PDA

View Full Version : Cancel your subscription to the Weekly Standard

Cowlesy
09-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Garbage Fred Barnes, just pure garbage.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/065dbylu.asp

A squabble over Iraq between Ron Paul, who wants an immediate evacuation of U.S. troops, and Mike Huckabee was noisier and more emotional, but it showed what we already knew: Paul rants and Huckabee can hold his own.

Paul, who got in the most words last night, should debate Democrat Mike Gravel, he said. Both are marginal candidates and scolds. And both interfere with the give-and-take among the more serious candidates.

JoshLowry
09-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Paul, who got in the most words last night, should debate Democrat Mike Gravel, he said. Both are marginal candidates and scolds. And both interfere with the give-and-take among the more serious candidates.

That's sad. Hell, let's keep this thread bumped and get it 3,000 or 4,000 views.

If I had a subscription it would be cancelled. :D

Cowlesy
09-06-2007, 09:00 AM
B.

U.

M.

P.

nexalacer
09-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Uh, hasn't the Weekly Standard been a neo-con rag for years? I can assure you I've never had a subscription to cancel.

angelatc
09-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Barnes isn't saying that. He was quoting Giuliani.

BuddyRey
09-06-2007, 09:03 AM
That's Bill "PNAC" Kristol's magazine. I'm not surprised one bit to see this excrement flying off the pages of that publication.

Spike Kojima
09-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Uh, hasn't the Weekly Standard been a neo-con rag for years? I can assure you I've never had a subscription to cancel.

I think this would be the sentiment of most Paul supporters.

Cowlesy
09-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Barnes said: Both are marginal candidates and scolds. And both interfere with the give-and-take among the more serious candidates.

Giuliani made the comment about debating Gravel.

Believe it or not, not everyone on this board is a dyed-in-the-wool Libertarian. I've had a subscription to the Weekly Standard forever as I used to believe in their garbage. True I haven't read it much since I learned about Ron Paul, but Barnes' commentary was the perfect impetus to finally bother cancelling it.

max
09-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Weekly Standard is Bill Kristol's magazine.

Bill Krystol is the son of Irving Kristol - the "godfather" of neoconservatism.

Papa Kristol was once an open Marxist. In the late 70's, he and a bunch of other "intellectuals" suddenly proclaimed that they were Republicans now. The traditional GOP conservatives welcomed these defectors with open arms and promoted them to their followers.

25 years later, the Kristol mafia now owns the GOP and the Ron Pauls of the GOP were thrown overboard. This was a deliberate "trolling" and infiltration operation.

Wikipedia actually has some good stuff on "neoconservatives"

Now that RP has named them...expect him to be accused of "anti-semitsim"

speciallyblend
09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
bump

Anti Federalist
12-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Ron's still here, but Bill's all gone...

Stratovarious
12-18-2018, 12:58 PM
What are key differences between RINO's and Neo Conservatives?
I ask, cause I don't know....

Superfluous Man
12-18-2018, 01:00 PM

I don't like calling those folks RINO's.

Neoconservatives are the purest establishment Republicans. They are the heart and soul of the party and they represent the interests that the GOP exists to serve more than any others.

A Republican in name only, on the other hand, is exactly what Ron Paul was throughout his career. It should be a badge of honor.

Swordsmyth
12-18-2018, 02:21 PM

Neoconservatives are the purest establishment Republicans. They are the heart and soul of the party and they represent the interests that the GOP exists to serve more than any others.

A Republican in name only, on the other hand, is exactly what Ron Paul was throughout his career. It should be a badge of honor.
That is backwards, the Neocons were invaders from the Demoncrat party.

Swordsmyth
12-18-2018, 02:22 PM
RINO is a larger group, it includes those who sell out to the left on different issues than the Neocons.

Stratovarious
12-18-2018, 04:24 PM

I understand rino completely, it was the differences that I was looking for, thanks for the neocon
explanation , I would think though if they were the purest' estab repubs, the term neo wouldn't
apply.
I have always viewed Trump as a RINO, he doesn't really follow any party line, but of course
would have gone nowhere as an independent nor as a libertarian, that tide is changing though IMV.
I find Gary Johnson as nothing but a pure fake, posing as a libertarian, I'm not sure what he really is.

Superfluous Man
12-18-2018, 06:04 PM
That is backwards, the Neocons were invaders from the Demoncrat party.

Invaders into what though? That wasn't an infiltration, but a natural home coming.

What do you think the GOP establishment was all about before that, when it did all it could to shut down the candidacies of Taft, Goldwater, and Reagan back when he touted small government?

The Republican party has been the party of Marxism right from the days of Lincoln (https://www.newswithviews.com/Stang/alan30.htm).

Swordsmyth
12-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Invaders into what though? That wasn't an infiltration, but a natural home coming.

What do you think the GOP establishment was all about before that, when it did all it could to shut down the candidacies of Taft, Goldwater, and Reagan back when he touted small government?
Perhaps, but they were a different flavor that made things worse.

The Republican party has been the party of Marxism right from the days of Lincoln (https://www.newswithviews.com/Stang/alan30.htm).
That is true of their origins but they and the Democrat party went through a period in the late 1800's and early 1900's where they didn't really stand for anything, with conservatives and liberals in both parties and then they began to slowly separate into a liberal party and a (sort of) conservative party post WWII.

r3volution 3.0
12-18-2018, 09:39 PM
The Republican party has been the party of Marxism right from the days of Lincoln.

That might be a slight exaggeration, but only slight.

They've certainly always been a big government party; the big government party in the 19th century, the other one in the 20th.

On another note, or not, what kind of jackass would ever have had a Weekly Standard subscription?

Brian4Liberty
12-18-2018, 10:56 PM
Ron's still here, but Bill's all gone...

Continuous revolution. Keep inventing new organizations. Bill is alive and well at the Washington Free Beacon and a half dozen “think tanks” and “policy” institutes.