PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barr, the Best Libertarian Candidate Ever

Bradley in DC
10-08-2008, 07:32 AM
http://www.nolanchart.com/article5113.html

Last in my series of columns predicting "if the election were held today" how many votes Barr, Nader, Baldwin and McKinney would get as of one month before the election (well, end-September really).

(No, polls are not "predictive" but give a glimpse at a snapshot in time.)

Conza88
10-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Bob Barr, the Best Libertarian Candidate Ever......

Hahaha... Um, no... Ron Paul in 1988.... :cool:

Bradley in DC
10-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Bob Barr, the Best Libertarian Candidate Ever......

Hahaha... Um, no... Ron Paul in 1988.... :cool:

Ed Clark got more votes and a higher percentage. Did you even read the article? :p

Conza88
10-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Ed Clark got more votes and a higher percentage. Did you even read the article? :p

:o Whose he? lol.. Ok, best former Libertarian Candidate ever... Ron Paul.

Hehe :D

Bradley in DC
10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
:o Whose he? lol.. Ok, best former Libertarian Candidate ever... Ron Paul.

Hehe :D

Ron Paul was my first Libertarian vote! :)

And best in many, many ways (unfortunately he didn't have a gazillionaire vice-presidential candidate buying prime time slots to run LP infomercials...)

Aratus
10-08-2008, 08:55 AM
i swear i just saw a song and dance act last nite where there was only
a nominal awareness by the two main contenders of the TRES seriousness
of the economic situation we are in... like now to see both contenders do
the ol' soft shoe AROUND how serious this is, and yes... the NIKKEI dips 950 pts
last nite and this ain't fait accompli --- so does Bob Barr plan to face head-on these
impersonations of poor herbert hoover we all saw last night? like i REALLY feel
that we just got nice ol' monsieur hoover at 47 verses wise ol' hoover at 71
and i don't mean J.~Edgar i mean H-E-R-B-E-R-T HOOVER! yep! ol' herbert hoover!!
just have your guy Bob Barr say something to all this, Bradley in D.C... PLEASE!!!

JosephTheLibertarian
10-08-2008, 09:05 AM
the ol' soft shoe AROUND how serious this is, and yes... the NIKKEI dips 950 pts
last nite and this ain't fait accompli --- so does Bob Barr plan to face head-on these
and i don't mean J.~Edgar i mean H-E-R-B-E-R-T HOOVER! yep! ol' herbert hoover!!
just have your guy Bob Barr say something to all this, Bradley in D.C... PLEASE!!!

You never any sense.

Truth Warrior
10-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Bob Barr, the Best Libertarian Candidate Ever

Well that really ain't saying much of ANY significance or relevance.<IMHO> :rolleyes:

acptulsa
10-08-2008, 09:11 AM

You make perfect sense.

Quantity vs. quality. The fact that no LP presidential candidate ever pulled higher poll numbers simply indicates that, whether or not he's the right guy, Bob Barr has the right timing.

Ron Paul was my second vote for a LP candidate for president, and in the early/middle of a bunch of Libertarian votes over the years. I liked voting for him so much that I registered Republican eight months ago just so I could vote for him again.

Bob Barr ain't no Ron Paul. He just ain't. If he were, he'd address himself to the issues that the mainstream candidates don't want to touch, as Aratus said.

Aratus
10-08-2008, 12:26 PM
j edgar hoover was our FBI director for the longest time.
i could also have meantioned the vacuum cleaner people.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/hh31.html
the can-do herbert hoover whose wisdom was acclaimed due to his
47 years of life experiance was the guy people soon voted for in 1928...
this leads into the sadder, older and slightly wiser yet less can-do
herbert hoover of almost 70 years of life experiance, who leaves office
in 1933 only to wait another 20 years before seeing the DOW at 1000

i was contrasting a younger herbert hoover at age 47 with obama ...and an older,
wiser less optimistic herbert hoover with john mccain... all equally clueless as to WHY...

Aratus
10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
if he connects with this issue before
nader, baldwin and mckinney do...
if he has a wise EXPLANATION of
the debacle that rings true... the one
ron paul has repeatedly warned us
about that was coming... the one we are now
inside... if bob barr for once connects...up

if... he can...

yes... i feel bob barr can connect on this issue.
it seems a taboo subject. i saw the two last nite
really REALLY ducked the whole intense subject...

acptulsa
10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
yes... i feel bob barr can connect on this issue.
it seems a taboo subject. i saw the two last nite
really REALLY ducked the whole intense subject...

Disconcerting how he acts like a major party candidate, isn't it? Where's the percentage in fighting fire with fire when you're the matchstick maker and the others are the masters of napalm?

Bradley in DC
10-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Bob Barr, the Best Libertarian Candidate Ever

Well that really ain't saying much of ANY significance or relevance.<IMHO> :rolleyes:

We all have our standards :p

Bradley in DC
10-08-2008, 01:03 PM
You make perfect sense.

Quantity vs. quality. The fact that no LP presidential candidate ever pulled higher poll numbers simply indicates that, whether or not he's the right guy, Bob Barr has the right timing.

Ron Paul was my second vote for a LP candidate for president, and in the early/middle of a bunch of Libertarian votes over the years. I liked voting for him so much that I registered Republican eight months ago just so I could vote for him again.

Bob Barr ain't no Ron Paul. He just ain't. If he were, he'd address himself to the issues that the mainstream candidates don't want to touch, as Aratus said.

I wrote a series of columns looking at the four main minor parties' electoral prospects. The analysis and adjectives chosen reflect that context.

No, Barr is no Ron Paul, but for nearly all of us, that is no longer an option. If I lived in Louisiana, I would happily vote for Dr. Paul again.

Barr is addressing the financial crisis, but that conversation belongs in another thread.

Truth Warrior
10-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Deliberate Dumbing Down of America - E Book download is NOW FREE TO ALL!!!
Right click and "Save Link As"
Click here to begin download
File is 6.75 MB (http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/MomsPDFs/DDDoA.sml.pdf)

nobody's_hero
10-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I think as far as getting record-breaking votes for the Libertarian party goes, Bob Barr will go down in history as the best libertarian candidate ever.

As far as effectively representing libertarian ideas, I'd say he's probably the worst.

It is a very tricky situation for the Libertarian Party. Sure, you can pick someone a little more "mainstream" in order to appeal to more voters, but, then those voters are going to morph your party into something you don't want. It works better to educate the voters as to what all of their options are, and let them change their own minds (Liberty, for instance, is an option most voters are ignorant of).

Look at the Republican Party:

They knew they'd have to pick a candidate who could snatch up those independent voters, so, they picked some candidate who appealed more to the independents and sexist liberals (the Hillary crowd). At the time, they thought they could make a few very minor sacrifices of conservative views and adopt just enough liberal views to solidify the support of that crowd.

It backfired royally: the (neo)Republican Party now has a bail-out supporting, pro- market-intervention candidate who spends money on war like it is going out of style, and is royally blowing it with conservatives who are not blinded by party loyalty — McCain is not a conservative.

I hope the Libertarian party gets the votes it needs to get on the playing field during the next election, but, at the same time, I hope they also have a REAL libertarian candidate in 2012.

mitty
10-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I think as far as getting record-breaking votes for the Libertarian party goes, Bob Barr will go down in history as the best libertarian candidate ever.

As far as effectively representing libertarian ideas, I'd say he's probably the worst.

It is a very tricky situation for the Libertarian Party. Sure, you can pick someone a little more "mainstream" in order to appeal to more voters, but, then those voters are going to morph your party into something you don't want. It works better to educate the voters as to what all of their options are, and let them change their own minds (Liberty, for instance, is an option most voters are ignorant of).

Look at the Republican Party:

They knew they'd have to pick a candidate who could snatch up those independent voters, so, they picked some candidate who appealed more to the independents and sexist liberals (the Hillary crowd). At the time, they thought they could make a few very minor sacrifices of conservative views and adopt just enough liberal views to solidify the support of that crowd.

It backfired royally: the (neo)Republican Party now has a bail-out supporting, pro- market-intervention candidate who spends money on war like it is going out of style, and is royally blowing it with conservatives who are not blinded by party loyalty McCain is not a conservative.

I hope the Libertarian party gets the votes it needs to get on the playing field during the next election, but, at the same time, I hope they also have a REAL libertarian candidate in 2012.

i agree. yet if the libertarian party runs an actual libertarian in 2012, they will not get as many votes. the reason barr is getting more support than past libertarian party candidates aint because he is principled and intelligent like ron paul. its because he is a conservative. not a conservative in the mold of the old right, but a conservative in the mold of newt gingrich. he is more accpetable to mainstream. if the "party of principle" wants to stay relevent, they need to change their message to a more conservative message. barr has already begun the transformation.

Spirit of '76
10-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Bob Barr has squandered an awesome opportunity.

It's possible that it's just his ego that his led him down the path to dividing this movement, but a little voice in my head keeps telling me that the CIA agent in Barr is doing its job well.

heavenlyboy34
10-09-2008, 12:52 PM
+1776

i think as far as getting record-breaking votes for the libertarian party goes, bob barr will go down in history as the best libertarian candidate ever.

As far as effectively representing libertarian ideas, i'd say he's probably the worst.

It is a very tricky situation for the libertarian party. Sure, you can pick someone a little more "mainstream" in order to appeal to more voters, but, then those voters are going to morph your party into something you don't want. It works better to educate the voters as to what all of their options are, and let them change their own minds (liberty, for instance, is an option most voters are ignorant of).

Look at the republican party:

They knew they'd have to pick a candidate who could snatch up those independent voters, so, they picked some candidate who appealed more to the independents and sexist liberals (the hillary crowd). At the time, they thought they could make a few very minor sacrifices of conservative views and adopt just enough liberal views to solidify the support of that crowd.

It backfired royally: The (neo)republican party now has a bail-out supporting, pro- market-intervention candidate who spends money on war like it is going out of style, and is royally blowing it with conservatives who are not blinded by party loyalty mccain is not a conservative.

I hope the libertarian party gets the votes it needs to get on the playing field during the next election, but, at the same time, i hope they also have a real libertarian candidate in 2012.