PDA

View Full Version : Soy is making kids gay

BeFranklin
10-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Posted because its slightly funny even if its true.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327

Soy is making kids 'gay'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: December 12, 2006
1:00 am Eastern

Read all of Rutz's columns on soy for the whole story:

Soy is making kids 'gay'
The trouble with soy – part 2
The trouble with soy – part 3
The trouble with soy – part 4
The trouble with soy – part 5
The trouble with soy – part 6

There's a slow poison out there that's severely damaging our children and threatening to tear apart our culture. The ironic part is, it's a "health food," one of our most popular.

Now, I'm a health-food guy, a fanatic who seldom allows anything into his kitchen unless it's organic. I state my bias here just so you'll know I'm not anti-health food.

The dangerous food I'm speaking of is soy. Soybean products are feminizing, and they're all over the place. You can hardly escape them anymore.

(Column continues below)

Conza88
10-10-2008, 01:41 AM
P.S.: Soy sauce is fine. Unlike soy milk, it's perfectly safe because it's fermented, which changes its molecular structure. Miso, natto and tempeh are also OK, but avoid tofu.

Haha.. phew :)

dannno
10-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Hempseed is more nutritious and is not feminizing... not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

I don't actually think soy is feminizing, either...

youngbuck
10-10-2008, 02:22 AM
I don't actually think soy is feminizing, either...

It is.

Dr.3D
10-10-2008, 05:53 AM
Yeah, this is why everybody in the orient is gay. :rolleyes:

JosephTheLibertarian
10-10-2008, 06:00 AM
hmm I love soy milk :/

acptulsa
10-10-2008, 06:03 AM

That must be it.

One wonders how the East can have the two most populous nations on Earth when they live on rice and soy and are therefore all gay, but I read it on the internet so it must be true. Just one of life's mysteries, I guess.

BeFranklin
10-10-2008, 06:14 AM

They are trying to reduce the population over there, so that wouldn't be entirely out of the realm of possibility. No more than floride in the water to dope people up being from the nazis and russians. (Not saying that is necessary true either)

Actually, I think I read somewhere that both cannoboids (hemp seeds?) and ginseng are also feminizing. :p

carmaphob
10-10-2008, 06:14 AM
That must be it.

One wonders how the East can have the two most populous nations on Earth when they live on rice and soy and are therefore all gay, but I read it on the internet so it must be true. Just one of life's mysteries, I guess.

Well I read on the internet that they are all geniuses because they eat so much rice and fish. So therefor they are all test tube babies.

It also makes me wonder if they even have to ingest soy to be gay, since being gay is in your genes. I read that on the internet too.

RJB
10-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Margarine(trans fats) and Soy are the two most unhealthy "foods" that somehow were pushed on us as "health foods."

voytechs
10-10-2008, 06:32 AM
I learned about this first at http://bodybuilding.com and then confirmed with some friends at my Gym. I was advised against taking Soy based meals and supplement because of the high estrogen content. I now feed exclusively on Whey protein and avoid Soy based meals. (doesn't mean that's all I eat; I eat very nutritiously) :)

JosephTheLibertarian
10-10-2008, 06:34 AM
I've been chugging down soy milk, but I still want to bang women. I defy the odds!

RickyJ
10-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Natural plant hormones do not have the same effect on people as natural human hormones. It is not feminizing.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-10-2008, 06:42 AM
What would happen if I took estrogen? Would I still want to have sex with women?

orafi
10-10-2008, 06:52 AM

They do have a lot of trannies.

RickyJ
10-10-2008, 07:04 AM
then confirmed with some friends at my Gym.

Well if you confirmed it with some guys down at the gym then that must make it true. :D

voytechs
10-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Well if you confirmed it with some guys down at the gym then that must make it true. :D

:D I know, not very scientific, but hey these guys know their bodies and what they put in it. The bodybuilding.com website is awesome and this isn't new news. This has been known since the '70s

dannno
10-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Actually, I think I read somewhere that both cannoboids (hemp seeds?) and ginseng are also feminizing. :p

Cannabinoids are NOT in hempseeds and they are NOT feminizing.

dannno
10-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Natural plant hormones do not have the same effect on people as natural human hormones. It is not feminizing.

This.

Seriously, I used to eat meat, almost NEVER ate soy (except lecithin).. and then I converted to almost all soy.

There is no truth to this BS.

Whey protein is better than soy protein at repairing muscles. That's the truth and that's your answer.

RJB
10-10-2008, 09:08 AM
So we have a lot of people who eat soy...

Yet they all deny they are gay...

hmm sounds like a lot of closet doors are locked tight:p

I know that's 2nd grade humor but I couldn't resist:D

ChickenHawk
10-10-2008, 09:59 AM
So if I run my car on biodiesel will it turn gay? I need to know this because I don't want anyone thinking I drive a chick car.

Conza88
10-10-2008, 10:11 AM
So if I run my car on biodiesel will it turn gay? I need to know this because I don't want anyone thinking I drive a chick car.

How Gay Is Your Car?
http://www.caradvice.com.au/1235/how-gay-is-your-car/

lol... How about this your car? :D

http://boifromtroy.com/archives/gay%20bmw.jpg

heavenlyboy34
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM

if you have a boy car, it will just get fat. Soy is a natural source of estrogen (note that natural estrogen supplements for women are derived mostly from soy), and male bodies don't cope well with it.

lucius
10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
The soy industry's influence over the media, research institutions and government agencies is strong--it's policy agenda.

Who is SoyOnlineService?

Soy Online Service are a small group of private citizens from New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom. We have no industry connections and are not funded by any outside interest groups. Our mission is to uncover the truth about soy and to provide consumers with an alternative opinion to the plethora of criminal and dangerous lies that issue from the soy industry.

Here's their website: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/index.htm

dannno
10-10-2008, 11:53 AM
if you have a boy car, it will just get fat. Soy is a natural source of estrogen (note that natural estrogen supplements for women are derived mostly from soy), and male bodies don't cope well with it.

Gee, then maybe you can explain why I lost over 60 lbs when I switched from eating meat to eating soy??

I have more energy and I am more athletic than ever before.. AND i smoke herb every day now on top of that!!

Soy myths are pure garbage.

I hope all you meat lubbers enjoy your heart attacks.

heavenlyboy34
10-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Gee, then maybe you can explain why I lost over 60 lbs when I switched from eating meat to eating soy??

I have more energy and I am more athletic than ever before.. AND i smoke herb every day now on top of that!!

Soy myths are pure garbage.

I hope all you meat lubbers enjoy your heart attacks.

Probably because you exercise and ate less than you did before. Heart attacks are a result of the hi-carb/low exercise American lifestyle, not meat. Before the advent of American crap diets, heart disease was virtually unknown.

(see exercise physiologist Lance Dreyer as well as this site http://www.paleodiet.com/, which complements the Paleo diet book)

btw, I'm not a "meat lubber". Meat is just a part of a balanced diet. Green veggies are actually more important overall. It's very possible to live entirely on greens, if you have the will and discipline. The "food pyramid" was invented by farmers in conjunction with the corrupt FDA, and is essentially upside down. So, in a lot of ways you are correct-just not entirely.

nate895
10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Some of you are forgetting the article said that soy will not affect a man passed puberty.

dannno
10-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Probably because you exercise and ate less than you did before.

Hah, no actually I switched over to soy, went to class, sat around smoking weed all day, studying, listening to music and playing video games with my friends and did jack shit for 9 months and lost over 60lbs. I don't think I ate less, i think I still eat just as much as I did before, pound for pound, if not more. It's been 6 or 7 years and I'm a lot more active now, but still weigh the same.

It was mostly because meat causes my metabolism to go half-speed.. some people need meat, otherwise their metabolism goes half-speed and they gain weight. Everybody is different, some people actually need to eat a lot of meat to be healthy, others need balance, and people like me do great on vegetarian diets (though I eat fish once or twice a month and red meat 2 or 3 times a year).

I just know all these soy myths are BS cause my testosterone levels did not go down and my energy levels did not go down after I started ingesting massive amounts of soy in place of meat.

Heart attacks are a result of the hi-carb/low exercise American lifestyle, not meat. Before the advent of American crap diets, heart disease was virtually unknown.

(see exercise physiologist Lance Dreyer as well as this site http://www.paleodiet.com/, which complements the Paleo diet book)

btw, I'm not a "meat lubber". Meat is just a part of a balanced diet. Green veggies are actually more important overall. It's very possible to live entirely on greens, if you have the will and discipline. The "food pyramid" was invented by farmers in conjunction with the corrupt FDA, and is essentially upside down. So, in a lot of ways you are correct-just not entirely.

Ya, I agree with most of that... But there are some people who eat mostly meat and are extremely overweight for it.. they should really try a more balanced or vegetarian diet for a while. The carbs may be the source of the weight gain, but the decreased metabolism is the source of the higher carb intake.

dannno
10-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Some of you are forgetting the article said that soy will not affect a man passed puberty.

You're forgetting that not everybody read the article.. including me and probably most of the people discussing this topic right now, apparently. :p

nate895
10-10-2008, 12:39 PM
You're forgetting that not everybody read the article.. including me and probably most of the people discussing this topic right now, apparently. :p

I know, but arguing against something you haven't read is pretty stupid.

I read the article because I was fed soy in my infancy. I am not gay, but that is probably because my family has an overload of testosterone. My uncle grew a beard long enough at age 17 to be able to buy alcohol without getting carded.

lucius
10-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Not great for rats/ a-OK for you: :rolleyes:

Neurobehavioral actions of coumestrol and related isoflavonoids in rodents.

Neurotoxicol Teratol 2002 Jan-Feb;24(1):47-54

Whitten PL, Patisaul HB, Young LJ.

Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA. antpw@emory.edu

Isoflavonoids are plant estrogens that are increasingly advocated as a natural alternative to estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) and are available as dietary supplements. As weak estrogen agonists/antagonists with a range of other enzymatic activities, the isoflavonoids provide a useful model for the actions of endocrine disruptors. This paper reviews the responses of rodents to diets containing coumestrol or an isoflavone supplement in comparison to animals fed the phytoestrogen-free AIN76A diet. Neural mechanisms were investigated by examining isoflavonoid effects on ER(alpha)-dependent (regulation of oxytocin receptor [OTR] binding in the ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamus [VMN]) and ERbeta-dependent (regulation of ERbeta mRNA in the paraventricular nucleus [PVN]) endpoints. Activational as well as organizational effects on sexual behavior and gonadotropin secretion were observed for coumestrol. Treatment of rat dams with a 100-ppm coumestrol diet from birth to postnatal day (PND) 21 induced premature anovulation in female offspring, and treatment from birth to PND 10 suppressed sexual behavior in male offspring. One-week treatment of ovariectomized (OVX) female rats with the same coumestrol diet increased ERbeta mRNA expression in the PVN, an effect opposite to that of estradiol. Ten days of treatment with a 200-ppm coumestrol diet increased LH secretion in OVX wild-type mice, an effect opposite to the normal negative feedback effects of estradiol. No effects were observed in ER(alpha) knockout (ER(alpha)KO)-OVX females, indicating that coumestrol's action on LH was mediated through ER(alpha). Similar activational effects were observed for the isoflavone diet. The lordotic response to estrogen was significantly reduced by 2 days of treatment of OVX adult females with an isoflavone diet providing 13 ppm genistein and 33 ppm daidzein. One week of treatment with the same isoflavone diet produced an effect opposite to that of estradiol in the PVN, increasing ERbeta mRNA expression above control levels. These investigations show that, in spite of their preferential affinity for ERbeta, isoflavonoids act through both ER(alpha) and ERbeta. Moreover, their neurobehavioral actions were antiestrogenic, either antagonizing or producing an action in opposition to that of estradiol. This work demonstrates that even small, physiologically relevant exposure levels can alter estrogen-dependent gene expression in the brain and complex behavior.

Research this wonder of 'modern soy productions', you may find a 'freak' of a Kellogg who help found the Race Betterment Society, or not.

heavenlyboy34
10-10-2008, 03:07 PM
~bump~ Creepy shit, man. :eek:

revolutionman
10-10-2008, 03:47 PM
i think Americans make soy gay.

tmosley
10-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Oh noes teh ***** beens r gunna get us!

But seriously, that's really stupid.

heavenlyboy34
10-10-2008, 04:06 PM
i think Americans make soy gay.

Please explain how you came to this conclusion! :eek:

BeFranklin
10-10-2008, 08:16 PM
FYI: This is one of the reasons I stopped using ginseng. The other is the amount of containments found in many ginseng suppliments. Ginseng is a really nice herb btw.

Despite the title, the pro comments on the thread are beginning to convince me. No telling what the effect on kids would be. This isn't like a natural "we always ate it" diet.

tmosley
10-10-2008, 08:28 PM
FYI: This is one of the reasons I stopped using ginseng. The other is the amount of containments found in many ginseng suppliments. Ginseng is a really nice herb btw.

Despite the title, the pro comments on the thread are beginning to convince me. No telling what the effect on kids would be. This isn't like a natural "we always ate it" diet.

Asians did. Soy has been part of Chinese diets for at least 3000 years, with some claims that it was in domesticated and cultivated 5000 years ago. They did pretty well for themselves, dominating the world in population, economic output, and population pretty well from the dawn of civilization until the 1600's, when they were surpassed by the Europeans, and then only because of egotism (no reason to explore or trade with barbarians) and a false philosophy (the workings of nature are too complex to understand).

Soy protein consumption has been shown to provide an increase in IQ. I tried this myself, and I think it worked out quite well.

In summary, don't deprive yourselves or your children of food variety because of unfounded homophobia.

BeFranklin
10-10-2008, 08:44 PM
In summary, don't deprive yourselves or your children of food variety because of unfounded homophobia.

I don't know, the title of the article makes me think its a conspiracy to sap all our precious bodily fluids :eek:

Edit:
[Strangelove's plan for post-nuclear war survival involves living underground with a 10:1 female-to-male ratio]

Hmm, I think I like the way Dr. Stangelove thinks. Lol. FYI: The quote above is a takeoff from this movie, which is a cult classic. Also
what the article intitially reminded me of for some reason.

lucius
10-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Asians did. Soy has been part of Chinese diets for at least 3000 years, with some claims that it was in domesticated and cultivated 5000 years ago. They did pretty well for themselves, dominating the world in population, economic output, and population pretty well from the dawn of civilization until the 1600's, when they were surpassed by the Europeans, and then only because of egotism (no reason to explore or trade with barbarians) and a false philosophy (the workings of nature are too complex to understand).

Soy is not the cornerstone of Asian diets

This is probably by far the most common misconception about soy products. Many of the fitness magazines, and even some dietitians, overplay the role of soy in the Asian diet.

In China and Japan, people only eat about 10 grams (2 teaspoons) a day. What's more, soy is viewed and consumed as a condiment, not as a replacement for animal products or as an entire meal. Basically, soy in those regions would be like ketchup or mustard, rather than the main dish.

Additionally, the type of soy that is consumed in the Asiatic region is quite different from the way it is eaten in the West. The soy that is prepared in Asian countries is fermented.

Mini-Me
10-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Whatever...as long as a whole lot more guys go gay, I'll have a whole lot less competition! :D

nate895
10-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Whatever...as long as a whole lot more guys go gay, I'll have a whole lot less competition! :D

The other problem I saw was the lowering of the age of puberty for girls, sometimes to seven. It is hypersexualizing our culture from a very early age, and with the delays in puberty for boys, it is really weird.

lucius
10-10-2008, 10:33 PM
"It's all about money. Soybeans were first heavily grown here for the soy oil… the one used most often in margarines and shortenings. But once processors took the oil out of the soybean, they had a lot of soy protein left over. The question was whether they should take it to the landfill and pay to dump it or turn it into another profit centre. Soy protein would make an excellent fertilizer, but unfortunately the chemical fertilizer companies had that market cornered. It is used as a primary ingredient in animal foods, but there are limits on how much they can safely feed to animals... It was initially hard to sell people on the idea of eating soy because it was perceived as either a poverty food or a hippie food. Then marketing experts changed the image of soy to an upscale 'health food.'

And that dear readers, is why all of us think this toxic waste, not healthy enough for animal feed, is a wonder food.

The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food by Kaayla T. Daniel (ISBN: 0967089751)

Here's a brief overview of Daniel's findings:

soy oil was the first and primary profit centre for soy, and soy was largely responsible for the spread of hydrogenated or trans fats

most soy is genetically modified

soy farming is wreaking greater devastation on forests, cottage industries, and family farms than the cattle industry. (If you mistakenly thought soy was a bunch of hippie farmers, like I did, Dr. Daniel tells it like it is: "Let's name names. Monsanto, Dupont, Archer Daniels Midland, Solae . . . Nearly all the old hippie companies have been bought up by the big boys. For example, White Wave is owned by Dean Foods. Some of America's largest food companies now manufacture soy foods or use soy ingredients heavily in their products. Think Kraft, Kellogg, ConAgra, General Mills, Heinz, Unilever Best Foods and Dean Foods.")

soy is a major allergen, and because it is used as filler in hundreds of products including meats and 'vegetable oil,' people with allergies may be at risk

soy contains goitrogens, which damage the thyroid

soy contains lectins, which cause red blood cells to lump together and may trigger abnormal immunity responses

soy contains oligosaccarides, sugars that cause bloating and gas

soy contains oxalates, which prevent calcium absorption, cause painful kidney stones and vulvodynia, a vaginal disorder

many plant foods contain phytates and phytic acid, naturally occurring 'pesticides' to keep plants from being eaten while growing. phytates impair mineral absorption, and in fact, remove many minerals already in the body, including iron, zinc, and calcium. phytates in many foods are alleviated by cooking - soy's phytate levels are high and stubborn.

isoflavones, lauded as natural estrogens, are serious endocrine disruptors, lowering testosterone, causing menstrual disorders, and cancer cell proliferation

protease inhibitors interfere with digestive enzymes, saponins may lower good cholesterol and damage intestine

that all of these plant chemicals can have benefits, and do exist in other foods, to varying levels of edibility: that soaking grains and fermenting beans are ancient food prep traditions

soymilk is far from a natural food: it is filled with rancid fats and high in sugar

soy cheeses are largely made with hydrogenated oils (safety level of hydrogenated products? ZERO)

some health problems that may be associated with soy foods are: bladder, prostate, colorectal, thyroid and breast cancer; precancerous lesions; heart disease; type 2 diabetes; malnutrition; stunted growth; flatulence; pancreatic problems; low libido: early puberty; anemia; zinc deficiency; osteoporosis; intestinal damage; mal-absorption and leaky gut syndrome; kidney stones; allergies; infant death; immune system disruption; thyroid disease - and the list goes on.

This isn't the first time we've been concerned. Before the massive health movement of the late 80s and early 90s, all sorts of articles came out about soy safety. But hardly anyone liked the stuff anyhow, and vegetarians had yet to think of it as a food group. Soy decided to get a makeover, and save itself from the financial fallout that was nigh - when it's dirty toxic margarine secrets would inevitably leak out.

"By 1985, there was a considerable body of research from U.S. Government and university laboratories and British government institutions warning of the health dangers of soy foods, particularly to high-risk consumers such as infants and vegetarian women," says Dianne Gregg, writer of The Hidden Dangers of Soy, and survivor of soy-related illness that nearly killed her.

"These were published in scientific journals. In response, in 1985 the soy processing industry in the U.S. held a number of conferences and devised a program, 'Soy 2000,' the intent of which was to aggressively promote soy as a health food when they already knew it contained biologically active levels of toxins. This involved heavy political lobbying of Congress and Federal regulators, a vast advertising program, planting favorable articles in popular and academic media, obtaining huge Federal farming subsidies, and sponsorship of meetings by the U.S Department of Agriculture. The aim of Soy 2000 was to promote to the consumers that soy was a proven health food with no adverse effects. Their claim was that millions of Asians have been consuming soy in large quantities for thousands of years and are all remarkably healthy as a result. American consumers were expected to believe this, and most of us did!"

Soy's first incarnation in North American consumption was also a health food imposter. After millenniums of wisdom where humans used butter or lard or olive oil, good enough for the Bible and good enough for the world, suddenly margarine was "heart healthy" and "cholesterol-lowering." But lately, studies started talking about how heart disease INCREASED from this new artificial fat, hydrogenated margarine, which our body cannot recognize. OF course it did. This was not a real food.

Sound familiar? It is. Those who perceive of soy as innocent and concerned for your health may be surprised at how big a player soy was in the hydrogenation revolution. Most hydrogenated oil was soy. Now, even junk makers like chips and fast food have pulled these artificial fats out of their products. Hydrogenated oils are liquid plastic and they are poisonous. Most governments place safe consumption levels at ZERO.

Clearly soy, which still defends hydrogenation, did not then have our best health interests in mind, just profit. When the tide turned, they turned up the noise on how healthy soy is, and it became a health food, its history in margarine conveniently blotted from public consciousness.

While the health dangers are considerably ominous, not everyone is in immediate danger of death. But Dianne Gregg came within inches of her life.

Gregg had never been a vegetarian, but slim, health-conscious, and staring menopause head-on, she decided to take charge of her health and began eating soy. "I started to include soy protein drinks for breakfast, and protein bars as a snack. For eight years I was constantly nauseous, bloated, and gaining weight each year. I knew something was wrong but the doctors said it was normal and to accept that I was getting older. In April 2003, I had a soy veggie burger for dinner and that is what did me in. This was the first time I had one. The next morning I was rushed to the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack – but I went into anaphylactic shock."

"After four days in the intensive care unit, the doctors diagnosed food poisoning, but I didn't agree. By now I weighed 150lbs. That was more than I weighed in my ninth month of pregnancy!"

Dianne went home, and didn't eat much of anything for a while. When she recovered from her mystery illness, she started her day again with her soy health drink. She began having palpitations and other symptoms. Linking the reaction to the soy, she began her internet research, and found that in addition to very common and possibly deadly allergies, soy is implicated in hundreds of deadly or chronic diseases. Other consumers may not be linking their health problems with their health food. So Gregg wrote her book, The Hidden Dangers of Soy (www.hiddensoy.com).

"My intention was not to bash the soy industry but to make the public aware of what the Western version of soy contains, and that if they are not feeling like themselves, or are developing health issues, to try and eliminate soy and see if they don't feel better. In my book, I have testimonials from others with real horror stories that never attributed it to soy products."

Part of the 'hidden danger' is what's hidden. Gregg says that soy is hiding in everything from meat to chocolate to oil, so people hoping to avoid it don't usually do a good job. "The number of processed and manufactured foods that contain soy ingredients today is astounding. It can be hard to find foods that don't contain soy flour, soy oil, lecithin (extracted from soy oil and used as an emulsifier in high-fat products), soy protein isolates and concentrates, textured vegetable protein (TVP), hydrolyzed vegetable protein (usually made from soy) or unidentified vegetable oils. Most of what is labeled 'vegetable oil' in the U.S. is actually soy oil, as are most margarines. Soy oil is the most widely used oil in the U.S., accounting for more than 75 percent of our total vegetable fats and oil intake. It's found in margarine, shortenings, frozen dinners, canned tuna, mayonnaise, breads, cookies, crackers, canned soup, breakfast cereals, and fast foods to name a few."

Gregg says many women keep eating soy in hope of the benefits, and end up with hypothyroidism. While contributors to the thyroid epidemic may include hormonal birth control products, fluoride content in water, stress, and sugar, soy's strength as an endocrine disruptor should not be underestimated. Especially with soy hidden throughout many foods - you can't eat uncooked broccoli, another goitrogenic food, in high quantities by mistake, for example – even those who choose not to eat soy may be eating a lot of soy!

Another person who is very concerned about thyroid health is Mary J. Shomon, a patient advocate and best-selling author, whose many books on thyroid and autoimmune diseases I have read and enjoyed, notably Living Well With Hypothyroidism. Shomon is not an anti-soy crusader by any stretch. Her research and advocacy is concerned only with the thyroid. She has no vested interest in vegetarian/omnivore battles, soy business practices, or anything else that remotely relates to my story, except as it may or may not affect the thyroid.

It has been a well-documented fact for decades that soy foods lower thyroid hormone (Drs Doerge and Chang, FDA, Division of Biochemical Toxicology, for starters, and more from 50 years of diverse sources). But the Soyfoods Association of North America is not very concerned about my health. They cheerfully tell me, "Like other plant foods that contain goitrogens, soy can be part of a healthy diet." (Cooking broccoli or peanuts destroys their lower levels of goitrogens, but cooking soy does little to remove them.) They tell me that soy does not cause thyroid problems in healthy people (though even small amounts of the food in a daily diet have been shown to slow a normal thyroid.) They tell me to get enough iodine, which is fair enough, and to take my medicine in between meals so that the soy won't affect the absorption.

Shomon says, "I think that you need to consider the messenger. The soy industry has a vested interest in promoting soy, and downplaying any potential negatives. Again, some soy can have a place in a healthy diet, but stick with the fermented forms you find in Asian foods, like tempeh, tofu, miso, and use it, like the Asians do, more as a condiment." She says, " if over-consumed, especially in its processed, isoflavone-heavy forms, it can have detrimental effects on thyroid health. Soy is a goitrogen, a food that has the ability to slow down the thyroid gland. In some people, over-consumption of soy can trigger a thyroid condition -- or aggravate an existing one."

For the record, I contacted the Soyfoods Association of North America by telephone and email to ask about these claims and to ensure fair storytelling as a journalist whose only vested interest is the truth, not profit or ideology. No representative from any of the soy boards returned my contact.

By far one of the most thorough, informative and wide-ranging info portals on soy danger is Soy Online Services, in New Zealand. Associated with Dick and Valerie James, the content-heavy site shows no agenda but to help people dismantle the confusing array of information. No membership, no fees, no hidden agenda- just the facts, ma'am. Dick James has been correcting misinformation for years, writing letters to governments and health providers on his own time and own dime. His formidable efforts to spread his truth are honourable- Dick has never taken a dime for this time, or for Soy Online Services.

For the Jameses, it all began when his prized parrots began getting sick and dying after switching to miracle-soy-based-bird-food, he decided to get to the bottom of the issue and found astounding horrors surrounding soy foods. A dear young friend also died somewhat mysteriously, and that's how they started researching soy. They launched a legal investigation to get to the bottom of the bird-food issue, as well as the human health implications, and so began Soy Online Services.

Dick James is a man who has generously given his time and energy to educating people about their health. He says it's a "fallacy is to think that vegetarianism equates to soy consumption. It does not." Vegetarians used to eat a wider spectrum of food. Because of marketing and industrial politics, soy is everywhere, even in bird food.

The internet is abuzz with theories hoping to defame the cozy circle of soy opponents, many whom, like the James', are affiliated with the Weston Price Foundation (www.westonaprice.org.) Dr. Kaayla Daniel serves on the board of directors. The foundation follows the nutrition research of Dr. Weston Price, a dentist who wandered the globe studying the diets of diverse people. The foundation heavily encourages traditional diets based on animal foods and vegetables. Their agenda doesn't scare me away: I have a deep respect for the Weston Price research, and these people work hard to advocate safe, humane farming practices, chemical-free food, and old fashioned methods of fermentation and soaking. The diet may sound funny to those used to boxes and cans, but any student of world cuisine or of history and anthropology can tell these are hardly off the wall. Dr. Daniel says, "The Weston Price Foundation is supported by membership dues and private donations and receives no funding from the beef or dairy industries. We recommend an omnivorous diet that includes free-range eggs, grass-fed meat and raw dairy products from happy, pastured cows, but such products do not come from factory farming operations or corporate agribusiness. We support small farmers, humane treatment of animals, sustainable and organic agriculture and the consumer's right to obtain fresh healthy foods directly from local farmers."

The good sense of sustainable and humane farming and traditional food preparation get lost in the extravagant propaganda. "It's all about money. Soybeans were first heavily grown here for the soy oil… the one used most often in margarines and shortenings. But once processors took the oil out of the soybean, they had a lot of soy protein left over. The question was whether they should take it to the landfill and pay to dump it or turn it into another profit centre. Soy protein would make an excellent fertilizer, but unfortunately the chemical fertilizer companies had that market cornered. It is used as a primary ingredient in animal foods, but there are limits on how much they can safely feed to animals... It was initially hard to sell people on the idea of eating soy because it was perceived as either a poverty food or a hippie food. Then marketing experts changed the image of soy to an upscale 'health food.'

And that dear readers, is why all of us think this toxic waste, not healthy enough for animal feed, is a wonder food.

Spilling The Beans: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/articles/spilling_the_beans.htm

youngbuck
10-11-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm sick of people talking crap about something they know nothing about. Yes, soy is bad for you. It is used in Asia, but it is prepared differently so that it's nutritional content is changed.

Anything you eat soy-wise here in America is not going to be prepared properly. Just stfu if you don't know what you're talking about. Want me to provide links, books, etc? Ask. Otherwise, research before you flaunt you ignorance on the subject.

BeFranklin
10-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Bump for all the info in thread

dannno
10-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm sick of people talking crap about something they know nothing about. Yes, soy is bad for you. It is used in Asia, but it is prepared differently so that it's nutritional content is changed.

Anything you eat soy-wise here in America is not going to be prepared properly. Just stfu if you don't know what you're talking about. Want me to provide links, books, etc? Ask. Otherwise, research before you flaunt you ignorance on the subject.

Well, I'm curious I suppose.