PDA

View Full Version : Ever Heard of the Department Of Energy???

bluemarkets
10-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Email I just got .... very telling

> Folks,
>
> I want you all to put your thinking caps on for this one.
>
> Does anybody out there have any memory of the reason given
> for the establishment of the
> DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY...formed during the CARTER
> ADMINISTRATION?
>
> Anybody?
> Anything?
> No?
> Did not think so!
>
> Bottom line.....we have spent several hundreds of billion
> dollars in support of an agency the
> reason which not one person can remember.
>
> Ready? Very simple, and at the time everybody thought it
> was a terrific idea.
>
> The Department of Energy(DOE) located at 1000 Independence
> Ave was instituted on
> August 4th, 1977 TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON
> FOREIGN OIL!!!!
>
> PRETTY EFFICIENT HUH?
>
> NOW 31 YEARS LATER THE DOE HAS A BUDGET OF $24.2 BILLION A
> YEAR, THERE ARE
> 16,000 EMPLOYEES AND OVER 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES!!
>
> WHAT A GREAT JOB THEY HAVE DONE!! HOW ABOUT THAT FOR A SLAP
> IN THE TAX
> PAYER'S FACE? THEY REALLY DO THINK WE ARE ALL STUPID.
>
> THINK ABOUT ALL THE OTHER PROGRAMS THAT WASTE OUR TAX $$$
> BEFORE YOU VOTE.

DirtMcGirt
10-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Do you have a site where you can easily see how much each department gets in funds?

never mind... found it!

http://fms.treas.gov/webservices/show/?ciURL=/dts/08100600.pdf
http://www.federalbudget.com/

Jeremy
10-08-2008, 10:13 PM
And then there's Carter's other creation... Dep. of Education

ShowMeLiberty
10-08-2008, 10:16 PM
The Department of Energy does more than just "lessen our dependence on foreign oil". There is a large company here in Kansas City that contracts work from DOE and it is mostly national defense type work (i.e. building weapons systems, in whole or in part).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Department_of_Energy
The United States Department of Energy (DOE) is a Cabinet-level department of the United States government responsible for energy policy and nuclear safety. Its responsibilities include the nation's nuclear weapons program, nuclear reactor production for the United States Navy, energy conservation, energy-related research, radioactive waste disposal, and domestic energy production. DOE also sponsors more basic and applied scientific research than any other US federal agency; most of this is funded through its system of United States Department of Energy National Laboratories.

That all being said, I have no doubt that a great deal of waste and "fat" could be trimmed from the DOE budget, as it could from many other government departments.

Pauls' Revere
10-08-2008, 10:16 PM
My God...

no wonder were soooo screwed.

wonderful info.

fr33domfightr
10-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Email I just got .... very telling

> Folks,
>
> I want you all to put your thinking caps on for this one.
>
> Does anybody out there have any memory of the reason given
> for the establishment of the
> DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY...formed during the CARTER
> ADMINISTRATION?
>
> Anybody?
> Anything?
> No?
> Did not think so!
>
> Bottom line.....we have spent several hundreds of billion
> dollars in support of an agency the
> reason which not one person can remember.
>
> Ready? Very simple, and at the time everybody thought it
> was a terrific idea.
>
> The Department of Energy(DOE) located at 1000 Independence
> Ave was instituted on
> August 4th, 1977 TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON
> FOREIGN OIL!!!!
>
> PRETTY EFFICIENT HUH?
>
> NOW 31 YEARS LATER THE DOE HAS A BUDGET OF $24.2 BILLION A
> YEAR, THERE ARE
> 16,000 EMPLOYEES AND OVER 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES!!
>
> WHAT A GREAT JOB THEY HAVE DONE!! HOW ABOUT THAT FOR A SLAP
> IN THE TAX
> PAYER'S FACE? THEY REALLY DO THINK WE ARE ALL STUPID.
>
> THINK ABOUT ALL THE OTHER PROGRAMS THAT WASTE OUR TAX $$$
> BEFORE YOU VOTE.

This is so true. Most people probably didn't know how many employees that department had. This department is a totally excellent thing to bring up at the next presidential debate!! Surprise the main 2 (since no one else will be there), with this question:

"Regarding the DOE, it was instituted on August 4th, 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil!! Now, 31 years later the DOE has a budget of $24.2 Billion a year, there are 16,000 employees and over 100,000 contract employees, AND WE ARE MORE DEPENDENT ON FOREIGN OIL THEN EVER IN OUR HISTORY. What do you have to say about this?!?!"

I know, they'd sleaze there way out with some BS answer.

FF

Cleaner44
10-08-2008, 10:19 PM
This just proves what Dr. Paul has taught us. These govt agencies aren't worth shit!

Otter Mii-kun
10-08-2008, 10:31 PM
The Department of Energy should be disbanded-especially since its policies are now a big farce-I wouldn't be surprised if such policies were written by Enron officials back in 2001 through the "Energy Task Force".

And then there's Carter's other creation... Dep. of Education
The Department of Education especially should be abolished also, as well as "Homeland Security"! (Are we any more secure now than we were before 9/11 and the agency's creation? NO!)

Conza88
10-08-2008, 10:35 PM
The growth of government continues unabated with every administration.

sratiug
10-08-2008, 10:44 PM
The Department of Energy does more than just "lessen our dependence on foreign oil". There is a large company here in Kansas City that contracts work from DOE and it is mostly national defense type work (i.e. building weapons systems, in whole or in part).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Department_of_Energy
The United States Department of Energy (DOE) is a Cabinet-level department of the United States government responsible for energy policy and nuclear safety. Its responsibilities include the nation's nuclear weapons program, nuclear reactor production for the United States Navy, energy conservation, energy-related research, radioactive waste disposal, and domestic energy production. DOE also sponsors more basic and applied scientific research than any other US federal agency; most of this is funded through its system of United States Department of Energy National Laboratories.

That all being said, I have no doubt that a great deal of waste and "fat" could be trimmed from the DOE budget, as it could from many other government departments.

You seem to be showing that our nuclear energy program is not for peaceful purposes. Now we have to invade ourselves, damnit.

RSLudlum
10-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Don't forget the "Carter Doctrine" either!!!!!

President Jimmy Carter
State of the Union Address
Jan. 23, 1980

The region which is now threatened by Soviet troops in Afghanistan is of great strategic importance: It contains more than two-thirds of the world's exportable oil. The Soviet effort to dominate Afghanistan has brought Soviet military forces to within 300 miles of the Indian Ocean and close to the Straits of Hormuz, a waterway through which most of the world's oil must flow. The Soviet Union is now attempting to consolidate a strategic position, therefore, that poses a grave threat to the free movement of Middle East oil.

This situation demands careful thought, steady nerves, and resolute action, not only for this year but for many years to come. It demands collective efforts to meet this new threat to security in the Persian Gulf and in Southwest Asia. It demands the participation of all those who rely on oil from the Middle East and who are concerned with global peace and stability. And it demands consultation and close cooperation with countries in the area which might be threatened.

Meeting this challenge will take national will, diplomatic and political wisdom, economic sacrifice, and, of course, military capability. We must call on the best that is in us to preserve the security of this crucial region.

Let our position be absolutely clear: An attempt by any outside force to gain control of the Persian Gulf region will be regarded as an assault on the vital interests of the United States of America, and such an assault will be repelled by any means necessary, including military force.

EvilEngineer
10-08-2008, 11:29 PM
The DOE has been around since well before Carter. Los Alamos and all nuclear related research was under the department of energy, though then it was called the Atomic Energy commission back before 1974.

BarryDonegan
10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
spread the word :)

acptulsa
10-09-2008, 06:06 AM
My sister used to work there. The DOE is much like ED in that both take our tax money (or national debt) and give it back to our states (or the businesses and universities in our states in the case of DOE) according to our abilities to write grant proposal and jump through hoops. Their scope spreads far and wide; they underwrite quite a bit of superconductor research, for example. Their building is one of those Washington monolithic blocks chock full of staffers.

Talk about the federal government in education--it isn't just the ED. The DOE has a huge influence on scientific graduate-level study, and they're one of many agencies that disburse our money to universities according to their criteria. And as for corporate welfare for the oil companies, well, the DOE is the place where they first apply...

mrd
10-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Last summer I worked as an intern in a university research dept which had DOE-funded projects. It seemed a majority of grad students there were foreign. Sure, DOE gets their data, but how far will a single project's data go compared to the experience gained by grad students and exchange students.

Seems odd that taxpayer-funded research experience is gained by mostly foreigners.. Wouldn't it be more productive to fund said experience for American citizens who can utilize gained skills and knowledge in the domestic economy?

I wonder if private research funding takes into account such things..

fr33domfightr
10-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Last summer I worked as an intern in a university research dept which had DOE-funded projects. It seemed a majority of grad students there were foreign. Sure, DOE gets their data, but how far will a single project's data go compared to the experience gained by grad students and exchange students.

Seems odd that taxpayer-funded research experience is gained by mostly foreigners.. Wouldn't it be more productive to fund said experience for American citizens who can utilize gained skills and knowledge in the domestic economy?

This is totally wack. Our government is totally inept! If you were to ask them what's going on, they couldn't even tell you!!

FF

fr33domfightr
10-09-2008, 08:40 AM

This is totally wack. Our government is totally inept! If you were to ask one employee what's going on across the isle, THEY couldn't even tell you!!

FF

acptulsa
10-09-2008, 08:41 AM

The only Americans who can afford a decent college education in prep for grad school are the spoiled brats.

They go to B-school.