PDA

View Full Version : Someone stole my effen yard signs and i'm pissed!

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm thinking of ways of securing my signs.
I wanted to do bear traps, but my luck some kid would step in it.
I thought maybe hooking the metal frame to 120v AC.... but same problem as above...
Then perhaps broken glass glued to the edges of the sign....

Anyway- I had two yards signs out in my yard. I now have 4.
Everytime the get stolen, I will increase their numbers.

afmatt
10-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Security camera ftw - get em arrested for theft. Probably someone from your neighborhood that you know.

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Security camera ftw - get em arrested for theft. Probably someone from your neighborhood that you know.

What would be the cheapest solution?

Kotin
10-10-2008, 09:49 PM
chain em down and put gooey shit all over it like crisco.

(and glass)

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 09:49 PM
it would also need to be able to film in low light.

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 09:52 PM
chain em down and put gooey shit all over it like crisco.

i could chain the metal frame, but they could still jack the signs.
Crisco wouldn't keep them from taking it, but it would make their hands slick... assuming they are driving.
It is either a crackhead looking to make a dollar off of the metal frames, or one of the many McCain fascist followers on this street.

If it happens again, I will hunt them... and I will be prepared to use my glock to deter.

afmatt
10-10-2008, 09:52 PM
What would be the cheapest solution?

cheapest would be a laptop inside hooked to a webcam pointed out the window. Or if you have an old VHS camcorder set it up in a similar way. If you don't already have something to do it with it's probably not worth going out and buying something.

Oh - I'd write a nice note on the bottom of your current signs to whoever keeps taking them :D

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Should I bother filing a police report for the record?

Conza88
10-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Haha, I would propose a:

http://www.theworldaccordingtokang.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/stake-out.jpg

Anti Federalist
10-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Should I bother filing a police report for the record?

Good god, no.

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Good god, no.

Well, if I get into an altercation with someone, I thought it might be a good thing for there to be a continuous record of the thefts.
I could be wrong.

Anti Federalist
10-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, if I get into an altercation with someone, I thought it might be a good thing for there to be a continuous record of the thefts.
I could be wrong.

Could be used against you for the same reason: there was an altercation because you were looking for one, because your property was being stolen.

Prior intent.

Conza88
10-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Good god, no.

Exactly. In the end, you'll end up getting abused. Punished.

As previously mentioned;

http://www.homevideos.com/movies-covers/stakeout.jpg

It's up to you if you want to catch them in the act, dunno what the yard looks like and it's prospects... But essentially, the goal would be - if they took them during then night, in a car - get the license plate.

Track them down.. Find out where they live. ;)

Or if you go to work and they get taken during the day, it's someone who knows your routine maybe. (If it's happened more than once)

I like the MULTIPLY strategy you suggested... each time they get taken, MORE & MORE... Go door knocking, ask if you can put them up in your neighbors yards...

Piss this ---- heads off... make it seem like it's spreading.. lmao :D

Anti Federalist
10-10-2008, 10:00 PM
I could be wrong.

Addendum: Just handle your business as you see fit. Report it after the fact as if it just happened.

Always better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Could be used against you for the same reason: there was an altercation because you were looking for one, because your property was being stolen.

Prior intent.

So protecting ones property can be used against you?
I am indeed niave.

Conza88
10-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Hire a private investigator? haha.. :D

God I just love the idea of a stake out, haha.. something is wrong with meh :eek:

When do you think it was taken, recon it will happen again?

Mahkato
10-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Punch a tiny whole in the sign, run some fishing line through it, and connect it to a bell or something inside your house. Or connect it to a pullstring firecracker.

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Exactly. In the end, you'll end up getting abused. Punished.

As previously mentioned;

http://www.homevideos.com/movies-covers/stakeout.jpg

It's up to you if you want to catch them in the act, dunno what the yard looks like and it's prospects... But essentially, the goal would be - if they took them during then night, in a car - get the license plate.

Track them down.. Find out where they live. ;)

Or if you go to work and they get taken during the day, it's someone who knows your routine maybe. (If it's happened more than once)

I like the MULTIPLY strategy you suggested... each time they get taken, MORE & MORE... Go door knocking, ask if you can put them up in your neighbors yards...

Piss this ---- heads off... make it seem like it's spreading.. lmao :D

They don't realize I have hundreds of signs.
I will put enough of them out on the street, they will wish they never took the first one.

They took them tonight between 8pm and 11pm.

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Punch a tiny whole in the sign, run some fishing line through it, and connect it to a bell or something inside your house. Or connect it to a pullstring firecracker.

this is a very good idea, and cheap to do.
I can get fishing line, what would i use to punch a small hole through the chloroplast... and what kind of knot should I use?
A fisherman's knot?

evilfunnystuff
10-10-2008, 10:03 PM
id say fill a super soaker with piss and hide in the bushes lol (but they know where you live)

id just hide out and give em a good scare maybey pour the crisco all over the ground so when they run up to grab it they fall on there ass then jump out with a gun trained on em and tell em to move on

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 10:04 PM
id say fill a super soaker with piss and hide in the bushes lol (but they know where you live)

id just hide out and give em a good scare maybey pour the crisco all over the ground so when they run up to grab it they fall on there ass then jump out with a gun trained on em and tell em to move on

will crisco kill my grass?

I Am Weasel
10-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Ground up Jalepeno peppers and mix the powder in with some oil and lightly put it all over the edges where they'll pull it up. Case closed. They'll pay for it easily, and the more people that touch it the better, so put better put up several yard signs then make it known you're away. :)

Sic Semper Tyrannis
10-10-2008, 10:05 PM
i could chain the metal frame, but they could still jack the signs.
Crisco wouldn't keep them from taking it, but it would make their hands slick... assuming they are driving.
It is either a crackhead looking to make a dollar off of the metal frames, or one of the many McCain fascist followers on this street.

If it happens again, I will hunt them... and I will be prepared to use my glock to deter.

hahaha,

I hate vandalism problems.

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Ground up Jalepeno peppers and mix the powder in with some oil and lightly put it all over the edges where they'll pull it up. Case closed. They'll pay for it easily, and the more people that touch it the better, so put better put up several yard signs then make it known you're away. :)

How much pepper? Do you know this will cause agitation to the skin?

I Am Weasel
10-10-2008, 10:08 PM
that's the point. Yes, it'll burn, and it'll be even worse if it's hot outside and they touch their faces and get it in their eyes. Maybe Obama can come give them some government salve to make it all better.

oh, and as much pepper as possible

Anti Federalist
10-10-2008, 10:08 PM
So protecting ones property can be used against you?
I am indeed niave.

Seriously, yes.

Any kind of "booby traps" are illegal.

"Staking out" for the purpose of having a confrontation or inciting a fight is also illegal.

So if you're going to do, make so know one knows that you are going to do it.

In fact, who is this? PRANK POST PRANK POST.;)

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Seriously, yes.

Any kind of "booby traps" are illegal.

"Staking out" for the purpose of having a confrontation or inciting a fight is also illegal.

So if you're going to do, make so know one knows that you are going to do it.

In fact, who is this? PRANK POST PRANK POST.;)

Oh- ok, now that makes sense.

Jeremy
10-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I thought maybe hooking the metal frame to 120v AC.... but same problem as above...

wooooo

ok, but why not just go right to 100 :D

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
wooooo

ok, but why not just go right to 100 :D

I was hoping to get more of these signs to other people in town.

evilfunnystuff

i highly doubt it it is just vegetable oil maybey get organic vegie oil and test it on a small patch of grass somewhere where it wont be visible if it does or test it somewhere other than your yard just to be 100% sure

Sic Semper Tyrannis
that's the point. Yes, it'll burn, and it'll be even worse if it's hot outside and they touch their faces and get it in their eyes. Maybe Obama can come give them some government salve to make it all better.

oh, and as much pepper as possible

sounds like homade pepper spray. Have you ever thought about making enough to fill a squirt gun with and using it?

Jeremy
How much pepper? Do you know this will cause agitation to the skin?
I can picture you trying this and in the process of making it you forget to be careful and pass out... then the vandals kidnap you! :eek:

Jeremy
10-10-2008, 10:13 PM
wait, are these signs for you? i thought you were running in 2010 or something

Conza88
10-10-2008, 10:13 PM
They don't realize I have hundreds of signs.
I will put enough of them out on the street, they will wish they never took the first one.

They took them tonight between 8pm and 11pm.

Any suspects? Has to be local people? You live in a secluded area, or highly populated near a busy street?

Edit: wait.. so these ain't RP signs?

Jeremy
10-10-2008, 10:14 PM
yah, just campout... follow them... and put some in their yard :D

I Am Weasel
10-10-2008, 10:15 PM
nah, just go down to the store and get some habenero's or something, grind them up and mix it in with some oil so it won't dry out when it's outside, then run a small bit around the edges so it's not very clear what's on there.

What are they gonna do? Call the cops and say they stole your yard sign and it burned them? NO! They'll go home and throw good ole Ron to the ground cussing and trying to wash their faces off. I bet they won't steal your signs again though. :D

torchbearer
10-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Any suspects? Has to be local people? You live in a secluded area, or highly populated near a busy street?

Edit: wait.. so these ain't RP signs?

I live in the middle of the city. So its high population with some walking traffic.
No suspects.
These are Ron Paul signs promoting his presidential ballot in louisiana.

Jeremy
10-10-2008, 10:16 PM
wait, are these signs for you? i thought you were running in 2010 or something

nevermind, i remembered youre in one of the states with rp on the ballot

Mini-Me
10-10-2008, 10:27 PM

Maybe not, but land mines almost certainly will. In fact, they'll probably kill just about anything! :D

(Disclaimer to the Department of Homeland Gestapo: I was totally kidding, and I do not condone the use of land minds. No fascists were harmed during the writing of this message.)

Ninja Homer
10-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Try a mix of Crisco, skunk scent, and Dave's Insanity Sauce. Should do the trick.

afmatt
10-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Take two signs and glue/screw/hammer them onto a piece of plywood. - use long 2X2's for posts. Hammer the sucker in a good couple feet. THEN setup a camera and post on youtube when the f####ers try to pull it up and strain something.

Conza88
10-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Simple really... a pit trap.

http://www.arkikon.no/arkikons/Ulvestue_web1.jpg

evilfunnystuff
10-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Take two signs and glue/screw/hammer them onto a piece of plywood. - use long 2X2's for posts. Hammer the sucker in a good couple feet. THEN setup a camera and post on youtube when the f####ers try to pull it up and strain something.

i like that idea the title of the vid could be "ron paul doesnt budge for anyone" or "the unmoveable ron paul" or "ron paul holds his ground" or somethin and have some quotes playin in the background lol

hillbilly123069
10-10-2008, 11:24 PM

Mine too.I had Hope for America,and all I have left are his for President.Still put it up anyway.Booby traps are illegal.I asked.

RideTheDirt
10-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Get one of these.
http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged600/lks/EC.LKS.WVC54GCA.CN.JPG
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Linksys-Wireless-G-Internet-Home-Monitoring-Camera-WVC54GCA/sem/rpsm/oid/201369/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
or you could always get one of these:
http://www.it.uu.se/research/syscon/signalprocessing/topics/NQR/Landmine.jpg

AutoDas
10-11-2008, 12:47 AM
You'll need a infrared spotlight if you want to record whoever is doing this at night.

Captain Bryan
10-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Where do you keep getting the signs from? Do you have a stickpile or something?:p

floss
10-11-2008, 07:01 AM
A few years ago someone was stealing signs from someone I knew. He put it on top of his house with christmas lights around it.

moostraks
10-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Make sure you check with local code enforcement with anything you do or they will harass you. Do you have uppitty neighbors and they don't want to see yard signs and that's why they are taking them?

We had neighbor harassment issues and following within the guidelines of code we decorated our home so that they regretted the harassment. All perfectly legal and they sent eevery agency in the book out on us, and still had to look at our "artwork". It kept them at bay until right before we moved, then they started again so I left them a going away present or two...all still legal with the local law enforcement who gave us a visit before we finally moved out. Neighbors can be nightmares!!!!

I would go ahead and flood the area now with more than double the signage and acknowledgement to the idiots who took the signs you will not tolerate theft of property and there are repercussions for such actions. I would also bolt the bastards down with some various screws if they're metal, that would require some time to extract them from where they are placed. At least they would have to switch tools to remove them (alternate sizes and head types).

moostraks
10-11-2008, 07:15 AM
A few years ago someone was stealing signs from someone I knew. He put it on top of his house with christmas lights around it.

Yeah...I like that one!!!!:D

MikeStanart
10-11-2008, 08:27 AM

This is the RON PAUL METHOD!

Non-Violent...and gets the point across!

"I know what you did, and you can't stop me from doing what i'm doing!"

torchbearer
10-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Ok- I got a text message from a friend of mine this morning, it read:

Good Morning. I borrowed two of your Ron Paul signs to use for my wedding shower. Sorry Thanks. Will return them later.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/Tarkus/FacePalm.jpg

Jeremy
10-11-2008, 08:32 AM
lololololololololololollololololololololololollolo lololololololololollololololololololololollolololo lololololololollololololololololololollolololololo lololololollololololololololololollolololololololo lololollololololololololololollolololololololololo lollololololololololololollolololololololololololl ololololololololololol

torchbearer
10-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Where do you keep getting the signs from? Do you have a stickpile or something?:p

My house looks like Ron Paul headquarters.

I have one 4' x 8' sign strapped to my court yard.
I have two 2' x 4 foot signs nailed along my fence.
I have two 1' x 2' yard signs in my yard.
And my truck has two Ron Paul magnets and two campaign for liberty magnets on it.

In stock, I have a ton of signs in all the above categories.
This is half of what i had a month ago. I delivered half of my stock to a guy in south louisiana because there was a huge demand for them in his region.

torchbearer
10-11-2008, 08:38 AM
My body is conflicted. I really want to laugh, but at the same time, I really want to strangle someone.

Conza88
10-11-2008, 10:07 AM
LMFAO seriously.

moostraks
10-11-2008, 10:21 AM
rofl.....that was good!!!!

Eh...you needed to increase the signs anyways!!!!

afmatt
10-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh I REALLY needed that laugh this morning - thank your friend (after you finish strangling him) for me.

I'm still laughing :D

torchbearer
10-11-2008, 10:33 AM
The question is now... why is he using Ron Paul signs at a wedding shower??? (its a couples shower)
He already had one sign in their yard...

Truth Warrior
10-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Theft pisses a bunch of people off, ESPECIALLY the libertarians. ;)

Anti Federalist
10-11-2008, 10:37 AM

LMFAO!!!

Really, I shot coffee out my nose!!

http://vaishno.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/calvin_hobbes-laughing.jpg

torchbearer
10-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Glad I could bring a few laughs this morning.
I'm glad it was a benevolent reason my signs were gone...
He could have asked for signs or texted me last night.

Knowing him, it was partly a prank too.

torchbearer
10-11-2008, 11:07 AM
LMFAO!!!

Really, I shot coffee out my nose!!

http://vaishno.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/calvin_hobbes-laughing.jpg

sorry about the coffee.

MikeStanart
10-11-2008, 11:31 AM
This thread has epic win all over it.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Anti Federalist
10-11-2008, 11:41 AM
sorry about the coffee.

No problem, it was worth it.:D

Glad your sign are OK.;):rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
10-11-2008, 11:42 AM
This thread has epic win all over it.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Stolen effin yard signs FTW!!:D

Unspun
10-11-2008, 11:43 AM
take some fence posts and pound those suckers into the ground. tightly secure sign to posts. that's the way id do it.

TRosen75
10-11-2008, 12:33 PM
We used to have a big problem with people taking our signs too. Each time someone took one, we would just add two more. Right before Hurricane Ike, we decided that no storm would stand in the way of Ron Paul. Here is what we came up with:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2741/ronpaulsign1jy5.jpg

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5984/ronpaulsign2fr6.jpg

Unlike many trees and fences in the area, the sign survived the storm. In fact, it came out of things in nearly perfect condition.

(We haven't had any problems with people taking our signs since.)

Mini-Me
10-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Phew! Good thing you didn't plant land mines, then. ;)

Nirvikalpa
10-11-2008, 02:35 PM
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/1016/s2ef4.jpg

torchbearer
10-11-2008, 02:40 PM
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/1016/s2ef4.jpg

I need to get that as a yard sign, though, I don't know if the disclaimer will help me in court.
Louisiana is pretty good when it comes to "self-defense" and property protection when it comes to whether or not to prosecute a home owner who shoots an intruder.