PDA

View Full Version : Congressman Hensarling May Co-sponsor H.R. 2755

texaspodunk
10-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Who says you can' t be close to government in a small town? In fact, there were less than thirty people in city hall today when Congressman Hensarling came in to debrief us about the last two weeks in Washington. 

:cool:

After we gave him a rousing standing ovation for having the courage to vote against the bailout legislation, he spoke at length about his observations of the current financial crisis. 

He directed blame squarely at Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac, and also spoke very highly of Congressman Brad Sherman from California. He pondered whether, if enough time for deliberation were allowed, he and Congressman Sherman could have drafted a bipartisan counterlegis lation that would have forced financial institutions to purchase insurance on their securities , thus funding, at least partially, a return to solvency for the mortgage market. He lamented the unwillingness of the Democrats to allow substantive debate. 

He said he thought at length on whether the legislation would take our country in the right direction, and he decided that it ultimately did not, although he did admit that House Republicans were able to secure at least a partial protection for taxpayers in the form of stock warrants. Congressman Hensarling could not vote for the bill regardless of those changes, and despite all the doom and gloom being uttered by the Bush administration. 

"If this is something that will have repercussi ons for two generations, we shouldn't be in a rush to make such a decision overnight." Congressman Hensarling said, as he related to us that his two small children are always a factor how he votes. 

Mine was the last question that he took. "Sir, thank you for taking my question." I began. 

"I want to ask you about the Federal Reserve. It's clear to me that there is absolutely no incentive for Congress, either Democrats or Republicans, to be fiscally conservative when the Federal Reserve is set up as a means to monetize any kind of spending, be it pork, or other expansions of government . Without the Federal Reserve in place, the only other way that Congress can secure financing for all of their reckless spending is to raise taxes on Americans. As you know, no Congress that does so could ever survive the next election cycle. Since every time the Federal Reserve creates money for this purpose it creates inflation that ruins our currency, would you support Congressman Ron Paul's House Resolution 2755 to abolish the Federal Reserve and return monetary control to the U.S. Treasury where it belongs?" 

The moment I said Ron Paul's name, he got a look in his eyes, with an expression that said, "Okay, here we go."

The Congressman turned to the room and said, "Boy, Ron Paul really has been a voice in the wilderness for a long time hasn' t he?" He turned back to me. "The truth is that I can' t look you in the eyes and say that i'll support [H. R. 2755] today , but I will look you in the eyes and tell you that this is something that I'm going to be looking at very seriously."

This was my first foray into American politics, and I'm very gratified. The fact that Congressman Hensarling is open minded enough to look into it is a very encouraging sign.

If my district puts enough pressure on our Congressman, and other districts do the same with their Reps, we may get H.R. 2755 out of committee and onto the floor of the House for open debate, which would be a great thing. It will probably not be adopt ed the first time around, but just the discourse would be useful, as it would hopefully illuminate the issue in a way that many in Congress probably haven't invested any thought into as a possible solution to reckless spending, as well as inflation. 

With the fall of the Federal Reserve, so too falls the era of the power of the bankers over the wishes of the American People.
My next task is to scare up a couple copies of "The Creature From Jekyll Island" for my Congressman as a pretext to the wider fact- finding task that he would have to necessitate. Perhaps this State Rep. Bryan Hughes, also present at the meeting, and Hensarling's heir apparent, and I could persuade Congressman Paul to take a puddle jumper up here and speak to folks about his languishing legislation. The more we know, the more powerful and reasoned our collective voice would be in pressuring Congressman Hensarling to cosponsor H.R. 2755.

Inflationary spending through the Federal Reserve is the underlying cause of so much that we want to change, not the least of which is stripping Congress of its accountability for spending, and stripping the American people of direct participation in government discourse.

We need a small cadre of conservatives who have demonstrated that they can't be bought by moneyed interests, like Hensarling has proven to me through the way he voted on the bailout legislation, and articulate that our collective goal is, at first, to just get H.R. 2755 out of committee and debate it. That will pave the way for Congressional testimony from the people who can best articulate the rationale for taking down the Fed.

I'm interested to know how many people in this forum have made any progress with their Representatives with respect to getting co-sponsorship for H.R.2755, if this is even been considered as a strategy.

I'm eager to hear from anyone and everyone on this.. particularly anyone in Hensarling's district, as we should immediately pool our resources.

yours in liberty,

Adam

BarryDonegan
10-08-2008, 11:53 PM
I have had no response from Jim Cooper on the issue, but his republican opponent opposes the IMF and NAFTA and definately is considering voting in favor of removing the federal reserve.

his republican opponent is gerard donovan.

thats cd5, nashville, tn

Knightskye
10-08-2008, 11:59 PM
My Rep isn't seeking re-election this year, so he'd be out of office by the time it would be voted on, if it got out of committee.

And unless a third party Congressional candidate wins, I doubt it.

NewEnd
10-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Fuck insurance on securities. That's just another layer of bureaucracy. Insurnace companies fail just like banks.. look at AIG, why do you think they failed? Because they were insuring risky portfolios.

Pepsi
10-09-2008, 05:27 AM
From Congressman Mike Simpson, who voted for the bailout...

thank you for contacting me regarding the federal reserve (fed). I appreciate hearing from you and having the opportunity to respond.

Founded in 1913, the fed is responsible for conducting the nation’s monetary policy; supervising and regulating banking institutions and protecting the credit rights of consumers; maintaining the stability of the financial system; and providing certain financial services to the u.s. Government, the public, financial institutions, and foreign official institutions.

The chairmanship of the fed, a position currently occupied by ben bernanke, is not an elected position, but is appointed by the president of united states. The fed is designed to conduct monetary policy largely insulated from political pressure. President bush first nominated bernanke as fed chairman in 2006 to replace retiring chairman alan greenspan. As fed chief, he controls u.s. Monetary policy by influencing short-term interest rates and, in turn, the cost of credit to american companies and consumers.

The fed’s policies have played an important role in safeguarding the prosperity of our economy and making stability a manageable goal. In past years, the fed’s risk-weighed monetary initiatives under former chairman greenspan have proven successful in pulling the american economy from the debts of a gargantuan inflation and keeping it active and growing. More recently, the fed has taken a number of steps to reduce the impacts of economic slowdown.

While our views of the fed’s policies may differ, i appreciate your effort to keep me informed of your thoughts. Please continue to keep me informed of other matters of interest to you.

Sincerely,
s
mike simpson
member of congress.

Chester Copperpot
10-09-2008, 05:39 AM

My letter back to him would be "Since youre either too stupid OR paid off by banks.. YOU'RE FIRED."

pacelli
10-09-2008, 05:44 AM
David Price will not support it. However, my next congressman BJ Lawson will support it.

texaspodunk
10-09-2008, 10:09 AM
This is good news for sure. how is Lawson polling right now?

texaspodunk
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
This is very encouraging. How is Donovan polling right now?

cjhowe
10-09-2008, 11:12 AM

I would ask him...Even ignoring the changing of statistical methodology needed to even begin to have a rational conversation on price stability and inflation, how can 40% increases per year in the housing market constitute stability? There's a debate to be had and rational people can disagree on the benefits or necessity of the Federal Reserve, but there is no question on the lack of competency exhibited by the current Fed chairman.

ChaosControl
10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
This Friday evening at the local County GOP HQ my Representative will be there so I can ask her. She voted against the bailout both times, so I will thank her for that and then ask her about her views on H.R. 2755 and urge her to support it.

I doubt she will, even though she opposed the bailout she is a neo-con otherwise, but it will not hurt to ask.

BagOfEyebrows
10-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Who says you can' t be close to government in a small town? In fact, there were less than thirty people in city hall today when Congressman Hensarling came in to debrief us about the last two weeks in Washington. 

:cool:

After we gave him a rousing standing ovation for having the courage to vote against the bailout legislation, he spoke at length about his observations of the current financial crisis. 

He directed blame squarely at Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac, and also spoke very highly of Congressman Brad Sherman from California. He pondered whether, if enough time for deliberation were allowed, he and Congressman Sherman could have drafted a bipartisan counterlegis lation that would have forced financial institutions to purchase insurance on their securities , thus funding, at least partially, a return to solvency for the mortgage market. He lamented the unwillingness of the Democrats to allow substantive debate. 

He said he thought at length on whether the legislation would take our country in the right direction, and he decided that it ultimately did not, although he did admit that House Republicans were able to secure at least a partial protection for taxpayers in the form of stock warrants. Congressman Hensarling could not vote for the bill regardless of those changes, and despite all the doom and gloom being uttered by the Bush administration. 

"If this is something that will have repercussi ons for two generations, we shouldn't be in a rush to make such a decision overnight." Congressman Hensarling said, as he related to us that his two small children are always a factor how he votes. 

Mine was the last question that he took. "Sir, thank you for taking my question." I began. 

"I want to ask you about the Federal Reserve. It's clear to me that there is absolutely no incentive for Congress, either Democrats or Republicans, to be fiscally conservative when the Federal Reserve is set up as a means to monetize any kind of spending, be it pork, or other expansions of government . Without the Federal Reserve in place, the only other way that Congress can secure financing for all of their reckless spending is to raise taxes on Americans. As you know, no Congress that does so could ever survive the next election cycle. Since every time the Federal Reserve creates money for this purpose it creates inflation that ruins our currency, would you support Congressman Ron Paul's House Resolution 2755 to abolish the Federal Reserve and return monetary control to the U.S. Treasury where it belongs?" 

The moment I said Ron Paul's name, he got a look in his eyes, with an expression that said, "Okay, here we go."

The Congressman turned to the room and said, "Boy, Ron Paul really has been a voice in the wilderness for a long time hasn' t he?" He turned back to me. "The truth is that I can' t look you in the eyes and say that i'll support [H. R. 2755] today , but I will look you in the eyes and tell you that this is something that I'm going to be looking at very seriously."

This was my first foray into American politics, and I'm very gratified. The fact that Congressman Hensarling is open minded enough to look into it is a very encouraging sign.

If my district puts enough pressure on our Congressman, and other districts do the same with their Reps, we may get H.R. 2755 out of committee and onto the floor of the House for open debate, which would be a great thing. It will probably not be adopt ed the first time around, but just the discourse would be useful, as it would hopefully illuminate the issue in a way that many in Congress probably haven't invested any thought into as a possible solution to reckless spending, as well as inflation. 

With the fall of the Federal Reserve, so too falls the era of the power of the bankers over the wishes of the American People.
My next task is to scare up a couple copies of "The Creature From Jekyll Island" for my Congressman as a pretext to the wider fact- finding task that he would have to necessitate. Perhaps this State Rep. Bryan Hughes, also present at the meeting, and Hensarling's heir apparent, and I could persuade Congressman Paul to take a puddle jumper up here and speak to folks about his languishing legislation. The more we know, the more powerful and reasoned our collective voice would be in pressuring Congressman Hensarling to cosponsor H.R. 2755.

Inflationary spending through the Federal Reserve is the underlying cause of so much that we want to change, not the least of which is stripping Congress of its accountability for spending, and stripping the American people of direct participation in government discourse.

We need a small cadre of conservatives who have demonstrated that they can't be bought by moneyed interests, like Hensarling has proven to me through the way he voted on the bailout legislation, and articulate that our collective goal is, at first, to just get H.R. 2755 out of committee and debate it. That will pave the way for Congressional testimony from the people who can best articulate the rationale for taking down the Fed.

I'm interested to know how many people in this forum have made any progress with their Representatives with respect to getting co-sponsorship for H.R.2755, if this is even been considered as a strategy.

I'm eager to hear from anyone and everyone on this.. particularly anyone in Hensarling's district, as we should immediately pool our resources.

yours in liberty,

Adam

This is one of the most beautiful actions taken that I have ever read on this forum - kudos to you, and kudos to your congressman for listening and taking time to consider it.

I called my congresswoman's office throughout the weeks, but only got to talk with a staffer - she had voted no on the bailout twice, so I was just extending thanks to her for representing me and the constituiton of the state of New Hampshire. I mailed her a thanks using her website's online form, and then snail mailed her a thank you card along with a print out of Ron Paul's HR2755 and a written appeal that she consider cosponsoring it (found here, at Full Text button: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-2755 )

I'll let you know if I hear anything from her on it - I plan to do a followup by finding out where/when I can meet with her in person, most likely with a copy of Creature From Jeckyll Island as a gift for her as well.

I hope I get the same reception you got with your congress person. I'm so happy for you - it's positive and rational actions like you took that will get things back to good here in the USA. Did anybody film the event? Your speech should be youtubed for posterity!

OferNave
10-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Fuck insurance on securities. That's just another layer of bureaucracy. Insurnace companies fail just like banks.. look at AIG, why do you think they failed? Because they were insuring risky portfolios.

Agreed.

Props to Adam for doing what he did, btw.

georgiaboy
02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Just saw this guy Hensarling on C-Span Washington Journal. Talked pretty good (he's no Ron Paul, but directionally correct), so I went on the forums to see how he voted on TARP. Good to see he voted against it.

Nice to see someone's actions match their words.

Anyone know if he ever stepped up with support of HR2755? I'm guessing not.