PDA

View Full Version : Delta Force officer: US officials stopped plans to kill bin Laden

speech
10-07-2008, 02:51 AM
After September 11, 2001, a team of elite Delta Force commandos was sent into Afghanistan with an assignment to find and kill Osama bin Laden at Tora Bora -- but that mission failed.

The commander of the Delta Force team has now written a book which tells what he says is the true story of what went wrong. He appeared anonymously on CBS's 60 Minutes on Sunday to summarize that story.

Bin Lad More..en was known to be holed up at Tora Bora on a ridge with an elevation of 14,000 feet. The Delta Force team's initial plan was to come at him from the direction he'd least expect, climbing over the mountains at his back, but that plan wasn't approved by the higher-ups. Their second idea, to drop hundreds of landmines along the mountain passes to Pakistan to impede bin Laden's retreat and then bring in helicopters, was also turned down.

"How often does Delta come up with a tactical plan that's disapproved by higher headquarters?" CBS's Scott Pelley asked the commando leader.

"In my experience, in my five years at Delta, never before," he replied.

The only remaining option was a frontal assault by 50 US Delta Force members plus their Afghan guides -- and the Afghan warlord accompanying the commandos frankly told them, "I don't think you guys can handle it." A few million dollars from the CIA quickly secured his cooperation, but only to a degree.
http://shockdoctrine.blogspot.com/2008/10/delta-force-officer-us-officials.html

LiveFree79
10-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Drop hundreds of land mines in the mountain passes that lead to Pakistan? Yeah that's a great idea! 50 men? what a joke!

Delta=Fucking Morons!

Bottomline is the U.S. military is powerful and strong enough to get ANYONE ANYWHERE in the world. Afghan mountains or not. This is the 21st century not the fucking 1980's. Our government is corrupted they needed Bin Laden alive to keep the wheels of the War on Terror alive.

FindLiberty
10-07-2008, 06:22 AM
can't have a 100 year war if you kill off your enemy right away!

Truth Warrior
10-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Yep, I just smelled a NWO rat immediately when the whole Tora Bora "farce" went down. ;) :mad:

SWATH
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Drop hundreds of land mines in the mountain passes that lead to Pakistan? Yeah that's a great idea! 50 men? what a joke!

Delta=Fucking Morons!

Bottomline is the U.S. military is powerful and strong enough to get ANYONE ANYWHERE in the world. Afghan mountains or not. This is the 21st century not the fucking 1980's. Our government is corrupted they needed Bin Laden alive to keep the wheels of the War on Terror alive.

Delta=knows their shit. Their task was to seek and destroy nothing less, if they had had a nuclear football with them, I'm sure it too would have been considered at some point.
Civilian leadership (aka. higher-ups)=fucking morons! Don't send Delta if you don't want them to kill things and break stuff.

LiveFree79
10-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Delta=knows their shit.
Civilian leadership (aka. higher-ups)=fucking morons!

LOL....dropping hundreds of land mines into a remote mountain pass leading into Pakistan is "knowing their shit"? Special Ops are WAY overrated. We could have surrounded that place with a couple Marine battalions and Apache attack choppers and AC130 gunships. The bottomline is our government and Bush really didn't want Bin Laden dead.

tmosley
10-07-2008, 09:36 AM
LOL....dropping hundreds of land mines into a remote mountain pass leading into Pakistan is "knowing their shit"? Special Ops are WAY overrated. We could have surrounded that place with a couple Marine battalions and Apache attack choppers and AC130 gunships. The bottomline is our government and Bush really didn't want Bin Laden dead.

Umm, no matter how strong you think the US military is, they don't have teleporters.

They had to work with what they had. Mountain passes are narrow, a few hundred land mines would certainly have slowed their retreat long enough for them to get backup, simply because they would have to go on foot, spread out, and move slowly. If they were actually proximity mines, it would have stopped them from using those passes altogether.

SWATH
10-07-2008, 10:08 AM

I agree the government doesn't want him dead. I was saying in late 2001, "Whether he was involved in 9/11 or not we will never get Bin Laden because we don't want to, he is the perfect boogy man"

coyote_sprit
10-07-2008, 10:11 AM
A president 100 years from now: We're gonna get Osama bin Laden one of these days.