PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this?

Indy4Chng
10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
There is a ballot iniative on our state ballot in Oregon that basically would change the primary system to a giant pool with every candidate, regardless of party, on the ballot. You of course could only pick one (unless you registered through ACORN) per office. So you could have two people from the same party on the November ticket. This would not apply to the president, but to every other race. Do you think this would help or hurt getting good principled people into office? I'm not quite sure what to think about it yet.

http://www.oregonvotes.org/nov42008/guide/meas/m65_bt.html

nate895
10-10-2008, 11:49 PM
There is a ballot iniative on our state ballot in Oregon that basically would change the primary system to a giant pool with every candidate, regardless of party, on the ballot. You of course could only pick one (unless you registered through ACORN) per office. So you could have two people from the same party on the November ticket. This would not apply to the president, but to every other race. Do you think this would help or hurt getting good principled people into office? I'm not quite sure what to think about it yet.

http://www.oregonvotes.org/nov42008/guide/meas/m65_bt.html

We have it here in Washington. It hurts people's choice. Let's just take the major parties as an example. Let's say we have an open race for State Senate, in 60-40 Republican district. Now, let's say, we have six candidates seeking the office, 2 Democrats and 4 Republicans, and in this primary, each person splits his party's votes evenly. That means it winds up 20 for the Democrats and 15 for each Republican. Now a Republican district must send a Democrat to the State Senate despite the objections of 60% of the voters. That also fails to factor that third parties will rarely get a voice in the General Election, thereby forcing people to vote for the lesser of two evils.

Indy4Chng
10-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks... I saw the Washington County (Beaverton) Libertarian Party opposed it as well. I know our two party system is screwed up but just as with Obama... just cause it's different doesn't make it better. That sounds like the case here.