PDA

View Full Version : Palin e-mail hacker (evil doer) brought to justice (lol)

ghengis86
10-08-2008, 01:19 PM
FYI,

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/08/palin.hacker/index.html

If a citizen does this to a government official, its a crime. If the government does this to a citizen, its crime prevention. How twisted our times have become.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The son of a Democratic Tennessee state legislator pleaded not guilty Wednesday to hacking a personal e-mail account belonging to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, said a spokeswoman for federal prosecutors.

David Kernell, 20, leaves the federal courthouse Wednesday in Knoxville, Tennessee.

1 of 2 David Kernell, 20, son of state Rep. Mike Kernell of Memphis, Tennessee, surrendered to federal authorities "as soon as we found out about the charges this morning," his attorney, Wade Davies, told reporters after Wednesday's arraignment in Knoxville before U.S. Magistrate Judge C. Clifford Shirley.

Kernell entered the not guilty plea at the hearing, the spokeswoman for prosecutors said. He was released on bond, and a trial date was set for December 16, Davies said.

A federal grand jury on Tuesday indicted Kernell on a single count of "intentionally accessing without authorization" the e-mail account of the GOP vice presidential candidate, the Justice Department said. The indictment was unsealed Wednesday.

Some of the contents of Palin's e-mail account were displayed briefly last month on the Internet. These messages did not contain significant political disclosures, but the McCain-Palin campaign called the incident "a shocking invasion of the governor's privacy and a violation of law."

FBI agents searched Kernell's Knoxville home over the September 20-21 weekend, federal law enforcement sources said.

Don't Miss
Read the Indictment (PDF)
Agents search apartment in Palin e-mail investigation
According to the indictment, Kernell allegedly was able to access Palin's e-mail by resetting the password. He then allegedly read the contents and made screenshots of the e-mail directory and other personal information, the indictment said.

"The personal information included, and was not limited to, other e-mail addresses of family members, pictures of family members, at least one cell phone number of a family member, the dates of birth of Governor Palin and another family member, and Governor Palin's address book," the indictment said.

The screenshots were posted to a public Web site, and Kernell is alleged also to have posted the newly created password to that site allowing others to access Palin's e-mail account, it said.

The charge carries a maximum five-year prison term, a $250,000 fine and a three-year term of supervised release upon conviction, according to the Justice Department

constitutional
10-08-2008, 01:36 PM
"a shocking invasion of the governor's privacy and a violation of law."

Oh the irony. I'd personally would have liked to see more controversial emails. Maybe then they will understand what it means to have privacy.

Furthermore, the defendant should say "I was just making sure she was not a terrorist. She should not worry if she has nothing to hide."

gls
10-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Hmm...maybe if she were intelligent enough to use a more complicated password than "popcorn" this never would've happened.

nobody's_hero
10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I thought the password was 'lipstick'

afmatt
10-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Here lies a problem. Many of you seem to think that because of the position she was in that she "deserved this" when that is not the case.

What if Ron Paul had had his personal email hacked into? Ya'll would have been calling for this guys head on a platter with a side dish of his nuts.

He broke the law. He got caught. He pays the consequences - seems rather simple to me.

micahnelson
10-08-2008, 01:49 PM
He didn't hack anything. He asked Yahoo for the password, and they gave it to him.

I believe Yahoo is to blame for giving away private information.

Also, Patriot Act.

nobody's_hero
10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Here lies a problem. Many of you seem to think that because of the position she was in that she "deserved this" when that is not the case.

What if Ron Paul had had his personal email hacked into? Ya'll would have been calling for this guys head on a platter with a side dish of his nuts.

He broke the law. He got caught. He pays the consequences - seems rather simple to me.

No one deserves it. We're simply emphasizing irony that the McCain campaign wants to decry this act (in feigned horror, no less) because her privacy and freedoms or whatever were infringed upon, while running on a platform that proposes infringements upon the rights of a few hundred million Americans.

Then there's the whole Jefferson quote about people-fear-government=tyranny or government-fears-people=liberty type attitude going around, so . . .

speciallyblend
10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
well they better not subpoena palin,she will not show;)

hell she already is ignoring one from alaska.

so no worries we do not have to answer subpoenas anymore palin says so;)

afmatt
10-08-2008, 02:07 PM
He didn't hack anything. He asked Yahoo for the password, and they gave it to him.

I believe Yahoo is to blame for giving away private information.

Also, Patriot Act.

He didn't hack anything? A hacker is not only someone that uses code to get what he wants. A true hacker is a seeker of information, a master of not only coding but social engineering and blending the two when needing. In this case once he had the needed information he was able to social engineer the yahoo form into giving him access to Gov. Palins password - that's a hack in my mind.

No one deserves it. We're simply emphasizing irony that the McCain campaign wants to decry this act (in feigned horror, no less) because her privacy and freedoms or whatever were infringed upon, while running on a platform that proposes infringements upon the rights of a few hundred million Americans.

Then there's the whole Jefferson quote about people-fear-government=tyranny or government-fears-people=liberty type attitude going around, so . . .

Agreed - it's very ironic to the point of almost being funny.

ghengis86
10-08-2008, 02:10 PM

1. where did anyone say she "deserved this"?
2. so what if we call for the supposed RP e-mail hackers head. i don't think anybody is contesting the law here, just the double standard.
3. government breaks the law (u.s. constitution). government gets caught (sneak and peak anyone?). government gets a raise and more power. seems rather simple to me.

I think we're pointing out the terrible irony here, regardless of arbitrarily enforced laws
:)

Vote Waterman 2028
10-08-2008, 02:11 PM
"a shocking invasion of the governor's privacy and a violation of law."

Oh the irony. I'd personally would have liked to see more controversial emails. Maybe then they will understand what it means to have privacy.

Furthermore, the defendant should say "I was just making sure she was not a terrorist. She should not worry if she has nothing to hide."

Exactly what i was thinking. That would have been the perfect response. Then they would say that he did not have the authority to do so, and he could say that the phone and internet companies did not have the right to give up there customers information to the government even if they did have the authority.

Blowback
10-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't really think it should be illegal. The law is kind of a joke.

Instead, companies should differintiate themselves by the amount of security they provide and people should pick secure passwords. If a communication really needs to be secure maybe you shouldn't be using yahoo email. No more nanny state please.

kojirodensetsu
10-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Imo going through the 'forgot password' function is not hacking since you are not manipulating the site in any way.

micahnelson
10-08-2008, 02:33 PM
He didn't hack anything? A hacker is not only someone that uses code to get what he wants. A true hacker is a seeker of information, a master of not only coding but social engineering and blending the two when needing. In this case once he had the needed information he was able to social engineer the yahoo form into giving him access to Gov. Palins password - that's a hack in my mind.

Social Engineering is another form of lying or being a con artist. I get annoyed when liars and conmen get called "hackers".

I'm not saying he is innocent or unworthy of some form of punishment- I'm just saying that Yahoo carries an enormous amount of the blame here.

For instance, if I hire a bouncer to guard the door and someone kills my bouncer and walks in- you blame the attacker.

If I hire a bouncer to guard the door, and someone walks up and says "Hey, I'm allowed to be in there". Well, of course the liar is responsible- but if the bouncer lets them in they are to blame for their negligence.

I don't like how corporations get coddled and some liar on 4chan gets hailed as a "talented hacker".

lasenorita
10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Sarah Palin never thought of herself as an investigator.

Yet there she was, hacking uncomfortably into Randy Ruedrich's computer, looking for evidence that the state Republican Party boss had broken the state ethics law while a member of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission.

:confused:

See Palin explains her actions in Ruedrich case (http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/510276.html).

micahnelson
10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
:confused:

See Palin explains her actions in Ruedrich case (http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/510276.html).

Say it ain't so, Sarah. Is she a ruthless hacker too?

lasenorita
10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Is she a ruthless hacker too?

Well, not really (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/08/is-sarah-palin.html). ;)

Flash
10-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Ron Paul doesn't even know what an email is.

lasenorita
10-08-2008, 04:01 PM

Except for the ones he sends to my inbox. :rolleyes:

ghengis86
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM

okay, i don't care who you are, that's funny!

Flash
10-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I thought the password was 'lipstick'

She keeps getting dumber by the day.