PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question

dude58677
10-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Suppose you are accused of not paying taxes and you see the IRS laws as unconstitutional, what questions do you ask at jury selection?

bg1654
10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
A good one to ask might be, "How many judges will there be in the court room?"

dude58677
10-07-2008, 08:46 AM
A good one to ask might be, "How many judges will there be in the court room?"

Should I ask, what has been your choice for President? If they mention Ron Paul, they are in. Would this work?

pacelli
10-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Suppose you are accused of not paying taxes and you see the IRS laws as unconstitutional, what questions do you ask at jury selection?

Hypothetically, I would object at the prosecutor's opening statement saying "Citizens of the United States are required to pay taxes", and require the prosecution prove that the accused is actually a member of that group.

Elwar
10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
You ask if jury members tend to think and act based on logic and reason or based on emotion.

I was on a jury trial and that is what one lawyer asked. Fortunately for him he had me on the jury. The trial was to determine if it was the doctor who was at fault for this poor old man's health problems that his widow was suing for.
After all of the FACTs were presented it was a fact that the doctor was not at fault.

The jury knew he was not at fault but still felt bad for the family so they wanted to at least give them enough money for the medical bills. I ended up standing my ground on the fact that the doctor wasn't guilty. Everyone eventually conceded that he wasn't guilty and that the family was not justified in getting any money.

Turns out the family had sued every doctor that the old man had seen and another doctor who was actually at fault settled out of court.

In an income tax trial they will ask the jury..."you all pay your taxes, you all contribute, why should this guy not have to pay?" "how would we pay for our roads and the paychecks for our soldiers without taxes?"
emotion is their weapon of choice because it works

Elwar
10-07-2008, 09:14 AM
and don't forget, the prosecutor gets to drop jury members as well, if you choose all Ron Paul supporters they may reject all Ron Paul supporters. They are there when you ask your questions.