PDA

View Full Version : Chris for sheriff?

heavenlyboy34
10-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Are any of you familiar with Chris Will? Is she a decent candidate? Her site isn't very helpful. :(

heavenlyboy34
10-08-2008, 01:37 PM
bump for curiosity.

AZ Libertarian
10-18-2008, 02:08 PM
I know Chris and she is an exceptionally nice person - a staunch Libertarian that is going up against Joe Arpaio because nobody else would! That is some insight right there! She has taken on a huge undertaking with her candidacy, and she has met with Joe already. I will definitely be voting for her, and I tell everyone I meet that she would CLEAN HOUSE if she were elected. She has already brought up issues that we don't hear much about such as auto theft and the situation at the jails (food and sanitation).

heavenlyboy34
10-18-2008, 02:16 PM
I know Chris and she is an exceptionally nice person - a staunch Libertarian that is going up against Joe Arpaio because nobody else would! That is some insight right there! She has taken on a huge undertaking with her candidacy, and she has met with Joe already. I will definitely be voting for her, and I tell everyone I meet that she would CLEAN HOUSE if she were elected. She has already brought up issues that we don't hear much about such as auto theft and the situation at the jails (food and sanitation).

Thanks! She gets no exposure in the local media, so it's hard to find out about her. :(:mad:

AZ Libertarian
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I just got this from my AZ LP Candidates newsletter where she answers the question "What are your views on illegal immigrations?"

IMMIGRATION

Well, now, this sounds like a simple question, and I’m surprised it took so long to be asked. Many would like the public to continue to think it’s black and white, but we really need to stop and think. As sheriff I will be responsible for the safety of all people in my jurisdiction no matter what their immigration or citizenship status. There isn’t a simple answer and this sure can’t be fixed just by sweeping the streets clean of those we may object to for one reason or another.

The fact that people are dying in our deserts is a disgrace and should be an international embarrassment not only for the United States but for any country the dead came from. Worse yet is the fact that they often relied on others to get them here and these same people, coyotes, often capitalize on the survivors charges’ fear of being caught and sent back to squeeze survivors for more money and or match them to jobs in sweatshops or prostitution. Sure, the perception is that these people are breaking the law so what rights do they have… but that does not excuse the situation or mean we should look the other way when yet another crime is committed.

When I first moved to the Seattle area about 25 years ago I lived just north of SeaTac airport where many of the Green river murder victims were last seen. Many in society seemed to be of the opinion that whoever was responsible was doing the community a service by cleaning up the streets. The problem I had with that is that I was walking the same streets as the supposed ‘naughty’ girls and anyone’s friend or relative could have their car break down or otherwise find themselves walking that or any other questionable neighborhood. Nobody deserves to be robbed, raped murdered or otherwise violated and have authorities look the other way just because of something in their past or present, real or imagined.

What can anyone to fix this? More than you might think. Consider the source-why are people coming here? Did they come here correctly and their visas just expired, or did they just come without prior approval? Not all come from south of the border. Most come for opportunity, and although many come to prey upon others they are not the majority.

Enforcement can not and will not fix this very complex problem, it can only react to it. I rather favour Chief Gascon’s approach and will take his and other policies and their effectiveness into consideration before making final decisions. Do you want officers investigating and writing up every single offense, no matter how minor, just to clear out the intruders or do you want them to refer minor offenders to the appropriate agency to fully investigate if, how and why someone is here illegally and take appropriate action so that our officers can focus on more serious and immediate threats to our safety? This is becoming more important now that budgets and resources are tightening and by no means makes any jurisdiction a sanctuary. As a matter of fact, proper coordination and cooperation between agencies to address the core issues of security properly makes us all safer. We need to focus on what we do best.

If someone has overstayed their visa, why is that? I have known people affected by delays in paperwork, and it impacts more than just the person holding the visa that’s about to expire. Do they stay and hope they don’t get caught before their paperwork is complete? Should they quit their job, walk out on their lease or sell their house (in this market?) and hope their job will be there when they get back? How about the employer who has to hire someone in the interim? Hiring, training and retaining employees takes time and resources, and if they aren’t a good fit the employer has to start all over. The landlord also has a vacant unit to fill or a home buyer may get a good deal, but that’s one more house on the market that sellers really don’t need to compete with right now.

And back to why ‘they’ are here and what can be done to fix this. How are other countries dealing with this? Yes, other countries have immigration problems, too. Italy , Germany , France , England , Canada and even Mexico among many others are dealing with visitor pressures. Diplomacy can only go so far. One government can suggest and negotiate with another on any issue, but consider how long that takes and how effective that has been in the past.

Research your representatives in government and find out what they’ve done and are doing and how they can change things. Is making new laws really the answer to anything? What’s working and what isn’t? What policies, agencies, and laws can be revamped, improved, rewritten, streamlined or even eliminated to improve any issue?

Outsourcing has been a hot topic for years, and it’s very difficult to shop All American anymore. That said, how can we make this an opportunity for consumer diplomacy? What products or services do you buy whose makers have international facilities? What opportunities for improvement can we make them aware of in any society those companies have chosen to be part of and how can we encourage them to make those improvements in conditions such as education, healthcare, or the environment in general? Consumers have and can continue to change corporate attitudes and policies; we just have to take the time.

The same goes for churches. Most of us go to church at least occasionally. Where are the other congregations? What do they need? How can we help? International or domestic, churches of all denominations have been and continue to be instrumental in providing and improving education, social services, healthy food and water, and innumerable other things. Talk to your pastor, priest or minister and find out what you can do, how you can help.

Don’t think that just because you don’t have much time, money, or resources yourself that you can’t make a difference. Every little bit does help, and if it is well thought out the impact can be huge. One drop may be just one drop, but a lot of little drops can quickly turn into a flood. Pick a cause, any cause, find out what is already being done and by whom (why reinvent the wheel?) to make conditions better so people in less fortunate situations can have better options to chose from. Simple charity is fine as far as it goes, but operations that help ‘teach people to fish’ so they can sooner or later continue to improve their situation on their own can make a far greater impact on lives, and isn’t that what we’re all trying to do every day for ourselves anyway? Taking even a little time to be part of the solution can make a bigger difference than you might expect.

We are all ultimately responsible for our own situation and safety, but any of us may occasionally need a bit of help to get through a rough spot. Look around, start by taking care of yourself, then look to your family, friends, neighbours and community. Set a good example and eventually everything will improve. We can do this and if we work together the world can only get better.

Chris Will

nickcoons
10-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks! She gets no exposure in the local media, so it's hard to find out about her. :(:mad:

I agree with "AZ Libertarian", Chris Will is an excellent candidate. I see and chat with her each month at the MCLP meetings. And she was on PBS just a few nights ago answering questions along with Dan Saban (Arpaio's Democratic opponent).