PDA

View Full Version : 22 lr hollow points. huh?

Lord Xar
10-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Hey all.

I own a .22 LR rifle semi-automatic. A simple rutger 10/22.

Anyways, I bought some ammo and it was .22 LR hollow point rounds.

Why hollow point? Is there a difference in .22 for hollow or non-hollow point? I understand hollow points in a .9mm or somesuch... but hollow points in a .22???

please advise.

noxagol
10-08-2008, 05:33 AM
It's the same as any hollow point. It is designed to mushroom out more than a normal point bullet so as to cause more damage to the target. It will also fragment easier, causing more damage. However, the trade off is that it will not penetrate as well against a hard object since it will flatten out more readily. You could drop a deer with a .22 hollow point if you hit it somewhere behind the ear.

Uriel999
10-08-2008, 10:34 AM
It's the same as any hollow point. It is designed to mushroom out more than a normal point bullet so as to cause more damage to the target. It will also fragment easier, causing more damage. However, the trade off is that it will not penetrate as well against a hard object since it will flatten out more readily. You could drop a deer with a .22 hollow point if you hit it somewhere behind the ear.

Maybe but chances are it would just hurt it requiring multiple shots and well I don't think that would be a very humane way to hunt. Shooting the center of mass is an easier shot as well unless perhaps your marky mark from shooter (hehehe lol). Keep the .22 on the varmints only. :)

chudrockz
10-08-2008, 12:42 PM
On the topic of .22 rifles, does anyone have experience with something called the GSG-5? I've been seeing them on a few websites (www.jgsales.com, www.rrarms.com) and checked out some video on the web. Looks very interesting. I want one!

Uriel999
10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
On the topic of .22 rifles, does anyone have experience with something called the GSG-5? I've been seeing them on a few websites (www.jgsales.com, www.rrarms.com) and checked out some video on the web. Looks very interesting. I want one!

Yeah those definitely look neat, but no personal experience.