskeykilo
10-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Is there a time limit that one can spend in the polling booth?

Normally people will stand in line, get their ballots, then go into the little curtained booth to privately vote. My question: are there any laws about how long you are permitted to stand there?

Ballot-box Bottleneck:

A few dedicated supporters of liberty get to the polling stations when they open, and try to be first in line. After getting their ballot, they go into the booth and camp, ALL day. That is the hard part - both having the dedication to stand in one place for up to 12 hours, but also to resist the poll-workers telling you to hurry.

Excuses to use: "I'm a slow reader" "I just can't decide - this vote is important for the entire nation and I don't want to screw it up" "Get back to me with a citation of a law telling me that there's a time limit" "Are you trying to deny my right to vote?"

Of course, polling stations must allow anyone in line to vote, even after the polls are closed, but how many people are going to stand in line for ever?

This seems to be a way that a very few number of dedicated supporters can make a big difference in each and every district, peacefully, while also making a public statement.

People dedicated enough to wait to vote will still be allowed to, so there is no effort of 'disenfranchisement' that I'm suggesting, just a measure to make sure that those people who don't really care about being heard give up.

Even if a polling place isn't filled with dissenters, those that have the stamina to stay and block even a few booths will at least slow the process down and weed out those who don't have time to wait even a little longer.

Out of all the ideas I've considered for peaceful disobedience, this seems to have the best possible results with respect to the amount of time, effort and numbers that Liberty-minded groups can donate. It also allows people to support whatever candidate(s) they think are better solutions while agreeing that the system is broken.

Any thoughts?

** I am not advocating the execution of this or any similar plan, merely exploring the consequences if one were to attempt to do so.

Sounds like an awesome plan, however i would like to hear some about the legal implications of this before actually attempting it.

jabrownie
10-11-2008, 07:45 PM
When people started to shout they could probably tag you for disturbing the peace, sufficient to get you arrested and out of there, then drop the charges. Would be hard to sue for false arrest, all the cops would have to say is that you were about to cause a riot or something, even if it hadn't actually happened yet.

Kludge
10-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Why exactly would we want to do this...???

+1.

I don't see anything good coming out of this.

Bad press -- Pisses people off -- Prevents your community from voting

TastyWheat
10-12-2008, 08:03 AM
I personally don't give a shit. They're going to vote for the wrong people anyway so I have no issue playing dirty to help the cause. Yeah, they'll probably get pissed any maybe start a rule that you can't take more than 30 minutes, but I'd rather us set the precedent than them.

Conza88
10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/funny-pictures-civil-disobedience-cat.jpg

TruckinMike
10-12-2008, 09:06 AM

Yes, we would make a big difference, your whole town would be PO'ed at Ron Paul and his supporters. Why not try something that doesn't irritate the very people we are trying to sway???

To stay with the civil disobedience theme... how about setting up a boot leg radio station and report what is actually happening... give names quotes, all the slimy facts....give web (unaffiliated) addresses, speeches, books, let the resources out of the bag ---

WE could get groups of mobile stations in cities all across the nation to broadcast at 7pm on every Thursday nights(or when ever) for one hour spreading the message... we could use boot leg advertising, coroplast signs etc plastered everywhere notifying the public of the pirate radio show. If enough signs were out there it would make the news. Everybody would tune in.

The Goal, inform the public.

PS- Don't get caught

Equipment: Ramsey (http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/hk/default.asp?page=amfm) FM broadcast transmitter $44 - $299. If you were on a hill or building it would reach about a 3-4 mile radius(w/ the $299model)... you would need multiple stations throughout the city. Use an inexpensive portable battery like this: http://www.a1-familydefense.com/jump-start.htm -- you would only need this if you had an amplifier to run
TMike

TruckinMike
10-12-2008, 10:35 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/2934269043_d850d05002_m.jpg

This is my low power FM transmitter that I use to broadcast certain streams from the internet while I'm driving down the highway or at the truck stops. I paid $29 for the kit about ten years ago... Ramsey has similar kits. Yes, you have to solder it together on a printed circuit board. -- or pay for the assembled version.

This particular unit will reach out about 1/2 mile. And that will cover your entire neighborhood if you broadcast from a high location. You can do it. Its easy.

TMike

H Roark
10-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't see how this move is productive at all. I would not encourage or think about doing this. Even if the presidential elections are a farce, you guys are forgetting that there are people voting on local propositions! It would also be too easy for the media to vilify us.

TastyWheat
10-19-2008, 01:20 AM
I don't see how this move is productive at all. I would not encourage or think about doing this. Even if the presidential elections are a farce, you guys are forgetting that there are people voting on local propositions! It would also be too easy for the media to vilify us.
As if we aren't vilified for most of our views.

muzzled dogg
10-19-2008, 01:23 AM
i feel u bro

but damn :rolleyes: