PDA

View Full Version : Voting for president on a religious basis

Standardista
10-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey all,

I'm a Christian (non-denominational, but I go to a conservative baptist church).

Lately I have been getting the normal, "Vote Conservative - It's what Jesus would do" kind of emails.

Now personally, I cannot stand McCain or Obama, but according to the "church" - McCain has more standing Biblically-speaking (issues such as abortion, gay marriage, etc)

Obviously, is RP was president, this wouldn't matter, because (if I understand his position correctly) he is pro-life, and would leave most/all of those decisions to the states to decide.

I am curious though - what power does the president have for those issues (abortion, gay marriage, etc.) - if I can get solid evidence (constitutional) that the president doesn't have authority to impose restrictions on these things, then that would make the issues moot.

Thanks.

heavenlyboy34
10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Constitutionally, his duties are limited to enforcing existing laws and signing/vetoing proposed laws. We have learned from the last 16-70 years, however, that laws don't really matter much to big government types. :(

Hey all,

I'm a Christian (non-denominational, but I go to a conservative baptist church).

Lately I have been getting the normal, "Vote Conservative - It's what Jesus would do" kind of emails.

Now personally, I cannot stand McCain or Obama, but according to the "church" - McCain has more standing Biblically-speaking (issues such as abortion, gay marriage, etc)

Obviously, is RP was president, this wouldn't matter, because (if I understand his position correctly) he is pro-life, and would leave most/all of those decisions to the states to decide.

I am curious though - what power does the president have for those issues (abortion, gay marriage, etc.) - if I can get solid evidence (constitutional) that the president doesn't have authority to impose restrictions on these things, then that would make the issues moot.

Thanks.

LittleLightShining
10-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey all,

Thanks.I think of it like this: The fundamentalists pushed Bush into office because he was a so-called pro-life conservative. What has he done on any of these issues that concern you? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

When it all comes down to it it is up to each individual person what they do with their life. They ultimately will have to face their maker. It's not your business or mine or the president's.

A thought to chew on:

Protestantism was the triumph of Paul over Peter, Fundamentalism is the triumph of Paul over Christ. -- Will and Ariel Durant,Caesar and Christ