smithtg
10-07-2008, 11:39 AM
man what did he say?

manny229
10-07-2008, 11:50 AM
How can things possibly get worse?

enjerth
10-07-2008, 11:51 AM
That Bernanke character sure knows how to send stocks into a tumble.

Ok, so he's either gotta be dumb as shit, or he's executing a plan that involves crashing the market.

Since when is the Chairman of the FED supposed to be a public speaker?

socialize_me
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Get worse can how things possibly?

LibertyEagle
10-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Bush is now speaking.

ShowMeLiberty
10-07-2008, 11:54 AM
man what did he say?

Bernanke opens door to Fed cutting rates
Tells economists financial crisis could prolong economic pain for some time

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27070532/

manny229

Now speak President .... worse things now....:eek:

Bruno
As Bush is speaking, the Dow is continually dropping on the ticker. No confidence.

Johnnybags
10-07-2008, 11:56 AM
because they owe the FED all the profits? LOL, Bernanke is taking over the world. Finance em into oblivion Uncle Ben.

Liberty Rebellion
10-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I watched Schiff on Beck last night, he said the market is tanking sharper than normal due to the ban on shorting. Can anyone elaborate on how banning shorts would serve to make the declines in the market worse?

socialize_me
10-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I watched Schiff on Beck last night, he said the market is tanking sharper than normal due to the ban on shorting. Can anyone elaborate on how banning shorts would serve to make the declines in the market worse?

When you short, you have to Buy to Cover. Shorts usually don't get greedy and take profits when they're available. They buy back the stock they shorted, or borrowed, from their brokerage firm and when that happens, those are the people buying on dips which drives the prices back up.

rancher89
10-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Peter is on BTM right now

http://www.breakthematrix.com/channels/2

ARealConservative
10-07-2008, 12:11 PM
how many times are people going to claim the market is crashing?

It is unwinding slowly. In 1987 we lost 25% in a single day, yesterday at it's worse, it was down 7% and right now it is down about 2%.

socialize_me
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM

It is unwinding slowly. In 1987 we lost 25% in a single day, yesterday at it's worse, it was down 7% and right now it is down about 2%.

In less than a year, we have lost over 35% in the Dow. Yesterday the Dow fell over 800 points with some recovery. How isn't this crashing??

ARealConservative
10-07-2008, 12:25 PM
In less than a year, we have lost over 35% in the Dow. Yesterday the Dow fell over 800 points with some recovery. How isn't this crashing??

If I hit something with my car at .5 miles per hour, I don't refer to it as a crash. This unwind is happening to slow to be referred to in economic terms as a crash.

the year to date change is 26%, not 35% BTW.

JaylieWoW
10-07-2008, 12:32 PM

AND

AND

If I hit something with my car at .5 miles per hour, I don't refer to it as a crash. This unwind is happening to slow to be referred to in economic terms as a crash.

Although the last statement does make the point nicely. I would add that when I see a title to a thread that says the "Market is Crashing" or the "Dow TANKING", I expect to go to Money.CNN.com and find the Dow down like 1,000+ points or at least 10% or more.

ghengis86
10-07-2008, 12:33 PM

what is the criteria for a crash? >25% in one day? or >50% in a year? from 1930-1932 the market lost 86% of its value; is this not a crash since it happened over two years?

tpreitzel
10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Personally, I define crash as the bloody scene at the foot of skyscrapers.

JaylieWoW
10-07-2008, 12:38 PM

:p

ghengis86
10-07-2008, 12:40 PM

what about the bloody scene of a MBA's home?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27053712/

does that qualify? or is there a minimum number

ghengis86
10-07-2008, 12:41 PM
:p

smiley face at people comminting suicide? that's like cheering the fall of the DOW!

wizardwatson
10-07-2008, 12:49 PM
smiley face at people comminting suicide? that's like cheering the fall of the DOW!

One suicide.

Suiciding your family because your twisted brain thinks its honorable and you declare yourself God in your patriarchal delusions is not "people committing suicide". Its one suicide and 5 murders. Its also cowardly.

Not criticizing Ghengis' post, these 'honor' killings just piss me off though.

JaylieWoW
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM

Lacking a sense of humor today? Gee whiz... maybe this board is going to the dogs!

tpreitzel
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM

Yes, it's kind of like cheering the downside of the DJIA. I was partly joking and I suspect something similar from JaylieWoW, but one can't really feel too sorry for people's loss when most of them were lapping up the excess about 10 years ago. I remember clearly the naked greed from individual investors to municipal investors and the warnings attached thereof. Personally, I'm rather indifferent to their current woes although those woes will directly affect me and others. Risk is always involved. If one is so dependent on solely money for his well being, then maybe it's time to either jump or reevaluate one's priorities in life. Hopefully, the latter decision will be made.

ghengis86
10-07-2008, 12:56 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27036625/
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DepressionNews/story?id=5444573&page=1
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_102607_news_foreclosure_suicide.1aab71c53.html (granted, this was a year ago).

more than one person is people. people are commiting suicide. and i detest "honor" killings as well

ghengis86
10-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes, it's kind of like cheering the downside of the DJIA. I was partly joking and I suspect something similar from JaylieWoW, but one can't really feel too sorry for people's loss when most of them were lapping up the excess about 10 years ago. I remember clearly. the naked greed from individual investors to municipal investors and the warnings attached. Personally, I'm rather indifferent to their current woes although those woes will directly affect me and others. Risk is always involved. If one is so dependent on solely money for his well being, then maybe it's time to either jump or reevaluate one's priorities in life. Hopefully, the latter decision will be made.

and to JaylieWOW:

I was just using your posts as a jest to other forum members. yesterday i was lambasted for post the thread 'I'm Cheering the Fall of the DOW!"

nothing personal and I do have a sense of humor.

ghengis86
10-07-2008, 01:02 PM
anyways, back to the original topic of the market crashing:

what is the definition of a crash? is there a sliding scale for % loss over time? like a said before, -25% in one day = -86% in two years? when does a correction become a crash? or do we skip crash and plummet headlong into depression/recession?

JaylieWoW
10-07-2008, 01:03 PM
And for the record, I was not involved with the "cheering for the DOW fall" yesterday.

I think you need to step back for a second and realize that most things said in humor are to make light of more serious matters. By doing so, it sometimes allows us to cope better by taking the weight off our shoulders.

I'm just as unsure, somewhat frightened and completely horrified at the thought of people killing themselves and their families and whatever ill advised actions they pursue in order to "deal" with the current crises of here and now.

However, I find that taking things so seriously that you cannot even crack a little smile or a small giggle at something obviously intended to make light of a situation is precisely the kind of thing that will drive you absolutely mad.

Chill out ok? I can't speak for everyone else but I am certainly not "cheering" anyone's demise. Well, other than inanimate things like the Federal Reserve, IRS, and so on and so forth.

OK then ghengis86, disregard then. Nuff said.

ghengis86
10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
And for the record, I was not involved with the "cheering for the DOW fall" yesterday.

I think you need to step back for a second and realize that most things said in humor are to make light of more serious matters. By doing so, it sometimes allows us to cope better by taking the weight off our shoulders.

I'm just as unsure, somewhat frightened and completely horrified at the thought of people killing themselves and their families and whatever ill advised actions they pursue in order to "deal" with the current crises of here and now.

However, I find that taking things so seriously that you cannot even crack a little smile or a small giggle at something obviously intended to make light of a situation is precisely the kind of thing that will drive you absolutely mad.

Chill out ok? I can't speak for everyone else but I am certainly not "cheering" anyone's demise. Well, other than inanimate things like the Federal Reserve, IRS, and so on and so forth.

Again, I apologize if you took that personally, my comments should have included the qualifier that I wasn't condemning you.

freelance
10-07-2008, 01:14 PM

I have learned my lesson about asking that very question.

NEPA_Revolution
10-07-2008, 01:34 PM
This is ridiculous... and btw tin foil hat time, but did anyone see this on the side of the article.

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/ArtAndPhoto-Fronts/BUSINESS/Projects/Economy%20turmoil/TZ_298_Economy_Turmoil.jpg

Anyone else see they eye in clear view?

ihsv
10-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a sinking feeling that the Titanic is doing down... no pun intended

ghengis86
10-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I have a sinking feeling that the Titanic is doing down... no pun intended

lol, thanks for answering the question that no one asked (did he mean to use the word sinking while referencing the titanic, a giant unsinkable ship that sunk? no? then why didn't he....oh wait, just got past the ellipsis!)
:D

angelatc
10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
When you short, you have to Buy to Cover. Shorts usually don't get greedy and take profits when they're available. They buy back the stock they shorted, or borrowed, from their brokerage firm and when that happens, those are the people buying on dips which drives the prices back up.

Except that most short sellers actually borrow to cover. The whole point of shorting is to postpone buying it, betting that you'll make more in profit than you pay in interest.