PDA

View Full Version : Flashmobs and TV cameras

Sojourner
05-29-2007, 02:56 AM
I've never participated in a flashmob, so I only have a basic understanding of the concept, which is simple enough:

A text or email message or some other form of instant communication goes out to a group of people announcing an instant gathering somewhere in the very near or immediate future, and this gathering only lasts for a very short time, often only a few minutes duration.

I was thinking this concept would be perfect for taking up space in front of TV cameras. Think of the exposure! And it's FREE!!!

See a TV reporter on the side of the road getting ready for a standup on the 5:00 or 6:00 PM local news? You KNOW within a 30 minute window what time he or she is going to be doing their live stand-up - flashmob 'em! Please note: the TV remote vans generally set up at least 30 - 45 minutes before the beginning of a boardcast - they're kinda hard to miss with their mast or dish fully deployed ready to broadcast, even though some are in unmarked, plain wrappers.

Determine where the TV cameras are going to be and flashmob them anywhere and everywhere. Think of it as stalking wild game. Carry your signs around in your trunk ready to dispatch to a location at a moment's notice.

Hmmm....the possibilities! Flashmobs have great potential for a whole lot of cheap and easy exposure, IMO.

Texan4Life
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Hmmm... the problem I see is that you can't be to sure about what they are going to be doing a story about. If the reporters or talking about the recent flooding and are like "well poor so-and-so had their car swept off a low water crossing and hasn't been found yet"... or... "a local liquor was robbed last night." and in the background there are some people holding up RP signs. I can't see that doing any good.

but.. If you could tell they were going to be talking about something political or even better, a candidate, then that could possibly be some good exposure.

Sojourner
05-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Of course folks should use their best judgement, Texan.

If a TV reportter is doing a stand-up in front of City Hall, outside the City Council chambers, the Capitol, or some other government building, most likely it involves politics. And if on the side of the road with moving cars in the frame it also likely involves politics, at least that which involves traffic and road issues.