PDA

View Full Version : NRA endorses McCain. Is this legal?

brandon
10-09-2008, 07:36 AM
The NRA just endorsed McCain.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gNHyi-Dusche-SUEbzEpf4fY9JtQD93N03KG3

The NRA is a 501(c)(4) non-profit

The CFL is also a 501(c)(4) non-profit

At the leadership summit John Tate told us the CFL was not allowed to endorse candidates due to its legal status as a 501(c)(4) non profit.

So what's the deal here? Is the NRA breaking the law? Or is John Tate just a moron?

austin356
10-09-2008, 09:32 AM

At the leadership summit John Tate told us the CFL was not allowed to endorse candidates due to its legal status as a 501(c)(4) non profit.

So what's the deal here? Is the NRA breaking the law? Or is John Tate just a moron?

It was their connected PAC that endorsed him. That is legal.

angelatc
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM

I do non profit accounting. John Tate is a moron.

tonesforjonesbones
10-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Plenty of non profits are endorsing Obama...NOW for one. tones

FrankRep
10-09-2008, 09:54 AM
The NRA PAC's future spending will target Obama on gun issues and start publicizing the records of McCain and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, LaPierre said. McCain's selection of Palin was a plus, LaPierre said.

It's legal.

angelatc
10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
501(c)4's are social welfare organization.

Here's the IRS explanation:
Promoting social welfare does not include direct or indirect participation or intervention in political campaigns on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public of*fice. However, if an or*ganization is organized exclusively to promote social welfare, it may still obtain exemption even if it participates legally in some political activity on behalf of or in opposition to candidates for public office. Political activities may not be the organization's primary activities, however.

heavenlyboy34
10-09-2008, 10:02 AM
it's legal, but whether it is ethical-that's debatable. See my thread, "who owns your fave candidate?"

nobody's_hero
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
If the NRA had endorsed someone like Bob Barr or Chuck Baldwin, yes, it would be illegal.

It is all good though, because the NRA endorsed one of the mainstream candidates. ;)

(I'm just speculatin.' :p)

CurtisLow
10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Join Gun Owners of America http://www.gunowners.org/

GOA "The only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington." -Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

NRA bites!

latkinson6
10-09-2008, 03:55 PM
NRA are hypocrites. they give Barr an A+ and Mcain a C-. then endores the the guy with the lower rating. WTF? morons.

Kludge
10-09-2008, 03:59 PM
NRA are hypocrites. they give Barr an A+ and Mcain a C-. then endores the the guy with the lower rating. WTF? morons.

Rational Choice Theory. People are generally pragmatic, not principled.

What is Obama's rating?

latkinson6
10-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Rational Choice Theory. People are generally pragmatic, not principled.

What is Obama's rating?

I can't remember Obamas rating and I can't find it, but it was less than Mcains.

torchbearer
10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
NRA has a habit of endorsing candidates that have less the great records on gun control.
In my last election, I was rated A+, my opponent rated a C-. They endorsed my opponent.
That should tell you a lot about the NRA and what it's agenda is...

GOA endorsed me over my opponent. Add those numbers up.

Matt Collins
10-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Figures. The NRA are a bunch of whores.

ChickenHawk
10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
I think they only endorsed him because they think Obama is the most ant-gun major party presidential candidate ever. I have little doubt they are correct. Having said that, they really shouldn't have endorsed McCain. This damages what little credibility they have left.

libertarian4321
10-11-2008, 12:29 AM

The NRA endorsed Bush in 2004- which, not coincidentally, was the last year I was a member of the NRA.

The NRA does NOT endorse the most "pro gun candidate", they endorse the most REPUBLICAN candidate, no matter what his stance on gun rights.

The NRA will endorse a Republican with wishy washy support of the 2nd amendment every time, even against a 100% gun rights Libertarian, and even (this is rare, but not unheard of) against a Democrat who supports the 2nd amendment.

Wendi
10-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Am I the only one who distinctly remembers the editorials in the NRA's magazines before the last presidential election? You know, the ones bashing the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill and the provisions affecting political speech in the weeks before an election. The ones openly stating that the provision would be violated. So let me get this straight. FOUR YEARS AGO, McCain was the ultimate enemy of the NRA. Now they're endorsing him???