PDA

View Full Version : Just finished watching the debate-Status Quo IMO-Can we SERIOUSILY write in Ron Paul?

helpUSplease
10-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm a newbie to this forum and I have a real question - I see in various forums and online news sites that allow comments where folks mention they are going to write in Ron Paul. Is this truly a viable option?

Does anyone know if write in votes would be counted?

BTW...I also read the recent forum thread in this site about the OK absentee ballot not including a place for a write in candidate. I'm shocked to read this - is this standard?

Then I also recently found out that the ballots in my State do not even identify third party candidates affiliations. They're all simpy listed as Independent. Again, is this standard?

Anyone versed in election procedure, or better yet election law?

Thank you in advance for the clarification.

SeanEdwards
10-07-2008, 08:43 PM
You can do whatever you want.

But write-in votes are not counted.

gls
10-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Write-in votes for Paul won't be counted because he didn't officially register as a write-in candidate (which I would assume means contacting the SoS/filing a list of electors). He will be on the ballot in Louisiana and Montana though as a third party candidate.

Oklahoma has the toughest ballot-access (and write-in eligibility) laws in the nation. IIRC it's the only state without a third-party/independent choice.

I'm not sure about listing third party candidates as independent. I do know that ocassionally a minor party nominee will choose to go the "Independent" route because the requirements are typically less difficult (fewer signatures needed, later deadline, etc.)

helpUSplease
10-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, Look what I found a blog dedicated to how write in votes are handled per State: http://writein2008.blogspot.com/

Quick - check out your State!!! There may be hope after all.

(My apologies to SeanEdwards & gls - I should have googled first. Thank you for the quick response.)

Sampling of some:
--------------------------
Alabama

In Alabama, a write-in candidate for President in the November 2008 general election does not have to do anything to have his/her votes counted.

All write-in votes will be counted.
--------------------------
Alaska

To be recognized as a write-in candidate for President in the 2008 General Election in Alaska, write-in candidates must file with the Division of Elections the following form:

Letter of Intent
Write-In Candidate For President and Vice President (.doc) .

Write-in votes will not be counted unless the Letter of Intent has been filed.
(AS 15.25.105)

For the November 4, 2008 General Election, the Write-in Candidates' Letter of Intent must be filed no later than October 30, 2008. [AS 15.25.105 (c)]

Division of Elections - Director's Office
Whitney H. Brewster, Director
240 Main Street, 4th Floor
PO Box 110017
Juneau, Alaska 99811-0017
Phone: (907) 465-4611
http://www.elections.state.ak.us
----------------------------------------------------------------

California

A candidate must file the following with the California Secretary of State’s Office by October 21, 2008:

1) A “Statement of Write-In Candidacy For President Of The United States” form.

2) 55 “Declaration Of Write-In Candidacy Presidential Elector” forms, each of which must be notarized.

The declarations of write-in candidacy must be filed with the Secretary of State in person or by mail. Please send your documents to:

Office of the California Secretary of State
Elections Division
ATTN: Candidates & Elections
1500 11th Street, 5th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814

Please indicate on the envelope “Declaration of Write-In Candidacy.” The Declarations of Write-In Candidacy must be received by the Secretary of State no later than October 21, 2008 (E-14). § 8652
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Jersey

There is no form or procedure needed to qualify to be a write-in candidate for President. Any voter can write-in a candidate's name. Write-in votes will only be tabulated if there are enough of them to contest the election.
--------------------------------------------------------------

gls
10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Yep, that site was made by the campaign of Frank Moore/Susan Block. They are a registered write-in here in CT. He's got my vote...I figure he can't be any worse than the crooks now running the country.

http://www.frankmooreforpresident08.com/images/fm.jpg

torchbearer
10-07-2008, 09:46 PM
It is not constitutional for you to vote directly on a presidential candidate unless you are an elected presidential elector.
You will need a slate of electors to vote on... this is not the same as voting in any other race.

Part of the reason why we get Ron Paul a slate of electors in Louisiana.

helpUSplease
10-07-2008, 11:21 PM
It is not constitutional for you to vote directly on a presidential candidate unless you are an elected presidential elector.
You will need a slate of electors to vote on... this is not the same as voting in any other race.

Part of the reason why we get Ron Paul a slate of electors in Louisiana.

With all due respect -- these are extraordinary times and the Constitution is being overturned daily by our government. I do appreciate Dr Paul's adherence to it. BUT IN THE MEANTIME, our Country is being overriden with corrupt politicians who have devised (or at least taken advantage of) a 'divide and conquer' strategy. And hence we are left with a two Party system, which you not even able to tell apart if it were not for them spouting non-partisan, democrat or repubilican whenever it suited their lobbyist or corporate contributors needs.

Unfortunately, for the sake of the Nation, we can no longer stand by nor be 'rolled over' again and if Ron Paul cannot see fit to do what is best for the United States, instead of the Republican party he has chosen and adhere to their arbitary rules, then he really is not much better than the corrupt politicians in power now.

I was extremely disappointed when he didn't elect to run as an independent presidential candidate when he so clearly had the doctrine for 'real change' in his hands.

The United States Constitution is a great foundation for any government, but our current United States Government has warped it beyond recognition. And we're dying out here!!!!!

torchbearer
10-08-2008, 05:36 AM
With all due respect -- these are extraordinary times and the Constitution is being overturned daily by our government. I do appreciate Dr Paul's adherence to it. BUT IN THE MEANTIME, our Country is being overriden with corrupt politicians who have devised (or at least taken advantage of) a 'divide and conquer' strategy. And hence we are left with a two Party system, which you not even able to tell apart if it were not for them spouting non-partisan, democrat or repubilican whenever it suited their lobbyist or corporate contributors needs.

Unfortunately, for the sake of the Nation, we can no longer stand by nor be 'rolled over' again and if Ron Paul cannot see fit to do what is best for the United States, instead of the Republican party he has chosen and adhere to their arbitary rules, then he really is not much better than the corrupt politicians in power now.

I was extremely disappointed when he didn't elect to run as an independent presidential candidate when he so clearly had the doctrine for 'real change' in his hands.

The United States Constitution is a great foundation for any government, but our current United States Government has warped it beyond recognition. And we're dying out here!!!!!

Yeah, let's just ignore the constitution whenever it fits our purpose... kinda like the people we are trying to replace.
Ron talks about the rule of Law. What are you talking about?

I told my fellow supporters in Louisiana that their vote wouldn't count without a slate of electors.
They got off their asses and got a slate on the ballot. If you haven't done this by now... it is your own fault.

Matt Collins
10-08-2008, 05:42 AM
In TN a write-in vote for Ron Paul will not be counted

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
10-08-2008, 11:23 AM
The Presidential race is over.

Go donate to BJ Lawson.

rwbris18
10-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Here's a crazy idea. :rolleyes:

Ask your State Senator to vote for Ron Paul in the Electoral College. The president is not chosen by popular vote... This is a Republic... NOT a Democracy remember.

YOUR VOTE REALLY DOESN'T COUNT.

According to the Constitution each state is to submit one name for President and one name for Vice-President at the Electorial College. These two names are to be residents from different states.

You can petition your State Senator, but I doubt they would go against the popular election in their state - Normal political process - unless there is someting written into each of your state's constitutions.