PDA

View Full Version : MASSACHUSETTS voting to ditch state income tax in ballot initiative

BarryDonegan
10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
anyone see this?

liberal massachusettes?

PatriotLegion
10-07-2008, 02:29 PM
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/07/tax-cutting-questions-appear-on-ballots-next-mo-1/

ihsv
10-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Hah! The voters will not only vote to keep the income tax, but they'll probably ask the gubmint to raise it.

Johnnybags
10-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Hah! The voters will not only vote to keep the income tax, but they'll probably ask the gubmint to raise it.

this time it will pass but the legislature will still not do it. Massachusetts is communist. Then a Mass exodus will begin.

gls
10-07-2008, 02:44 PM
I believe Carla Howell, a MA Libertarian Party/small government activist is behind this. She tried the same thing in 2002 when she was running for governor, and it came pretty close to passing IIRC (when hardly anyone thought it had a chance). The opposition is taking it more seriously this time; my friend in Boston said his company was sending out memos and hanging up fliers urging people to vote against it. It's a non-profit and they obviously don't want their state funding to dry up. I wouldn't be surprised if the teachers union was running dishonest commercials about it as well; urging people to "think of the children" and what not.

There's also a measure to decriminalize marijuana on the ballot, and I think one to ban even the prospect of dog tracks in the state. So obviously these ballot initiatives go both way. Personally I'd like to see a return to a strictly Constitutionally limited Republic form of government as opposed to more "democracy".

StudentForPaul08
10-07-2008, 03:11 PM
We are trying to do the same in PA, at least to get it on the ballot.

Carole
10-07-2008, 03:13 PM
anyone see this?

liberal massachusettes?
Yet the campaign to make it fail now is the "begging for a bailout" cry from its government, is it not?

Aratus
10-08-2008, 07:47 AM
in 2002, easily 45% of the voters liked the idea the last time it came up... it almost got voted in...