PDA

View Full Version : Writing in Paul's Name

Poor Writer
10-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Greetings all, I am new to the forum.

I have been a supporter for Ron Paul for quite a while, and as most people, was saddened by the media's unethical treatment of him during the primaries.

My support for him didn't end with the primaries, I have carried and still carry it till this day; to the point of writing in his name for president.

Recently I debated a old, hard line republican that told me my vote for Paul was nothing more than a vote for Obama. Then I simply posed a question to him. "What is more patriotic. Voting for someone you believe or just voting for someone in order to keep someone else out of office?" Naturally, the answer was avoided.

But his led me to do a bit of research for the state in which I live. I have come to find that ballots with "write-ins" are not only counted, but discarded. Meaning, not only will my vote for Ron Paul be lost, but also all other votes for Congress, state and local candidates, plus my yea or nae on the wheel barrel of state proposals.

Which makes my support for Ron Paul really suck at the moment.

The question is: Where would be the most logical place to throw my support in order to maintain that my vote would still count?

Bob Barr is an excellent candidate. However, I still am waiting to see a "buzz" about him and his politics. Even an endorsement from Paul would be a boost.

While many on this forum would probably disagree, Nader is running as an Independent this election. While he can be considered a liberal independent, he has brought a stroke of genius to oppose the traditional two party system.

Then there is still Chuck Baldwin and Ted Weill.

Unfortunately, all 3rd party candidates fail in comparison to Ron Paul; the one who didn't make the ballot.

www.ticolumn.com

constituent
10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
none of the above counts too, just in a different way.

dannno
10-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I have come to find that ballots with "write-ins" are not only counted, but discarded. Meaning, not only will my vote for Ron Paul be lost, but also all other votes for Congress, state and local candidates, plus my yea or nae on the wheel barrel of state proposals.

Are you SURE?!

That seems criminal, imo.

What state are you in?

On my ballot the write-in is just a circle you fill in, so it seems like they would just scan it in, the computer would tally one for "write-in", count all of your other votes, then tally up your write-in candidate vote at a later time.. but you're the one who did the research..

glenjamindle
10-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Vote 3rd party. I listened to the 3rd party debate last night on the internet and Baldwin won me over. He is also Ron Pauls choice :)

revolutionman
10-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Chuck Baldwin is a gay basher that wants to force anti abortion laws down all our throats on the federal level using the position of President as a "bully pulpit".

I dont personally support abortion, but i, like Ron Paul, and obviously unlike Chuck Baldwin, respect the rights of the people to make these decisions locally. As outlined in the Constitution, the very Constitution that Chuck Baldwin claims to defend.

In my opinion Chuck Baldwins religious convictions interfere too drastically with his perceptions of reality for him to be a viable Presidential candidate.

Matt Collins
10-10-2008, 05:47 PM
In TN and many other States write-in votes are not counted.

satchelmcqueen
10-10-2008, 06:04 PM
well, im still driving around with a 4X2 ron paul for prez sign on my truck tailgate and also the same sign on my fence. im writing in paul even though it wont matter....but it will to me.

Poor Writer
10-10-2008, 08:35 PM
dannno:

Are you SURE?!

That seems criminal, imo.

What state are you in?
According to a website (non government) for Michigan voting procedure.

satchelmcqueen:

well, im still driving around with a 4X2 ron paul for prez sign on my truck tailgate and also the same sign on my fence. im writing in paul even though it wont matter....but it will to me.
I'm still sitting on that side of the fence. To this point, no 3rd party candidate has stood out and spoke to me.

http://www.ticolumn.com

shuffleproshaq
10-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Ron Paul said not to write him in. He said to vote 3rd party.

silverhawks
10-10-2008, 10:00 PM
No disrespect to Dr Paul, but people who were won over to his message were won over by HIM saying it. He can't just expect people to go over to the candidate he endorses.

Getting Dr Paul back to run on an independent ticket would have MUCH more of an effect; not like the ridiculous smears aren't easy to debunk anyway, and I think at this point there would be at least two or three mainstream media pundits willing to make a public apology if they thought he might have solutions that didn't involve spending nearly a trillion in taxpayers money.

I think the only real barrier would be exposure through the mainstream media at this point; it would take a media blitz to get him back out in time for November. Though I'm fairly sure that since every single American is asking the questions that he has the answers to - and that McCain and Obama are actively avoiding - he might make a very significant impact.

He also has the Nay vote against the bailout in his favour, and speaks from a position of experience, authority, wisdom and public service. In many ways, he represents the best of both mainstream candidates; which is why he suffered media censorship.

Then there's the question of whether this election is completely rigged or not, and if he did win, whether it would be stolen.

Wendi
10-11-2008, 02:45 AM
If someone, someone could convince him to ditch the Republican party and run independent now even at the last minute... I bet he'd get all kinds of attention, a lot from people who thought he was nuts. Until everything he'd been talking about, started to happen.

But I'm not holding my breath. :(

Pauls' Revere
10-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Greetings all, I am new to the forum.

I have been a supporter for Ron Paul for quite a while, and as most people, was saddened by the media's unethical treatment of him during the primaries.

My support for him didn't end with the primaries, I have carried and still carry it till this day; to the point of writing in his name for president.

Recently I debated a old, hard line republican that told me my vote for Paul was nothing more than a vote for Obama. Then I simply posed a question to him. "What is more patriotic. Voting for someone you believe or just voting for someone in order to keep someone else out of office?" Naturally, the answer was avoided.

But his led me to do a bit of research for the state in which I live. I have come to find that ballots with "write-ins" are not only counted, but discarded. Meaning, not only will my vote for Ron Paul be lost, but also all other votes for Congress, state and local candidates, plus my yea or nae on the wheel barrel of state proposals.

Which makes my support for Ron Paul really suck at the moment.

The question is: Where would be the most logical place to throw my support in order to maintain that my vote would still count?

Bob Barr is an excellent candidate. However, I still am waiting to see a "buzz" about him and his politics. Even an endorsement from Paul would be a boost.

While many on this forum would probably disagree, Nader is running as an Independent this election. While he can be considered a liberal independent, he has brought a stroke of genius to oppose the traditional two party system.

Then there is still Chuck Baldwin and Ted Weill.

Unfortunately, all 3rd party candidates fail in comparison to Ron Paul; the one who didn't make the ballot.

www.ticolumn.com

Source?

NewFederalist
10-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Ron Paul has NOT filed the appropriate paperwork in ANY state to have write-in votes tallied. Remember, when voting for president you are really voting for a set of electors pledged to vote for a particular ticket in the Electoral College. One must file the names of these people (as well as the vice presidential candidate) with the state election authorities as well as a declaration of candidacy. Dr. Paul has done neither. Whether or not writing him in spoils the rest of the ballot varies by state.

dr. hfn
10-11-2008, 02:13 PM
vote 3rd party!

tylerc
10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I work for the board of elections in my state and at the meeting a couple of weeks ago about the presidential election, it was said that Ron Paul had gained enough names to be a Write-In candidate for our state.