PDA

View Full Version : Just got a call from my Congressman's staff

Elwar
10-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Ok, so during this whole bailout thing I e-mailed my Congressman. I told him that as precinct chairman and Texas state Republican delegate I was unhappy with his first vote on the bailout (he voted for it) and that if he voted for it again that he was going to lose ALL of my HUGE support and campaigning for him (so I'm in the middle of moving and wouldn't have supported him anyway...but anyway..).

So I got a call from one of his staff telling me that the Congressman told him to call me. I think he thought that he could just convince me by laying out the tired party line about how necessary the bailout was and started by saying "a lot of people are uninformed about the bailout....". I laid it right back on him about what a terrible decision it was going into the economy and the history of government intervention and how it always ends up being worse off in the long run. Needless to say, once the guy realized that he was getting nowhere with me he just told me that the Congressman would be sending me a "personal" mail. I told him that it was unfortunate that he voted the way he did because he lost all of my support. He said he'd pass it on to the Congressman.

TruthAtLast
10-08-2008, 06:11 PM
well done. Hold these guys accountable.

InterestedParticipant
10-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I think he thought that he could just convince me by laying out the tired party line about how necessary the bailout was and started by saying "a lot of people are uninformed about the bailout...."
I wonder what it is that they all think we do not understand? Could there be something that they are not telling us, or is it simply their arrogance talking? Or, is it the need for the taxpayer to keep on supporting ACORN's illegitimate registration of inner city voters?
:)

Matt Collins
10-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Yep - I have sent e-mails and made phone calls. No personal responses though.

james1844
10-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Guys,

Just a thought here...this is why it makes sense to get involved in the party. Once you get some influence you can begin to have meaningful discussions with your representatives in way that you can't if you're not involved.

Ok, so during this whole bailout thing I e-mailed my Congressman. I told him that as precinct chairman and Texas state Republican delegate I was unhappy with his first vote on the bailout (he voted for it) and that if he voted for it again that he was going to lose ALL of my HUGE support and campaigning for him (so I'm in the middle of moving and wouldn't have supported him anyway...but anyway..).

So I got a call from one of his staff telling me that the Congressman told him to call me. I think he thought that he could just convince me by laying out the tired party line about how necessary the bailout was and started by saying "a lot of people are uninformed about the bailout....". I laid it right back on him about what a terrible decision it was going into the economy and the history of government intervention and how it always ends up being worse off in the long run. Needless to say, once the guy realized that he was getting nowhere with me he just told me that the Congressman would be sending me a "personal" mail. I told him that it was unfortunate that he voted the way he did because he lost all of my support. He said he'd pass it on to the Congressman.

BarryDonegan
10-08-2008, 11:43 PM
totally. influence.

libertarian4321
10-09-2008, 09:59 AM

I'm surprised he bothered.

The only Republican congressman in San Antonio is Lamar Smith- been in office for decades in a district that is overwhelmingly Republican. As usual, he doesn't even have so much as a token Democratic opponent.

His only opponent is a Libertarian, who has raised about $2,000. Smith has over $1,000,000 in his war chest.

What I've never figured out, how do these guys, who never even have opponents, spend money? Smith has supposedly spent $750,000 even though he , really, has no opponent. What the hell is the deal with that- they get money from lobbyists, then spend it on parties or something? You know he's not spending it on advertising.

fr33domfightr
10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm surprised he bothered.

The only Republican congressman in San Antonio is Lamar Smith- been in office for decades in a district that is overwhelmingly Republican. As usual, he doesn't even have so much as a token Democratic opponent.

His only opponent is a Libertarian, who has raised about $2,000. Smith has over $1,000,000 in his war chest.

What I've never figured out, how do these guys, who never even have opponents, spend money? Smith has supposedly spent $750,000 even though he , really, has no opponent. What the hell is the deal with that- they get money from lobbyists, then spend it on parties or something? You know he's not spending it on advertising.

It would be nice to have some type of money bomb for that Libertarian opponent. I'd love to shake up the status quo in places like that!!!

FF

Bill M DC
10-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Kudos everyone for faxing, calling and e-mailing your reps.

Now, if you really want to make an impact, instead of coming to DC on the weekend and marching down Constitution Ave. to the Capitol (I had a great time btw) let's organize once more and here's how imo it should go.

1. Organize in conjunction with DC residents. Those of us in the DC activist community come from many different political persuasions but work together pretty well when it comes to the common interest. Plus we have a lot of collective organizational experience and skill sets.

2. Converge on DC just like we did before but in the middle of the week this time. Reason? Congress, staffers and MSM go home to the burbs on the weekend. You can bring millions but the impact is severely lessened due to the FACT that nobody's in town.

3. Line up outside your reps office door at the Rayburn, Cannon and Longworth House Office Buildings and tell their staff that We the People are here to serve notice to Rep. X.

4. Let your Rep. know face to face what We the People are expecting and that they have been found deficient.

5. Let your Rep. know that if We the People have to come back again due to said Reps. deficiency, ineptitude, lying, theft and ( fill in your own words) that it will not be on such civil terms. "Sir /Ma'am America is in trouble and if you don't man/woman up then We the People are gonna have to!"

We the People of Washington, DC are just as fed up as the rest of you. We are here waiting for the rest of you to get your tails out to DC and help us make a difference!