PDA

View Full Version : What if we Recruited Candidates based on Name

TruthAtLast
10-10-2008, 07:22 PM
There are lots of people in the US with the name "Hillary Clinton" or "Ronald Reagan" etc.

Would it really help if someone tried to pull of an Eddie Murphy in Distinguished Gentleman?

I hate to say it but a LARGE portion of America is clueless. If they went into the voting booth and saw a name like that, could you get elected?

I guess it depends on whether you are running for Congress or the Presidency.

Just wonder how hard it would be to find someone with the right name that supports our views, train them on politics, public speaking, etc. and get their name on the ballot. :D

nate895
10-10-2008, 07:27 PM
It doesn't matter that much, your name only matters if it has a negative connotation.

TruthAtLast
10-10-2008, 07:34 PM
It doesn't matter that much, your name only matters if it has a negative connotation.

So some old voters that get into the booth and see "Ronald Reagan" wouldn't check that box? :D

nate895
10-10-2008, 07:40 PM
So some old voters that get into the booth and see "Ronald Reagan" wouldn't check that box? :D

The older the voter, the more likely they research their candidates, and most of the ones that don't just check the box next to their party of choice.

TruthAtLast
10-10-2008, 07:43 PM
The older the voter, the more likely they research their candidates, and most of the ones that don't just check the box next to their party of choice.

ahhh. well, it worked in the movie. ;)

Razorback Fan
10-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I assume you were half-kidding, but if you were serious, it's a bad idea. You may get a few extra votes from numbskulls, but you won't win that way, and if you get any press, it will be about the gimmick, not about the candidate or the substance. Not worth it. Remember when Howard Stern ran for governor of New York as a Libertarian? That did zilch for our cause. So would running "Ronald Reagan" and "Hillary Clinton".

constitutional
10-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Source? K thx bai.

Kludge
10-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Nominate "George W. Bush" an take away McCain votes by confused elderly.

Razorback Fan
10-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Source? K thx bai.

Who let the cat type on the computer again!?

nate895
10-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Source? K thx bai.

How To Win A Local Election by Judge Laurence Gray

Spider-Man
10-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Someone like a Bob Barr should change their name just prior to running to something like Captain America or Mister Liberty.

JenH88
10-10-2008, 10:07 PM
LOL.. I was just going to say have people legally change their name.. if people started seeing "vote for Thomas Jefferson II" they would look into it right? LOL..

TruthAtLast
10-10-2008, 10:19 PM
LOL.. I was just going to say have people legally change their name.. if people started seeing "vote for Thomas Jefferson II" they would look into it right? LOL..

good point. if Chad Johnson can change his name to "Ocho Cinco" I'm sure a politician can change their name and get some kind of political bump.

What if Ron Paul changed his name to Barack Obama and decided to campaign under the Constitutional party. :D

Grimnir Wotansvolk
10-10-2008, 10:42 PM
The older the voter, the more likely they research their candidateshahahahahahahaha

....hahahahahahahaha

no.

Kludge
10-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Bob Barr - Barrack Obama

Chuck Baldwin - Johne McCain

nate895
10-10-2008, 11:03 PM
hahahahahahahaha

....hahahahahahahaha

no.

How To Win A Local Election by Judge Laurence Gray

Already posted

Knightskye
10-10-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't think it would work. They might do a double take, and go, "Hey, is he really running for...?" But I don't think they'd actually vote for him. Unless the other choices completely sucked.

Kludge
10-10-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't think it would work. They might do a double take, and go, "Hey, is he really running for...?" But I don't think they'd actually vote for him. Unless the other choices completely sucked.

Do "they" know who Baldwin/Barr are now? Would "they" know if the name of their candidate is Barrack Obama or Barack Obama?

Knightskye
10-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Do "they" know who Baldwin/Barr are now? Would "they" know if the name of their candidate is Barrack Obama or Barack Obama?

Would they vote for "Barrack Obama" if his name were under "Nomination by Petition"?

Kludge
10-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Would they vote for "Barrack Obama" if his name were under "Nomination by Petition"?

Sure, the establishment has always had it out for Obama.

They just can't handle his

CHANGE,

HOPE,

or AUDACITY!

Ba-rock the vote!

Paulitical Correctness
10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Goldwater Jr.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Goldwater Jr.

lol. I'd change my name to Ron Paul Jr, but I honestly don't thnk I have the sack to carry that name.

jabrownie
10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Actually, that can work. Candidates have done that....including one judge I used to work for. He fought to use his mother's maiden name on the ballot simply because it sounded hispanic and he was running in a predominatly hispanic region. The way it could work is at the local and state level. How many of you actually know the name of your state house of representatives person? How many of you...be honest, have shown up to vote and havn't known the names of a person running in half the local races so you just pick a name that 'sounds good'. I'll be honest...I have, everyone I've asked has at some point. Not only that, but if you spread the race out, so that 6 or 7 people are running for a state house of reps spot, the numbers tend to become statistically meaningless. Basically, you could give people a ballot that said a,b,c,d,e,f,g and get the same type of distribution. Combine this with the low turn out in off years, and you could swing almost any house of reps race with only a few hundred votes. Do this in every district in a state, and you'll probably be able to take over the state house. Run people on either dem or repub tickets depending on how the district leans. Get the primary and you usually get the general by default. In Ohio we've got 99 districts, so it'd take about 500 RP people willing to run to have a complete takeover of the 6th largest economy in the country. Even if you came up shy of a majority, the caucus would be large enough to block anything. And if you block up one house, it doesn't matter who's in the senate or who the governor is. You suddenly control the purse. So, is it realistically possible, yea...it would just take a tad bit more organization then what we currently have; but not much more if decided to go for it. Once that was done, you could use it as a base to rase money, communicate with the people, and work upwards to take over higher spots both within the party and office-wise. If you don't believe any of this, just take a look at the primary results in your state during the 2006 election cycle. They are winnable.